What are your weaknesses?

Options
I was eating my salad for lunch while watching my daughter eat pizza. When she asked for more, it was all I could to do not eat the crust she didn't want. This got me thinking, what are your biggest areas of weakness? Not necessarily food, but also actions?

For me, I have a hard time not snacking on my kids' food. If I make a PBJ, I have to cut the crust off...and I want to eat it. When I make them pizza, they don't always eat the toppings, or sometimes the crust....and I want to eat it. I love pasta, so when they eat fettuccine alfredo, spaghetti, mac n cheese, or WHATEVER...I want to eat it. It's insane!!

I'm also a snacker. I will eat when I'm not hungry just because I'm bored.

I'm doing better though! My snacks lately have been fruit, or nothing at all. My daughter's lunch hasn't touched my tongue, and my "night time sweet" is either a Hershey's Kiss or a Meltaway...not a heaping bowl of ice cream with loads of chocolate syrup.

Baby steps :wink:

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Since I started this, mine has always been a fear of missing out. I can control it, but the hardest thing is an open tin of chocolates in the office at work.

When it's closed, it's fine. As soon as someone opens it and people start eating from it, my brain tells me "If you don't eat some of those chocolates soon, everyone else will have them", and that's still torture, even now. I just control it by reminding myself, though it takes a lot, that it doesn't matter if everyone else DOES eat them because in reality I don't want them either.
  • th2much
    th2much Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am a bored snacker :frown: and Chocolates get me :( but since yesterday I am talking to myself say that no longer I am going to treat my body as a garbage . I need to respect it by heating healthy and taking care of it :drinker:
  • pretty_ribbons
    pretty_ribbons Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    fried chicken, chinese food, home made fairy cakes, cheese toasties, tinsletown burgers
  • jeerzree
    Options
    I"m also a mommy picker... picking at the kids food..tasting it to see if its too hot. (excuse). When cooking meals i keep tasting them to "check" seasonings. Wow didnt even realize that one til i typed it. My biggest weakness is chips!! Any kind of potato chips....
  • onewarmmomma
    onewarmmomma Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Chocolate gets me, too. I still eat it, but only a couple pieces a day, and I try not to have them together. Like after lunch, if I feel that sweet tooth coming on I grab 1 kiss. After dinner, I'll grab another. It's just enough to keep me satisfied, but not enough to keep me fat! LOL
  • xodaniellle
    Options
    Anything sugary, especially gummy worms!!
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Mine is homemade bread products. Wheat bread, cornbread, flour tortillas...anything like that. I try not to bake bread too often because I know I will eat about 90% of it in a few days. I made 4 loaves of sourdough bread for the Christmas visitors we had. I ate two loaves by myself. I LOVE bread!!
  • gwmedicgod
    gwmedicgod Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem areas.... but it's finishing my wife's food when we go out to eat.(I hate seeing food go to waste.. whether I'm full or not).. and snacking out of bordem & espically when watching TV... very hard old habits to break.... need to either start snacking on healthy food (i.e. raw carrots, etc.) or fight the urge all together...
  • Auspiciousgirl
    Options
    Emotional eater here! It's been my go-to behaviour since I was a kid, but didn't affect my weight until I hit my 20's. Unlearning that is difficult, but worth it! Yet if I have a bad day and I'm at the grocery store, those potato chips start calling my name. It's getting easier to be strong and learn moderation, but it's always something that I need to monitor for myself.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i am not a chocolate fan though i did have a huge amount over the Christmas holidays as they were given to me as gift and it seem abit odd to get rid of them. Ice cream is a major weakness for me!

Portion control is also my weakness

Also carbs. I do love bread, pasta and rice
  • PudgyPigeon
    PudgyPigeon Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bored Snacking-

Especially if there are chips, granola bars, or those 150 snack packs. I have learned that for me to break this habit- I have to remove the food from the house. No matter how much I want them- I can't bring them in otherwise events like lastnight and today will happen. My husband bought a bag of chips (per my request to have with turkey burgers) and I thought I had this under control; Count out the amount of chips and that is it- but nope- the bag was left open on the counter and before I even realized what I was doing- I had chips in my hand.

As for other little goodies around the house I am not sure why I do this but I will continue to walk into the kitchen and check the fridge or pantry for things to snack on. I'll do this several times a day knowing full well nothing has changed until I finally give in and grab not one- but two granola bars or snack packs. So, I've removed those from the house as well and put fruits and veggies in their place. Now- when I do this I have no choice but to pick a better option.
  • VonRockette
    VonRockette Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Movie. Theatre. Popcorn.

I cannot go near a movie theatre if it's not my "free" day! I can't see a movie without it.
  • likeaphoenix28
    Options
    Junk food (candy, cakes, chips, etc.) and emotional eating (I eat when I'm anxious or bored). Le sigh.
  • LegzyK
    LegzyK Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Good Italian Bread w/olive oil.....and potato chips...can't stop eating them once i start :noway:
  • Leigh2778
    Leigh2778 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Food! Haha-sweets, particularly chocolate, and other carbs (bread, chips, etc). We buy chips only rarely, because both my husband and I have issues with wanting to eat the whole bag.
    I am also an emotional eater, and an "I'm bored" eater. I just started on MFP last week, so I'm really trying to learn cues and learn ways to distract myself. I've never NOT known what was healthy and what wasn't, it's just that, at times, I don't care. So the bad attitude needs to go, also.
    Fast food also used to be a huge issue for me, but since I'm not working right now, it's not right at this moment. Fast food doesn't even really taste good! Crazy. I'm my own worst enemy. lol
  • Brandie1029
    Brandie1029 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    mashed potatoes, french fries, pizza, and ice cream mmmm........
  • mna3631
    Options
    Cheese, pasta, and chocolate!
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    full frontal nudity....gets me everytime...

food wise, chocolate milk. Love me some chocolate milk.
  • kar2083
    kar2083 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Chips. I can't just take them out of my house because when I have an intense craving I will leave the house and drive to the store to buy them. What worked for me best was the 90 calorie bags of crispy minis. I figure if I crack and eat two bags then I've only had 180 calories and by the second bag I force myself to stop.
    I'm also a bored and emotional snacker. I'm trying to get a better handle on it too.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Beer, wine, and fast food. I do much better avoiding all three these days but still enjoy them as part of my diet when the calories fit. We are having a pizza and a movie night Thursday with the kids and I am SO looking forward to a slice or two!