Too many mushrooms? (LADIES ONLY!)

Options
2»

Replies

• Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I realize men can get them also, but just didn't want to discuss womanly probs with men, really....

I don't like yogUrt. :)

And thanks, i'll have to pick up some kefir!
  • StrlJmnz
    Options
    I also drink kefir.
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    No - completely different yeast!
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    This is so sexist! Men can get yeast infections too.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms you eat cannot cause yeast infections, even if you stuck them up your lady parts (or man parts, as the case may be). The organism that causes yeast infections is a completely different species.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I was just told that eating too many mushrooms can give you a yeast infection? :ohwell:

I blew it off, but then I thought about it, and........I guess they ARE a fungus... and it seems I DO have that prob sometimes... and I DO eat mushrooms like they're going out of style. :laugh:

I swear I'm not stupid, I just don't know much about that stuff. :frown:

Is this possible?... :noway:

Who told you this?? lol ...

Also, I used to get yeast infections a lot when I wasn't taking care of my body ... Eating a lot of fast food and not drinking enough water. Dunno if that helps.
  • Mama_CAEI
    Mama_CAEI Posts: 235
    Options
    No...what you eat doesn't give you yeast infections. If you're prone to them, it's a good idea to take an immunity booster, like ModuCare, to make yourself less susceptible to infections in general. (Btw, yeast loves warm and sweaty conditions so another thing that could help is changing/ showering right after a workout) Hope this helps!

Actually what you eat *can* contribute. Candida albicans thrives on sugar. (That's why diabetics are more prone to thrush/yeast infections.) The changes in hormones caused by pregnancy can also make you more suceptible to them.
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

Actually what you eat *can* contribute. Candida albicans thrives on sugar. (That's why diabetics are more prone to thrush/yeast infections.) The changes in hormones caused by pregnancy can also make you more suceptible to them.

Thank you, that actually makes sense...
  • EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Christi, I didn't know that about sugar.

So on the flip side, what are some other foods that contain probiotics? (other than yogurt)

You can buy it in pill or liquid drops. BiaGaia is a really good one. The best ones will cost you a bit of $ and typically have to be kept refrigerated so they are usually behind the pharmacy counter. Of course not getting a yeast infection is priceless so they are well worth the Money.

Most of the foods you listed are "Fermented" but
    Most commercial sauerkraut (and pickles, for that matter) is preserved in vinegar instead of the traditional (and naturally occurring) lactobacterial-salt slurry. Unless the producer adds bacteria, store bought sauerkraut is usually pasteurized and bereft of taste and nutrients. Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fermented-foods-health/#ixzz1j5Vukm7E"
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Cranberry juice is good for UTIs, not yeast infections. Be careful when buying cranberry juice though (and don't bother with cranberry pills, they are made with just the skins and doctors are not sure yet if the effectiveness at preventing [it does not cure it though!] UTIs is through the pulp or skin), because most cranberry juice is either synthetically flavored apple juice or contains very little cranberry. I like RW Knudsen brand Organic Just Cranberry. It is expensive, but you will probably want to water it down to 1 part cranberry and 3 parts water anyways since it is so strong tasting!

I am going to try this again because I mistakenly made a post that appeared to be self-promoting, but it wasn't...sorry about that. Some cranberry pill supplements are helpful because some companies use the cranberry juice and spray dry it. Beta-Glucanase is the biggest thing to look for because it breaks down the bio-film of the cell walls in bacteria, yeast, and fungus which is what makes them resistant to drug therapy. I have been using one with great success and will swear by the product.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Kefir is like a liquid yogurt-you can buy it most any supermarket with the yogurt. To me, it is like liquidy yogurt with a-I don't know how to explain it-it is kind of like effervescense but it isn't actually bubbly like a soda.
  • summerjo621
    Options
    Becareful of artificial sugars too. The one and only time I've had one, my gyno said one of the biggest contributors are artificial sweeteners. (I had just started using them a couple of weeks before that).
  • Nos150
    Nos150 Posts: 150
    Options
    I'd think you'd have to do something with the mushroom other than merely eat it to get an infection

Buwhahahah!
  • btpeanut
    btpeanut Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    my daughter gets them but thats because she insist on wearing her skinny jeans size 0 she needs to up a size:)
  • Jvia1234
    Options
    You can buy unsweetened cranberry juices if you're diabetic.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms you eat cannot cause yeast infections, even if you stuck them up your lady parts (or man parts, as the case may be). The organism that causes yeast infections is a completely different species.

Regardless of how much fun it may be.