Are cheat/spike days a mistake? Scared to try it

Options

Replies

• Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Cheat days are ok I guess unless you are a compulsive food addict type of person. I know if i cheat it sets up the uncontrollable compulsion to keep eating badly. One day quickly turns into multiple days, weeks and months and then afterwards the awful feelings of guilt and remorse. So if you have the ability to cheat for one meal or one day and then stop go for it. But if you find it hard to stop then I would say cheating is not for you. I know its not for me.

If you an unlock that and come to terms with it you might just be better off all around. I use to be that way but now I got something to look forward to. Its not a cheat now, its earned. I calculate it, measure it. I also stick it in a window. So I will consume all my cals in this window once the window closes the session is over. It very structured versus "cheating" "binging"

When I go into the cabinet on a saturday when I a home and just grab something and eat I can still feel that anxiety. But if I plan for it I don't

I wish it was that easy, its not. After trying to do just that for the past 10 years with no success I have come to realize that it just does not work for me that way. People who do not have this compulsion do not understand. They always think if you would just apply enough will power you could do it. Well if I could apply the will power to do so I would not be fat. I have plenty of will power, I have run 8 marathons in the past 4 years. Its not will power, its more like a disease. For me, it works best if I do not cheat. If I want to eat more calories, then I run further so I can eat more. But for me its important that the foods I eat stay healthy. I can not go out to a restaurant and eat decadant meals, ever. Those days are over for me unless I want to stay fat. The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting differant results. I've been there and done that.

I do not disagree with this. But to say you don't know what you are doing I would disagree with. Your got your game locked up. Keep pushing and winning at what you are doing. There is not one path from A to Z, there are many. We are just on different patsh.

See you at the finish line? I can't seem to find it thought! HEH
    GL

Awesome, awesome posts here - puts a lot of this into perspective. I wish I could try spiking just for this so-called "metabolism push" but the food addict in me is very anxious about even trying. I might try a jump in calories once a week and just fill those calories with "good" food instead of the things my food addict wants. (Pizza and cupcakes... LOL)

I do enjoy the occasional indulgence that I "make up" for by borrowing calories from other days and working out extra hard, BUT I really have to watch that runaway train that can start up if I get a taste of something "bad".

I guess it takes some experimentation and some strolls down ALL the different paths that can get you from A to B - then pick the path that has the least amount of tree stumps in the way for you personally.

I understand the fear, but my days are calculated. It's not chaos. Most people would be fine spiking at 3,000 calories or so. That could be 3 larger meals, like pancakes for breakfast, burgers and fries for lunch, and pizza for dinner. Then mix in a few fun snacks.
    If guess if you feel like you need to give up those foods forever and your ok with that then it's your choice. There's numerous ways to lose weight. This way just works extra well for keeping it off long-term.

OMG!!! Sunday 4k spike day after a gruesome Back Biceps Triceps day. I will break my fast at 10 am. I am going to start my lovely spike day with French Toast and Egg Whites with Turkey Bacon. I am thinking I will use whole wheat bread 10 slices. 12 Egg Whites and maybe 8 pieces of turkey bacon. THE REEEEEEEEEEFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED. I will look to push a 2000 calorie meal. Maybe get a little crazy and have some cocoa pebbles!! lol
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Cheat days are ok I guess unless you are a compulsive food addict type of person. I know if i cheat it sets up the uncontrollable compulsion to keep eating badly. One day quickly turns into multiple days, weeks and months and then afterwards the awful feelings of guilt and remorse. So if you have the ability to cheat for one meal or one day and then stop go for it. But if you find it hard to stop then I would say cheating is not for you. I know its not for me.

If you an unlock that and come to terms with it you might just be better off all around. I use to be that way but now I got something to look forward to. Its not a cheat now, its earned. I calculate it, measure it. I also stick it in a window. So I will consume all my cals in this window once the window closes the session is over. It very structured versus "cheating" "binging"

When I go into the cabinet on a saturday when I a home and just grab something and eat I can still feel that anxiety. But if I plan for it I don't

I wish it was that easy, its not. After trying to do just that for the past 10 years with no success I have come to realize that it just does not work for me that way. People who do not have this compulsion do not understand. They always think if you would just apply enough will power you could do it. Well if I could apply the will power to do so I would not be fat. I have plenty of will power, I have run 8 marathons in the past 4 years. Its not will power, its more like a disease. For me, it works best if I do not cheat. If I want to eat more calories, then I run further so I can eat more. But for me its important that the foods I eat stay healthy. I can not go out to a restaurant and eat decadant meals, ever. Those days are over for me unless I want to stay fat. The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting differant results. I've been there and done that.

I do not disagree with this. But to say you don't know what you are doing I would disagree with. Your got your game locked up. Keep pushing and winning at what you are doing. There is not one path from A to Z, there are many. We are just on different patsh.

GL

Awesome, awesome posts here - puts a lot of this into perspective. I wish I could try spiking just for this so-called "metabolism push" but the food addict in me is very anxious about even trying. I might try a jump in calories once a week and just fill those calories with "good" food instead of the things my food addict wants. (Pizza and cupcakes... LOL)

I do enjoy the occasional indulgence that I "make up" for by borrowing calories from other days and working out extra hard, BUT I really have to watch that runaway train that can start up if I get a taste of something "bad".

I guess it takes some experimentation and some strolls down ALL the different paths that can get you from A to B - then pick the path that has the least amount of tree stumps in the way for you personally.

I understand the fear, but my days are calculated. It's not chaos. Most people would be fine spiking at 3,000 calories or so. That could be 3 larger meals, like pancakes for breakfast, burgers and fries for lunch, and pizza for dinner. Then mix in a few fun snacks.
    If guess if you feel like you need to give up those foods forever and your ok with that then it's your choice. There's numerous ways to lose weight. This way just works extra well for keeping it off long-term.

OMG!!! Sunday 4k spike day after a gruesome Back Biceps Triceps day. I will break my fast at 10 am. I am going to start my lovely spike day with French Toast and Egg Whites with Turkey Bacon. I am thinking I will use whole wheat bread 10 slices. 12 Egg Whites and maybe 8 pieces of turkey bacon. THE REEEEEEEEEEFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED. I will look to push a 2000 calorie meal. Maybe get a little crazy and have some cocoa pebbles!! lol

Ok this is my first meal Sunday. I got excited reading this post so I decided I would gamplan 4 days in advance! LOL
    Not sure if the bottom is legible but this is what I Started!! French toast with Strawberries and 12 egg whites!
    Around 1600 cals right now

Stroehmann Dutch Country - Stroehmann Dutch Country Whole Wheat Bread, 10 slice 900 180 15 40 30 2,000
    Pete's - Egg White Omelet, 12 large egg white 192 0 0 48 0 660
    Bananas - Raw, 1 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long) 105 27 0 1 3 1
    Country Crock - Country Crock Light, 3 Tbsp (14 g) 150 0 15 0 0 270
    Aunt Jemima - Light Original Syrup, 1/4 Cup 100 26 0 0 1 190
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

GL

Awesome man!
    I was just saying most people would be in a surplus around 3,000 calories, but for me personally I spike between 5-6K calories.
    This an example of the metabolic benefit of spiking, I've lost over 100lbs and I have yet to adjust my calories based on BMR, even though I should be burning about 500 calories less per day with that weight loss.
  • Brittypop
    Options
    I'm not an expert or anything, but my doc once told me to take one meal a week and eat whatever I want don't log it or anything. I think in a way that keeps your body from getting used to a certain amount of calories it has to use up. I also have cheat days to keep my sanity, to have at one meal that you don't have to count or worry about how many calories is in each little piece. But to each his/her own, if you can cheat one day and get back to it, then I think cheat days are good.

Agreed!
  • Brittypop
    Options
    Spike Day's are nothing but a huge positive, BUT I do believe that everyone is different and it's your choice if you want to do it or not. Your not wrong if you don't, it just makes things a heck of a lot easier.

It's not so much your body adjusting to a calorie number ex 1,200. What happens is that whenever you have a calorie deficit, and the studies done are 7 days of calorie restriction, the hormone leptin drops. When leptin drops cravings go up, in fact there was a definite correlation between the amount of leptin that is reduced and the amount of hunger, and of course the metabolism starts to slow. Personally I believe it takes sometime, weeks or months before the metabolism decline is totally detrimental, there's no proof, but for me personally I could diet for 4-6 weeks before I would usually hit that plateau. I think the hunger and cravings that begin increasing at 7 days is the biggest problem. It makes it difficult to stay on a diet when your fighting your brain.

This is where "spiking" really helps, as it just takes 12 hours of eating a surplus to bring leptin levels back up.

I feel this change happen to me every week. I Spike on Friday's, by Thursday of every week I feel the cravings coming on strong. Then I Spike and I literally don't care what I eat the next few days. Then as the week goes on I feel them come back right before I Spike again.

Also, what's needed is a small surplus, nothing overly crazy. If you burned 2,500 calories a day, 2,501 would be enough, I just aim a bit higher to make sure I'm over so I use 2X(BMR) so at the most you would store 1,000 calories that is always distributed to your glycogen stores first, before any fat is actually stored.

Just remember, you definitely gain a few pounds after Spiking, it's simply because our body stores 3 grams of water with each gram of glycogen in your muscles. You burn that off in the next couple of days when you go back to calorie deficits.

I've been doing this 8+ years.

This was very helpful, thank you!
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    How about a cheat MEAL versus a cheat DAY?
  • herky
    herky Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My problem is the weekends. I eat well and exercise 5 days a week and then when the weekend rolls around, I feel like I completely destroy my hard work for the week. A cheat day definitely sounds like a better option than what I'm currently doing. If you deprive yourself of your favorite foods for too long, you will spiral out of control again.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't schedule cheat days. But let's face it, in life there are going to be occasions where it just isn't practical or fun to not eat more than you would on an average day. On those occasions I try to still get in a workout if I can, then I just eat, drink and be merry. And I make sure those occasions don't happen often enough to make me gain.
  • maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    I don't do cheat days, but if I want pizza- I just count the calories and fit it in! I don't keep that low of a calorie count though- if I did, I'm sure I'd be wanting a cheat day, and that could be a slippery slope for me.

I do have a friend who lost 100 lbs, and she would eat about 1200/day and have a Saturday cheat day- it worked for her! Try it and see if it keeps you on plan the rest of the week.

Even weight watchers has a built in "cheat"- they give you daily points and weekly points on top of that, that you can use for dessert every day OR a yummy meal out. I think I like the idea of a cheat meal, rather than a cheat day.
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    If i want something I eat it. Then I adjust my intake for the rest of the day to hit my macros.
  • swimcoach07
    swimcoach07 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert or anything, but my doc once told me to take one meal a week and eat whatever I want don't log it or anything. I think in a way that keeps your body from getting used to a certain amount of calories it has to use up. I also have cheat days to keep my sanity, to have at one meal that you don't have to count or worry about how many calories is in each little piece. But to each his/her own, if you can cheat one day and get back to it, then I think cheat days are good.

This!
    An entire day is probably too much. But I have also been told one meal a week should not be logged but rather simply enjoyed!
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'd say it depends on what you call cheating -is it an all day thing or is it treating yourself to an extra big portion or dessert or something like that? I try to stick to my calories +/- 100 but there are days when I just say I really want that extra glass of wine or I really want a bowl of ice cream, or a plate of nachos and I go for it. For me this is for the long haul - not a diet to stop when I hit my goal weight - so I try to eat realistically for my whole life.

Play around, see what works for you and good luck!!!
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    If I cheat, I try to limit it to one meal as opposed to one day. Seems to work for me.

I like chief's idea, one meal would help confuse the calorie burning computer in your body. Doesn't take a whole days worth of calories.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Lots of helpful advice here but I thought I'd throw my two (terribly uninformed, lol) cents in. I do have a cheat day but it's not once a week, it's on a different schedule, because every two or three weeks I go out and do this one thing that's really strenuous and long, and when that comes up, it's my free day. I eat whatever (and it's bad, lol). Up until then, I'm good and I save everything for that day, and the thing is that since I'm actually doing quite a bit of work, it's probably not that horrible, though I'm certainly going over. I deliberately don't log those days, in terms of either estimating how many calories I'm burning or logging what I'm eating. So I guess to generalize what I'd say is that you can take a day every couple of weeks and do something completely different, then not log your calories or exertion and have a free day. I'm not sure that it helps my weight loss but it helps keep me on track.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Cheat days are a slippery slope for me. I find I do better when I just keep everything in moderation, not denying myself the foods I love love love. I track everything honestly and that keeps me accountable. For me, a cheat day feels like an excuse to binge and that's too counterproductive in my opinion. Good Luck!!!

I agree with this completely....
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I use them, love them and have reached my weight loss goals.
    The hard part at first was turning it off.

In other words, I wanted my "free day" to become a free month. Now? No problem.
  • JamieAmandaC
    Options
    When I could routinely see a dietician and attend the weight loss group weekly, she used to tell everyone frequently that one meal a week we should just forget the rules and eat whatever and however much we wanted because it helped us stay on track. If we stay too rigid and don't allow ourselves a little splurge now and then it just builds up and turns into the potential to really derail. She would say not a whole day, but just one meal a week.
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't have an opinion on what other people do and will only speak for myself.

With that said, I don't want to do a cheat day. I've been doing good for the past 2 weeks. I don't want to give myself any reason to fall off the wagon so to speak.

If I want something that's not really the greatest for me, then I might as well work out a bit more that day to leave room for it. Typically I don't eat back my workout calories but for me, that seems like the only logical way to do it.

I'm afraid if I give myself a taste of that yummy candy or cake or whatever, then I could easily fall back into old habits.

My anniversary is this weekend and we're going to a nice restaurant for an early dinner. Desserts are my FAVE and I'm sure anything on the menu for dessert will be totally evil. So, I'll maybe walk 4 miles that day instead of 2 miles. Give myself some extra room to eat that dessert.

Otherwise, no. I don't want to cheat and ruin my progress. I'm doing well and I want to keep it that way!
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    As long as you don't over do it. Some of my cheat days have been epic, I mean like 7000+ cals. Then I would lay in the bed with an upset stomach lol, wake up the next day feeling guilty...... you get the picture.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I would think as long as you don't go crazy and eat a large pizza and a dozen donuts you should be fine. My son wanted ice cream one night and I new if it was in the house I would eat the whole container so I took him to the local shop and I got an ice cream. I just ordered a small and went for sugar free. I went over on calories but it didn't kill me and I didn't gain because of it.