White Rice

Options
How many servings does 1 cup of uncooked white rice typically make? How do you guys measure your intake when it comes to rice? Trying to plan my dinner. :P Thanks!

Replies

• crewsicka
    crewsicka Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    1 cup dry will make 3 cups cooked I think. I only eat brown rice.... but that's cuz I'm cutting right now. I eat a cup cooked with my meals.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    1 cup dry will make 3 cups cooked I think. I only eat brown rice.... but that's cuz I'm cutting right now. I eat a cup cooked with my meals.

That makes no sense, why would the color of rice make a difference if you were cutting or bulking or maintaining?
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    jasmine rice = the ****tttt.

miss it so much
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    How many servings does 1 cup of uncooked white rice typically make? How do you guys measure your intake when it comes to rice? Trying to plan my dinner. :P Thanks!

I think, but I'm not 100% sure, that it doubles. So 1 cup uncooked = 2 cups cooked.
  • panduhburr
    panduhburr Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yeah...none of those answer my question..
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    my rice says a serving size is 1/4 cup dry...so 1 cup cooked makes 4 servings. I did this the other day and I have a food scale that I weighed it on and then split into 4 equal servings. If you don't have a scale you can always try eyeballing it or use half cup to start splitting into 4. Rice and noodles are confusing. My mom always said generally it doubles in size so 1/4 cup dry would equal 1/2 cup cooked...but I don't know.
  • skinnyrn2
    Options
    Brown rice is so much more filling than white rice is and lasts in your system a lot longer, so you don't have to eat as much as you would if you ate white rice. This results in more wheat loss and increases the fiber in your system. helps any diet.
  • karleen
    Options
    how do you measure intake? i bet if you put in '1 cup cooked rice' or cooked rice itll show up. or dry.. like on packages it sometimes tells you the calories for prepared and not prepared...
  • panduhburr
    panduhburr Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    "Brown rice is so much more filling than white rice is and lasts in your system a lot longer, so you don't have to eat as much as you would if you ate white rice. This results in more wheat loss and increases the fiber in your system. helps any diet."

I know that but it's a family dinner and that's what is being cooked.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    either weigh it out or guess, a few calories off isn't going to derail your diet
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    This is my method... it's really difficult.

I place my hand in the silverware drawer and pull out a measuring cup. Avant garde, I know. Am I insane? Probably.

But seriously, weighing would be most accurate, but in a pinch (or when I forget) I just use a measuring cup.
  • msjamartin
    Options
    most packages of rice will tell you how much cooked the uncooked measurement will make. I believe these is some variable depending on the type of rice as well. 1 cup dry will generally product 2 cups cooked. 1/2 a cup cooked is considered a serving by the USDA food pyamid people.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    How many servings does 1 cup of uncooked white rice typically make?

4 cooked (if your concept of portion control is reasonable)
    How do you guys measure your intake when it comes to rice? Trying to plan my dinner. :P Thanks!

Normally I eyeball as I have been doing this for so long I can roughly tell how many calories I am eating. Many moons ago I used to weigh it when cooked using a food scale which gave me a good idea of what an actual serving looks like.
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I cheat and buy the boil in the bag rice so that it's already portioned out and I don't have to worry about it - plus it means I don't end up cooking too much with loads of leftovers :smile:
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options

miss it so much

OMG... love love love jasmine rice... but it's like 300 cals/cup of cooked.

It can depend on how much water you use? I try to base it on how much dry rice I used. Usually it will say it on the package.
  • msjamartin
    Options
    I have happily discovered the single serve of Uncle Ben's Brown Rice (and other varieties). I know it cost a bit more than just buying a bag but these are great for lunches. 1/2 cup portion ready to heat and eat. I'll spend a little more to have the rice easy for lunches.

Of course this is no help when it is a family dinner.

Oh and if you like Jasmine - I believe Uncle Ben's does a single serve for that variety as well. Might not be as good as making yourself from dry in taste, but it would be portion controlled and you could treat youself once in a while.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    rice is something that you can save.... cook it and save the remaining... I myself only have 1/2 cu as a serving but not sure if that is one serving or not.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    One could always measure it after you cook it.
  • karleen
    Options

miss it so much

OMG... love love love jasmine rice... but it's like 300 cals/cup of cooked.

It can depend on how much water you use? I try to base it on how much dry rice I used. Usually it will say it on the package.

so yummy though!! and yea its high in calories.. im transitioning to a raw vegan diet but i may once in a blue moon still treat myself to some rice.. once or twice a month a cooked vegan meal wont kill my efforts. vegan sushi will probably be one of the few things i can get at a restaraunt unless i pick a straight up vegan place
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You always measure the cooked when it comes to grains. For pasta, I measure 2 oz and then STILL measure 1 cup after it's cooked. For rice, I just throw however much I want into the cooker and measure out 1 cup for my serving.