Womenly Chat

Options
NeverGivesUp
NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
Ok ladies, I just got my IUD (meridian) in November (3 children is enough). I have pretty much had a nonstop period ever since. It is such a pain because it messes with my hunger. My doctor said it will take up to 4 months for my body to settle down. Anyone else have any experience with this? I hate being a woman sometimes.

Replies

• juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Mirena IUD? If not, is the one you have copper or hormonal? Both can cause hormonal imbalances, longer periods, etc... soon after placed. Mirena/hormonal IUDs typically taper down after a while to no periods. Ive had mine for 3 years and LOVE it. No more periods and no psycho PMS. haha If I remember right - the adjustment 'period' was about 6 weeks. you should be getting there.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    The hysterectomy was the best thing I've ever done.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    If you are done for sure, have you considered a tubal ligation?
    I got it done after the birth of my last child 7 years ago. I LOVE it!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have any experience with this?
    Would it help?
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Have you considered tubal ligation? Totally hormone-free, outpatient, and permanent.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies, I just got my IUD (meridian) in November (3 children is enough). I have pretty much had a nonstop period ever since. It is such a pain because it messes with my hunger. My doctor said it will take up to 4 months for my body to settle down. Anyone else have any experience with this? I hate being a woman sometimes.
    I would think that it will take up to 4 months for your body to settle down. :drinker:
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I would think that it will take up to 4 months for your body to settle down. :drinker:

The doctor is a man so he wouldn't understand. Only women here would understand and be able to direct her appropriately!!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

The doctor is a man so he wouldn't understand. Only women here would understand and be able to direct her appropriately!!
    3a6b0363-2296-4d58-943b-591a9eff46ad.jpg
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

I did, i let it go on for 3 months, it wasnt a heavy period so much as it was just lingering. I went and got it taken out. I couldnt deal with it anymore (not to mention my husband! lol)
    I have since been put on Loestrin 24 and I only get my period once or maybe twice a year.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It can actually take up to six months, which it did for me.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    wow thanks everyone, yes it is mirena sorry I got the name wrong. 6 months yuck. My hubby has had enough of the bleeding too. If I went in for surgery would getting my tubes tied stop my period? I am definitely done but I could never get an abortion if I got pregnant on accident. I would love it if my husband could get the surgery so I don't have any fear of getting pregnant but he is too lazy even to go in and get a checkup. I am hoping this IUD gets rid of my period all together, but this endless period is getting really old. I had the copper one in for 4 years and just got it replaced with the hormonal one. It was scary because my doctor said the last one was falling out and I was unprotected for who knows how long. I never had this many issues with the copper one besides the almost falling out at the end. I have been feeling so yucky and bloated and it makes losing weight harder. My doctor says it doesn't affect my normal cycle, but maybe I just need to be a bit more patient. Thanks for the words of wisdom. I bet all our bodies react to it in a slightly different way.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Getting your tubes tied won't stop periods. It can make them lighter, but it can also make them much heavier. You're taking your chances with that. I also know women who never had cramps before a tubal and now have horrible cramps. Again, not everyone, but you're taking your chances.

The Mirena issue will slow down and stop soon. I did bleed for six months (though the last couple were mostly light spotting), but now I barely have a period at all.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    thanks, I am going to try and make my husband go in to take care of this but I do loooove the idea of not having periods. Maybe I can do this through menopause and then get it taken out permanently, no periods ever again sounds like heaven :). I have heard only 25% of people lose their periods but everyone I know on the mirena has lost their periods all together. I am hoping to be one of those.
  • JustLena75
    Options
    If you are guys are *done*....get the double whammy like I did...a tubal ligation w/ablation. I haven't had a cycle since August, surgery done Sept 2. Have them document all the bleeding, will help with getting insurance to pay for the ablation.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    what exactly is that Lena? Sounds scary but ahhhh to never have a period again would be heaven. I am jealous.