PEANUT BUTTER ALTERNATIVE?

Options
I fell off the wagon for a few weeks and have gotten back to business in the last few days. I am still fighting wanting bad for me food again. I am having the worst time with a serious craving for peanut butter. I just can not justify 200 calories for a serving that is only 2 tablespoons. That is 1/6 of my daily calories! Sooooo. I was wondering if anyone had an idea for an alternative to peanut butter that would be lower in calories.

Replies

• poppadop89
    Options
    http://www.bellplantation.com/
    ^^^PB2: all natural powdered peanut butter. I bought the one with cocoa. Great Stuff. The things you can add this into are endless!!

*PB2 with cocoa

Calories: 45
    Calories from fat: 10
    Total fat: 1g 1%
    Saturated fat: 0 g 0%
    Trans fat: <0.01g
    Cholesterol: <0.01mg 0%
    Sodium: 70mg 3%
    Total carbohydrates: 6 g 2%
    Dietary fiber: 1g 8%
    Sugars: 3 g
    Protein: 4 g
    Vitamin A: <1%
    Vitamin C: 0%
    Calcium: <1%
    Iron: 2%
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Better N'Peanut Butter. From Trader Joe's. Half the calories, a zillion times more delicious than regular....dreamy :)
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Save - peanut butter is the best!! I could eat a whole jar.
  • meredithashton
    meredithashton Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump so I can read later =) Thanks guys!
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I really like the Better N' Peanut Butter also. I really love it mixed in with my plain Greek yogurt with a little Splenda. Tastes like a dessert! My Mom picked up the PB2 for me today, so I'm going to give that a shot too.
  • caitles14
    Options
    Save - peanut butter is the best!! I could eat a whole jar.

AGREED!!! if you want a healthier alternative (still the same calories though) you could try natural if you haven't already. i love smucker's natural creamy!
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I too enjoy the better n peanut butter.
    I have also tried PB2. Nothing like peanut butter. Its ok to mix with water and make a peanut sauce, or to add to recipes, but in no way, shape, or form is it anything like regular peanut butter.

That being said, the only thing as good as regular peanut butter (that I have found as a die-hard peanut butter addict) is, well, peanut butter....sorry to say.....

but like I said the better n peanut butter is not a bad alternative!!! I buy it at trader joes, but they also sell it at Shaws if you have that market near you, and I am guessing whole foods carries it as well.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    There is no alternative.
    Real PB FTW.
    All Natural, ingredients: PEANUTS
    The oily kind you have to stir.

now I want some damn it...
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Nutella. Not lower in calories, but the calories are soooo worth it.
  • crewsicka
    crewsicka Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Chew up some peanuts.... spit in jar... there you go.
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    there is no alternative to peanut butter that could possibly measure up.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Eat by filling celery stalks. 2TBS Lasts much longer!
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Think think chunky peanut butter bars have 240 cal, but are 60g and packed with protein, and fill you up a reasonable amount. The creamy peanut butter bars are 220 cal but I haven't tried them cause I can't find em local.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I eat peanut butter all the time! I just do 1/2 a serving though. I think 1 tbsp is plenty and it is then only 90-100 calories!
  • amberrrogers
    Options
    I guess the next time I am out by Whole Foods here, i will see if they have either pb2 or better'n peanut butter. I seriously wanted to shovels spoonfulls of it in my mouth when I made the kids pb&j sandwiches today. Hard to resist! Thanks for the info everyone
  • plt55
    plt55 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    PB2 here also my best friend lives where they make it so she brings me some or mails to me shes sending me chocolate as we speak my daughter adds a pack of splenda to her mixture makes it a little bit better she says.
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I eat Kroger's natural creamy peanut butter with veggies most of the time. For me, I use it to meet my calories goals. One serving or half a serving usually does the trick...Serving size is 2 tbsp at 190 calories. Sodium is 120 mg. Protein is 8grams. Carbs is 6grams. Fiber is 2grams. Sugars is 2grams...

It is made without hydrogenated oils, so you gotta stir it and leave it in the fridge. Also, the less ingredients listed on the jar of peanut butter the better.
  • la8dcruz
    la8dcruz Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi,

The more I researched, the more I discovered that peanuts are not all that great for us. :cry: (I was disappointed too).....
    The healthier choice would be almond butter. Almonds are actually healthier for us and help keep the body & face younger. The calorie count isn't much less but it is a healthier choice!
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i eat almond butter instead of peanut butter .,its not necessarily lower in calories but healthy for you. right now ive cut out all those things till march and it is not visible in my house because i put it away..im a peanut butter and almond butter fanatic. i am sticking more to whole grains,some pasta high in protein, meats and fresh fruits and vegatables for now
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I LOVE PEANUT BUTTER - and after trying PB2 I bought a case because it is the closest thing to real peanut butter that I could find. The closest Trader Joe's to me is about 40 miles south of here toward Baltimore... and I hardly go in that direction (work to the north).

That being said, it is Natural. It is very tasty. You can make it as thick or as thin as you like. You can add it to sauces and pancakes (as I did this morning) easily!

AND IT IS ONLY 45 calories per serving! It is damn expensive - but so is peanut butter... I've only been able to find it online, not in any stores so I buy it from Amazon because I have free shipping with my Prime membership!

Enjoy! Definitely try it yourself!