Just exercise, no diet?

Options
I'm currently at around 140-143 lbs with a height of about 5'6" I believe, maybe 5'6" & a half, I'm not entirely sure what my height is exactly. The last time I checked this was still in the 'normal' range for my height, on the higher end of the spectrum but still under normal.

I've been trying to eat healthy and within the range MFP gives me to lose 1/2 a pound per week, but I am having a really hard time. I love sweets so much. So I was just wondering what opinions people had about just exercising, maybe trying to eat healthier for the most part but not necessarily sticking to a calorie limit/eliminate candy and stuff?

My main issue is that I'm unhappy with the way my body looks. And I'm not sure if it is just because I'm not in shape so I'm not really toned, or if I really do need to stick to a more strict diet and calorie limit and lose the weight as well. So I guess my question is if you think it is possible to become happier with your physical appearance from just exercising and not a strict diet?

Replies

• peacek
    peacek Posts: 211
    Options
    Exersice: is the way to go if you want toned body
    Low cal diet: is the way to go if you want weight loss.

If u want both, exercise nad diet should go hand in hand.:glasses:
  • onehotgirl
    Options
    start lifting
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Ultimately it's about finding a lifestyle that works for you, so you can always give it a go and see if you get the level of success you'd like.

In my own experience, I feel like it's about 80% diet (not scientific lol). And this is coming from someone who crossfits 5 days a week and runs marathons. To steal the words of Steve, "I can't outrun my fork" (http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/07/15/you-cant-outrun-your-fork/ )

I'm not saying no one has ever seen success from only exercising! Just speaking from my experiences. I prefer to eat a clean diet (I'm no longer trying to lose weight, so I don't count calories and have been successful in maintaining) and I still exercise to get stronger, faster, and maintain lean muscle mass :)

Best of luck!
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Work on reforming your eating habits, but don't rush it. Don't make yourself feel too deprived, or you will give up.

Exercise will allow you to lose weight whilst eating more calories, but do not increase the level of exercise you are doing quickly, otherwise you risk injury. Listen to your body and train it as hard as it is happy with.
  • BananaBee3
    Options
    I am almost the same stats as you. I'm 5' 5" and I usually weigh anywhere between 140-146ish.

I also have a hard time with avoiding sweets and junk...but I do also workout 4-6 days a week.

BUT, I find I start seeing results if I eat healthier AND exercise (which does include lifting weights)

I have been exercising but not sticking to any calorie plan or healthy eating habits and have just maintained...no changes except losing some of my strength, which sucks.

IMO, you should do both: exercise and eat healthier.

You don't need to give up candy or sweets, but eat less of them and soon your body will crave the healthy foods over the processed sugary stuff.

Same thing with exercise, you don't need to jump into it hardcore. Find something you enjoy, start of slow, and make it a habit.

EDIT: I mean, I "used" to not stick with a calorie plan, etc...now I am and I feel SO much better
  • ebahde
    ebahde Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This was just my experience so it might be different for you, but I lost the weight MUCH faster doing both. I'm 5'4" and I started at 137 pounds (so probably pretty similar to you since I am a little shorter), in November 2010 I decided to just exercise and not try to change my diet at all. I was formerly a college athlete and had never needed to pay attention to my food intake because I was working hard enough to make up for it. So in November 2010 I started at 137 and was wanting to lose the weight for my wedding in June 2011. It took me until May to lose 10 pounds (goal weight of 127). Then after the wedding I was tired of working so hard and stopped working out as much, plus I started a new job and got busy, and was still not paying attention to my food. Then in October 2011 I realized I was right back to where I started last year at 137 pounds. It took me 6 months to lose it and 4 months to put it all back on. So on October 2, 2011 I started MFP (first time every paying attention to what I was putting in my body) and continued to keep up with my exercise. Today I reach my original goal weight of 125 pounds, this time around it only took be just over 3 months (half the amount of time as last year and I have lost even more). I have reassessed my goal weight and am going to try and lose another 3-5 pounds, but I thought it might be a good comparison. The biggest struggle with "just working out" is that most people consume more calories because they are burning more calories and so you can very easily stay at the same weight. Ultimately, its up to you and what you think will work best in your lifestyle. Good luck in your journey!!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    check out the Ornish diet, it is made for people like you, it groups food into groups, if you eat one type of food group that is grouped as bad, then eat another the next day that is healther. Remember, if you burn 100 calories exercising, it doesn't mean you get to eat back that 100 calories, because it may not be accurate. If I burn 500 at the gym, I will eat back at least half of that, most time with sweets, but I always do better on the scale if I eat back the cals with healthy food.

http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/ornish-diet
  • spragukr
    spragukr Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for advice. I will take it all into serious consideration. I think my problem is that I'm trying to completely eliminate sweets right off the bat and that is making it extremely difficult. I will try to make it a slower process. I know I need to make lifestyle changes, it just seems so hard! Also I am looking up that Ornish diet as we speak.

Again, thanks for all the advice =] It really helps to hear what other people have to say that have more personal experience.
  • nirodha90
    Options
    no diet...just exercise...eat three meals no snacks ...dont over think..you'll be fine!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    no diet...just exercise...eat three meals no snacks ...dont over think..you'll be fine!

You bumped a nearly 3-year-old post just for this insane mess?