soba noodle asian salad

Options
Soba noodles are low cal buckwheat noodles often used in Japaneses dishes. Any of the ingrediant below can be left out if desired.

Add 6 oz of dried soba noodles to boiling water (2-3 c) and let cook for 2 mins or so. Drain and rinse well under cold water.

In a large bowl and the following items:
Slice red or Napa cabbage (1/2 head)
2/3 c grated carrot
1/2 slice red onion
one entire sliced red pepper
one fresno chile or other spicy pepper
3-5 garlic cloves
1/2 bundle of mint
1/2 bundle of cilantro

Mix in noodles and add
lime juice (2-3 limes)
2 tsps sugar
1 tsp grated ginger root
1 tbs sesame oil
1 tbs fish suace
salt to taste

Mix all the ingredients together well and serve cold topped with grilled chicken or shrimp, by itself, or simply with fresh avocado and low fat feta cheese. Yields 10 cups of salad 110 cals per cup

Replies

• miasuperstar
    Options
    Soba noodles are low cal buckwheat noodles often used in Japaneses dishes. Any of the ingrediant below can be left out if desired.

Add 6 oz of dried soba noodles to boiling water (2-3 c) and let cook for 2 mins or so. Drain and rinse well under cold water.

In a large bowl and the following items:
    Slice red or Napa cabbage (1/2 head)
    2/3 c grated carrot
    1/2 slice red onion
    one entire sliced red pepper
    one fresno chile or other spicy pepper
    3-5 garlic cloves
    1/2 bundle of mint
    1/2 bundle of cilantro

Mix in noodles and add
    lime juice (2-3 limes)
    2 tsps sugar
    1 tsp grated ginger root
    1 tbs sesame oil
    1 tbs fish suace
    salt to taste

Mix all the ingredients together well and serve cold topped with grilled chicken or shrimp, by itself, or simply with fresh avocado and low fat feta cheese. Yields 10 cups of salad 110 cals per cup
  • sweetapplepi
    Options
    I found some soba noodles here, but they were really high in calories. I thought someone had said they were safe to eat on a diet? I think the calorie content was high.
  • miasuperstar
    Options
    well i have that they're 200 cal per 2 ounce of dry noodles- I don't know what that comes out to but I'm pretty sure its less cal than rice and other pastas. All carbs seem to be somewhat high in cals i just thought these were a little lower relative to everything else.
  • lisat76
    lisat76 Posts: 11
    Options
    i find that amoy straight to wok UDON noodles are better for lower calories..
    it works out at 134 cals per 10.0g.. the fat is only 1.6g. but carbs are 27.3g