Why you should eat your exercise calories

Options
I posted this a while ago, but I have been seeing more and more new members asking whether or not they should be eating them back.

Short answer: YES!

Here is why: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

MFP has already created a deficit for you. When you don't eat your exercise calories back you are creating an even larger deficit which can cause you to stop losing. I strongly suggest you to read the link I provided for details!

Replies

• Duelltolose
    Duelltolose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Maybe that's my problem.. Not losing anything anymore..
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Woo! Yay Sunshine!
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I love exercising to give me those extra calories. I try not to eat them all though.... I figure there may be a day (like last Sunday) that I go way over and need that extra cushion for the week.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I sometimes leave a little cushion too. But this is more consistently. If you stall later I would suggest trying to eat them all back :]

@Duelltolose I would try to eat them back and see if it helps! It did for me :]
  • Jarnard
    Jarnard Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I work out and burn a lot in the gym and i'm still trying to figure out how I can eat more good stuff through out the day. It is nice having a few extra calories left over after you've eaten some of your exercise calories back.
  • Myrtlemama4
    Myrtlemama4 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think that has been my problem. Only lost 5lbs since Nov 30th and I work out 5-6x a week. I am trying that now..
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I've already done today's workout but MIGHT be hitting the treadmill to eat cake. LMFAO at my love of exercise calories!!
  • sherimoss
    Options
    is this true? does it really work? I'm new to all of this and really just want to lose about 10lbs.
  • Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am short and relatively small and I don't have a ton of weight to lose. I've lost 10 pounds so far (in 4 months) and have about 8 to go. I eat back all of my exercise calories. I've tried this before and I didn't eat the exercise calories back then. The weight came off faster, but I wasn't able to keep up with it. I gained back what I lost pretty quickly. I love eating back my exercise calories! It keeps me motivated.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I posted this a while ago, but I have been seeing more and more new members asking whether or not they should be eating them back.

Short answer: YES!

Here is why: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

MFP has already created a deficit for you. When you don't eat your exercise calories back you are creating an even larger deficit which can cause you to stop losing. I strongly suggest you to read the link I provided for details!

^^ Great article!
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I agree. However, the only time I literally CAN'T eat them back is when I go hiking--I usually burn 750-1000 calories per hike, so it's almost impossible for me to eat it back without feeling disgusting! lol
  • 5mule
    5mule Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just be sure you don't overestimate the number of calories you burn while exercising. Calorie calculators, including the calorie numbers for exercises listed in MFP, are notoriously inaccurate. Don't go snarfing down a 600 calorie bonus meal after walking around the neighborhood. You'll DEFINITELY stop losing weight that way!
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I say "eat the exercise calories". Being able to eat more is motivation to exercise in itself!
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Its a good article but there's also a lot of self admitted speculation in the article. Like anything else..it works for some and not for others and no one size fits all.
  • dilligaf274
    Options
    I agree. My swim workouts burn over 1200 calories. That would mean eating double that day. I can't find that much food to eat, unless I chose something bad for me, but I don't want to go that route.
  • MlissaB
    MlissaB Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There's nothing better than planning a nice dinner out in advance. That way I get up extra early and spend a little extra time on the tread-mill and kick up the incline so I can have the butter on my baked potato or maybe an extra glass of wine. I actually think I do better those weeks because I'm more motivated to exercise.

I reached my first goal wait and took the holidays off of tracking (still watched what I ate and maintained for the month), but now that I'm back at it with the second half of my goal, I'm having a hard time losing anything. Any thoughts?
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    And let me clarify..I own Lyles "The Guide to Flexible Dieting" book. I like how moderate he is in his approach to nutrition etc. I also know that he is the first person who will say that different things work for different people. My experience has been that experimentation is key and MFP provides all the tools necessary to do that.

I just don't want any purists jumping down my throat :wink:
  • psychomomxs4
    psychomomxs4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for that information.
  • bowmab21
    bowmab21 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm still researching on this one too. If that is the case, why workout, and just not diet. If anyone with letters behind their name would like to comment, I would like to read it. Some credentials would be nice.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    A;ll I know is when I lost all my weight before I stayed at 1500 cals and I work out like crazy all day, I lost all of it fast, would kept it off to if I hadn't faced hardships and gone back to food for comfort