How often do you cheat?

Options
2»

Replies

• Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Well, my question to you is: what is cheating?
    If it means eating something you shouldn't - then I would have to say I cheat daily.
    If it means eating something you don't log - then I would have to say I cheat almost daily.
    If it means going over on your calories - then I would have to say occasionally.

However, I don't consider any of this cheating. I am not on a diet. Diets are temporary. MFP is a tool to help me stay on track. I am not going to deny myself the things I love, I will portion it, eat it, enjoy it, log it and forget it. Make it fit. Portion control. Work it off. And do it everyday! Occasionally I will eat something that I don't log on MFP, but it's never anything over 100 calories, and if it doesn't change the outcome of putting me over my calories. On days that I do go over, it's not by much unless there's something going on like Christmas or Thanksgiving. Buy I have found that most of the time, restaurants, potlucks and parties don't hurt me much because I make wise choices and small portions.

HOWEVER, there is an exception - if there is a giant chocolate cake lingering around for days, then I would be in trouble! I have to force myself to stay away from things like that because I can't portion myself sensibly with that It's my drug! I'm fine with eating a piece at the party - but after that it has to go away!!!!! I can live with eating a piece then give the rest away!

I gotta be able to live with it or I will give up! :drinker:
  • kristidem
    kristidem Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    When I am presented with a treat/snack or a great meal, I'll eat and do not feel guilty. I guess it's probably once a week, one meal or one snack. I have found over the past few years if I completely reject what I crave or really really like (alfredo for example), I end up almost binging on other things to try to make up for what I really want. So now, I just have some. For meals, I may stop myself at half these days instead of chowing the entire plate. Also, it's a mental game. Gotta have it. :)
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Almost never.

However, I build planned relatively healthy treats into my eating plan. Planning them helps me keep them moderated and under control and helps me avoid feeling deprived and strongly tempted to "cheat".

At least for me, deprivation doesn't work. Cheating doesn't work. Planned treats taken into account in my overall eating plan on a regular basis...they work.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Off and on I allow myself a meal where I don't worry about the calories. That said, if I know there is a day coming up where we'll be doing a lot of things and I'll be eating out, I go for a longer run or hit the Arc trainer for a couple of hours. I am a firm believer that you can eat your favorite foods and still either lose weight or maintain your weight loss. I pass up on the donuts and crap that floats around at work so I can live a little more on the weekends when we are out and about :)
  • Livetc
    Livetc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't. I have missed goal twice ever, and in both instances it was because I couldn't get home prior to midnight to run off the excess on the treadmill. If I eat over my target, that treadmill will be on until I am under. When you start "cheating" you only cheat your waistline.
  • Brittypop
    Options
    Love it!
    I don't believe in cheat days at all. It is simply life. Everything can fit in your day, even cupcakes. I do not look at any food as off limits and find it unrealistic to try an live with these type of rules. Once I hit my goal the only thing about my food that will change is the calorie amount. I still eat cake on birthdays. I eat pie at holidays. I have popcorn at movies. I even go to Coldstone if I'm in the mood. I have pasta. I have potatoes. I have red meat. I eat everything I like, I just keep the portion in control and within my calorie range for the day.

I know this doesn't work for everyone but I really feel that if this is a true lifestyle change for life that you can't restrict and elminate the foods you love. Rather you have to learn to incorporate them in a healthy way to your life everyday.

This is my opinion.
  • Brittypop
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input!

Personally, I think the best method for me will be incorporating treats into my caloric intake and just monitoring the portion.
  • Christinemary6
    Christinemary6 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat. At least, not now!

All cheating does is prevent you from totally embracing your new eating habits...you are instead reinforcing the notion that the "wrong" foods, the "cheating" foods, are actually the "right" food.

And all you are doing is telling yourself that actually, you are "not worth it"

I decided I am worth it.

Cheating is, for me, so over.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I don't "cheat". Sometimes I eat more than others. But if my goal is to eat at a deficit, then that's what I intend to do. I eat at maintenance for 1 week every 3 months, to give myself a break from reduced calories.

But I never "cheat".
  • Blodnie
    Blodnie Posts: 66
    Options
    Definitely one meal once a week for me. We usually like to go out for dinner Friday night after the long work week, and that's my treat. It helps keep me honest the rest of the time. I can resist temptation if I know there's a little something good coming in the not so distant future.
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I almost never go over my net calorie goal. If that's what you mean by cheating. But if you mean eating "bad" foods, then I do it as long as it fits into my calories, and loosely into my macros.

If I deprived myself of "bad" foods I would just end up binge-ing.