Shoe Help

Options
I'm shoe shopping, and need some opinions.

I'm currently wearing Saucony ProGrid Guide 3 shoes, and they are waaay worn out!

I'm looking into replacing them, but I'm not sure if I should get the exact same shoe, or if I should just get the ProGrid Guide 4.

What are the typical variations from shoe to shoe? I have no time to get somewhere to test out the shoe first, so do I go with what I know works? Or, do I buy the snazzy orange new ones?

Replies

• jdjefferson
    Options
    I wear this exact shoe (although in a men's size). I started with the Guide (1) and have worked my way through 2, 3, and now 4. I hated the Guide 3 and stopped wearing it after about one month. The Guide 4 is closer to the originals, IMO.
    The difference, I found, was in the amount of padding behind the heel (3 had more), which I did not like. And the tread pattern was slightly different, which gave the shoe a different feel when my foot struck the ground. Maybe I was delusional? I tested more than one Guide 3 and the results were similar. If you can comparison test the shoes I would.
    So to sum up, shoes do change from model year. If you like the Guide3, buy them again (while they're still available)
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Never take shoe advice from others. Our feet are WAY too different as are our strides, etc. SInce you have a well worn pair of shoes, turn them over and look at the soles. Where are they worn most? This will tell you a great deal about what type of shoe you need. Here's a good article that explains: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-327-7727-0,00.html
  • jdjefferson
    Options
    Never take shoe advice from others. Our feet are WAY too different as are our strides, etc. SInce you have a well worn pair of shoes, turn them over and look at the soles. Where are they worn most? This will tell you a great deal about what type of shoe you need. Here's a good article that explains: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-327-7727-0,00.html

She asked if there are variations between model years of shoes. I suggest that there is.
    BT, your advice was spot on! (I hope you weren't trying to be critical of my reply--I'm just trying to help)
  • MamaLeague
    MamaLeague Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I'll look into the article when I have a moment.

I was fitted last year for the Guide 3 at a running shop here in town. They put me in that due to how I pronate (I walk on the outsides of my feet...hyper or hypo?). I just noticed that when I began my running program again recently (after much time off) that my legs hurt, like when I was transitioning to wearing proper shoes.

I just wish the Guide 3 came in the fun colors ;) I agree, if it ain't broke...don't fix it, I guess!