1340 calories

Options
Im male 5'8" 213 lbs. I just recalculated my goals and MFP set me to 1340/day to lose 2 lbs a week. This cant be right especially since a few months ago I was at 200 lbs and my caloric goal was 1460 I think. What gives!?!?

Replies

• Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    1340 would be insane.

I think you should recalculate for 1 or 1.5 lb loss per week.

:smile:
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    No. And you dont need to adjust what you have for MFP.
    Taking a quick look at your diary...and only for a week here is what I see:

Your caloric intake is always under, and in some cases WAY under the averaged goal. 680 calories in one day? You are starving your body like this. Also, you are killing yourself with all of the sodium and sugar being WELL over. If you diary is honest to the T, then I suggest you rethink your overall intakes as a whole. Too much protein does not add weight. That being said, too much in an unbalanced diet will overwork your kidneys.

May I suggest the following to target: Calories, Fat, Protein, SUGAR, and your Sodium. You have some healthy choices, but some that are wrecking your efforts.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Im male 5'8" 213 lbs. I just recalculated my goals and MFP set me to 1340/day to lose 2 lbs a week. This cant be right especially since a few months ago I was at 200 lbs and my caloric goal was 1460 I think. What gives!?!?
    Maybe you should consider another approach.

The 2 lb per week plan is very hard
    The MFP recommendation is 1 lb per week, because it's less restrictive and easier to work to completion.

I wish you well no matter what.

All Is Possible!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You probably don't need to be losing that much every week, anyway. If you're just under 200, you're not too far from your goal weight. I would go for 1 lb per week. The minimum for a man per day is 1500 but I think it should be more like 2000. If you're working out, you should be eating those calories back as well... if you're not working out, why aren't you?
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 5'5" and 150 and it seems my maintenance is about 1540. The question is whether you are losing at an alarming rate at that intake. Basically its looking for a deficit from you maintenance
    Would you maintain or gain at 1,000 more? If it seems low to you, and you can't or don't want to live with, go for a slower goal.
  • weagle81
    weagle81 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    congrats on your 83lb loss!!! Thats terrific!
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You might consider having your BMR/RMR tested. Then you'll know precisely what your body needs at rest and can accurately set your goal calories from there.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Yeah just don't aim for a 2lb per week loss rate.

I'm keen to get my BMR tested so I know I'm not underfeeding.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Still on my phone so I can't respond in great detail because it's difficult. Well that one day where the sodium was way over that was an inaccurate count on one item in my diary. I am realativly close to sodium goals all the time sugar I always go over on but lots of times I'll go over on sugar because of fruit. Which isn't an issue. Recently the holiday candy and ceap is still hanging around the house. The bigger issue is exactly that I don't always eat my calories back. I know I should but I also tend to gain weight when I do. I was as low as 197 this summer lost 98 lbs. the holidays and being lazy took that from me. I have been eating more then I used too. I'm not killing my self but I'm probably not helping myself. Just scared I'm going to put the weight back on. Still though how can I be set to 1340. I'm 35lbs from goal
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    So despite eating under my MFP Caloric goal yesterday by 600+ calories you will note I still at 2000 total calories. Even though I was called out for not eating my calories the issue still remains If choose not to exercise. Im only allowed 1340 calories?? And FYI I do exercise for the person in here who asked, if I was and if I wasn't why not.

MY diary is open your welcome to look through it. Is my diary perfect? Absolutely not. The issue here is not weather Im eating how you want me to eat but more importantly Why is MFP telling me to eat less then 1500 calories as a 213 lb Male.

Im not required to exercise to lose weight. In fact Cardio does very little to help with weight loss in comparison to diet. When it comes right down to it. IF you want to lose weight its not so much about exercise as it is about proper diet. Cardio is for your health inside. Diet is for your health outside.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    So despite eating under my MFP Caloric goal yesterday by 600+ calories you will note I still at 2000 total calories. Even though I was called out for not eating my calories the issue still remains If choose not to exercise. Im only allowed 1340 calories?? And FYI I do exercise for the person in here who asked, if I was and if I wasn't why not.

MY diary is open your welcome to look through it. Is my diary perfect? Absolutely not. The issue here is not weather Im eating how you want me to eat but more importantly Why is MFP telling me to eat less then 1500 calories as a 213 lb Male.

Im not required to exercise to lose weight. In fact Cardio does very little to help with weight loss in comparison to diet. When it comes right down to it. IF you want to lose weight its not so much about exercise as it is about proper diet. Cardio is for your health inside. Diet is for your health outside.

Um, there's no such thing as inside health and outside health. You are one being. The body functions best when all parts are working in harmony. You're not *required* to do anything, but if you want help, and optimal results, you should take a more holistic approach and work on diet and exercise together.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

Um, there's no such thing as inside health and outside health. You are one being. The body functions best when all parts are working in harmony. You're not *required* to do anything, but if you want help, and optimal results, you should take a more holistic approach and work on diet and exercise together.

I think you misunderstand. dieting wont help me build a better cardio system. My lung capacity and ability to use oxygen more efficiently wont improve by me eating chicken breast and veggies. Likewise my fat wont disappear If I ride my bike everyday but dont eat right. And your still missing the point about the low caloric goal.

If my goal is to lose weight it is not necessary for me to do cardio. I'm not condoning this as I think you should exercise even more then what is suggested. I'm only saying. If I choose not to I'm only going to get to eat 1340 /day thanks to MFP