Any Recovered Binge Eaters? Recovering Binge Eaters?

Options

Replies

• becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I am just practicing putting my ticker on signatures. Do I have to copy and paste the code each time?

13409719.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

No, just go to message board, then settings and it will give you the option ot put it on.

Mary Ann
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/iddreams/view/overcoming-the-obesity-mindset-194711
  • happydaywitty
    happydaywitty Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I like reading the blog runsforcookies.com. She is recovering binge eater who has lost over a 100+ pounds. Very cool.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Hey all You all can add me as a friend if you'd like. Binge eating has been an issue for me for years but has gotten better recently. If you send a friend request just say it's from this thread please. I think we should start a group here for binge eaters so we can post there when we feel the binge starting or step away from the binge. I really recommend Overcoming Binge Eating it is full of ideas and lots of research that can help you identify your triggers. It helps to be aware of the binge and your triggers.
  • PuffinPie
    Options
    Me too.
    Today was my first binge in 12 weeks due to a big stresser.
    Just a horrible thing to go through , i hope you can overcome your troubles.
  • happydaze82
    happydaze82 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Angellore - the behavior you described when you decided to eat fish and chips later sounds EXACTLY like me. I am not sure why I can't have a treat once in a while without sabotaging the entire day eating whatever is in sight. I have been struggling to get in control of my binge eating for quite some time. I have been doing well the past few weeks, taking things a day at a time. I think the key for me is really planning out a menu for the entire week, writing it down, and sticking to it. The hardest time for me is the weekends when I am home, because I sit around and eat mindlessly. It helps if I already know what I am going to eat, when, etc. Sometimes it isn't enough, and the food psychosis takes over and I feel completely unable to stop. It's really an addiction, and people who don't experience it really can't relate at all.

I appreciate everyone being open here about this problem. It helps to know that we are not alone in this!
  • vamback
    vamback Posts: 24
    Options
    I am also a binge eater. What is helping me over come this, is digging deep and finding the reason why I turn to food for comfort. Depression with my home life has played a major part in my binges and weight gain. 2 weeks ago today I removed myself from the situation by moving out and decided that I wasn't going to let anyone interfere with me gaining happiness again. I know everyone has different reasons for binging, I just wanted to share my experience with you. If you would like to add me as a friend, I am here for support! It's always easier to have someone following along with you. :)
  • MartiJJohnston
    Options
    BUMP to finish reading everyone's posts later... I actually found this thread right at a time I'm wanting to binge... :noway:
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I am a compulsive over eater who used to binge eat on a daily basis, 2 big bags of chips, icecream sandwichs and m&M's where nothing in one night. Other nights it was Chinese for 4 or a whole large pizza.
    I have been abstinent from my binge foods for alittle over 2 years now. I go to meetings on a weekly basis and work a 12 step program for my food addiction. I also use MFP and a gastric band. I got all the tools I can think so I don't go into relapse. It was 20 years of hell..and I don't want to go back.
  • lilyflor
    lilyflor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Not an actual case of diagnose eating disorder, more like an emotional binge eater! I used to eat anything that was available on my fridge to eat, I have been recovering, I been doing good for about a week, it's hard to hold back but my friend doctor said is worse to hold back that it causes to slow down the metabolism. I mean I actually feel hungry! So I been making me a green tea when it happens and it seems to be ok, my friend doctor says the stomach will get use to not getting so much food, to give it two weeks and that my cravings will stop. So hopefully!! good luck!
  • apesid
    apesid Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of learning how to control my binges. It's HARD but I have to take it one day at a time - and not think about the big picture. I had a badbadbad day yesterday - but today is a new day and I'm controlling it.
  • apesid
    apesid Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hey all You all can add me as a friend if you'd like. Binge eating has been an issue for me for years but has gotten better recently. If you send a friend request just say it's from this thread please. I think we should start a group here for binge eaters so we can post there when we feel the binge starting or step away from the binge. I really recommend Overcoming Binge Eating it is full of ideas and lots of research that can help you identify your triggers. It helps to be aware of the binge and your triggers.

There is already a group - but it's not very active. Thanks for the book recommendation :)
  • marigold8g
    marigold8g Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate-have been an emotional eater/binge eater as long as I can remember. :( I just started a week ago-had a rough first four days-but I feel better about the last few... But that seems to be how it goes. :( I've been to counseling and know it is not about the food but know I need to eat healthier so figure tracking my food intake might help me to do that (increase my veggies etc. which I definitely need to do-plus I feel better when I do but I'm just not motivated to do so otherwise.)

I would love to have some friends that understand how it is so we can support each other to get through this so please add me! :)
  • shannonmaria
    shannonmaria Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have 2 horrible problems and binge eating is one of them. I'm great during the day, but at night every thing falls apart. My other problem is that no matter how hard I want to, I don't follow through on anything. I tell myself "Tomorrow will be different. I'll be better and I'll exercise instead of binge." I feel like all I do is think about food. I just don't know how to stop all of this. I am really mad at myself because I know exactly what I need to and should be doing, but for some reason I don't allow it to happen. It's like I'm stuck in this endless cycle. This past year I've gained 30 pounds because of it.
    Thank you for posting this. Feels good to admit what I've been allowing myself to do even though it is bad. I'm so proud of all the people on here who post their success stories and pictures. I think to myself: How come they can do it and I can't? I really want to, just gotta figure out how put a stop to this binge eating.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I am also a binge eater. I struggled with depression throughout my teenage years, and darn near drowned in it when I left for college. My friend finally pushed me to see the campus counselor, and I spent over a year doing weekly meetings with her. During this time, we addressed my binge eating. I learned how to recognize the signs that I was heading towards a binge, and how to redirect those emotions.

I am by no means perfect, sometimes I still eat my feelings. However, I now recognize what I am doing, and am much more likely to realize that I am not helping myself. I have to stay very honest with myself about my feelings. Sometimes I work out frustration in the gym, destress with music, or just let go and have a good cry. But reaching for the food is few and far between now.
  • dreamtoned10
    dreamtoned10 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Ok so theres actually loads of us, coming out and admitting to what we do....some of us for the first time. Go us!! Ive joined two groups on here, one is OA, and the other is binge-eating support group....lets try and get these groups more active so they can be a tool when we need to get through a craving or a binge, or a place to support someone else !

2012 is the year to stop this behaviour...when you think about it, how ridiculous is it to sit and eat until we cant breathe...yet most of us are so regimented in our calories/eating/allowed foods/excercise every other day? Seriously???? Lets not do it any more.It needs to stop, there has to be more to life than eating until our stomachs are stretched, bloated, until we feel like crying....Im not turning down one more night out with friends, because I know Ive binged that week or day and feel bloated or disgusting.

Anyone feel free to add me with this problem, mention the binge thread, and lets get the binge-eating group more active. Imagine we overcame this through MFP, it would be amazing that we are all in different locations and countries and were able to help random strangers!!!!

xxxx
  • missmegs1908
    missmegs1908 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am a binge eater and have a food addiction. It's something I've just come to terms with over the past few months. I actually had to stop WW because of the "extra" points they give you (I would be waaaay to focused on how I could save them up and binge on something). I went to a few OA meetings - but with two kids under 3, work, gym, life, etc - it's hard to get to meetings.
    Please feel free to add me for support :)
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I don't really identify as someone who has had an eating disorder, but I have certainly had troubles with binging...troubles that I have mostly gotten over.

But since I don't think of it as an illness, my strategies may look a little different than some others. They are primarily behavioral rather than mental. I do not keep binge foods in my house. I try to plan evening activities to deal with the loneliness and isolation that trigger binging. And, I do not have binge foods as a regular part of my diet. Like cake. I don't go out to eat and have cake for dessert. I'll eat pie or ice cream instead. Or chips are a binge food. So, if I want a salty crunchy snack, I'll eat nuts or popcorn instead. I'm a behaviorist, and think that very benign things can trigger behaviors...once the behavior has been established, there doesn't have to be any complicated inner turmoil going on at the time...if your mind associates gummy bears with binging, all it takes is a gummi bear to make you want to binge.

Andy finally, I just accept that sometimes, I want to binge. And because I'm not perfect, I will always have the desire to do things that aren't good for me. But that doesn't make me ill. It just makes me human. And when I can't resist, sometimes I will go through "mini-binges." Like, chips are a binge food, and certain candy, and pizza, and cake. So, I might have a pizza slice, a small bag of candy, and a small bag of chips. Because it makes me feel better, sometimes, do go through a ritual that I find comforting. I guess you could say that I use harm-reduction rather than an abstinence model. I know some folks use the AA model of abstinence, but that model has the "fall of the wagon" metaphor that I, personally, find counterproductive. If I binge, I didn't fall of the wagon, or fall off the path. That makes me go into all or nothing thinking. I just say, oh, I binged. I wished I hadn't done that. I'll have to keep an eye on that to make sure it doesn't happe too often. And then, I keep living my life, the best way I know how.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not bashing other ways that others have dealt with this issue, I'm just sharing my experience, and what worked for me.
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    add me to the list.... it's a life long fight!
  • duchessglencairn
    Options
    I've been an emotional binge eater all of my life. I've never been the person who had one cookie-I've been the person who ate the whole bag. Part of my struggle (every single day) is to express my feelings no matter how trivial or mean. I haven't had a binge in a couple of months but I also know that I binge to sabotage myself so now I feel like I'm just waiting for the binge to happen. I'm thankful that I finally have a core group of friends who don't judge me and listen to me...a support system really helps (so far). I just take it (literally) one minute at a time and just try and remember that I want to be healthy.
  • mummytummybyebye
    Options
    im another, working on it, had a stressful week, found out my son was getting bullied at school then acutally seen him getting hit! and i binged yesterday 1st time in a fortnight which is long for me, i am an emotional binger it started 14 years ago, i realised it was a problem 8 years ago. my mood is affected on if ive binged, what ive binged on, at 1st it was the sweet stuff, and about 4 years ago it became anything and everything. i started running which i will admitt has cut my binges down. it helps me de-stress. i get in a vicious cycle of counting calories start to binge go over calories get down about it and then im full throatle and eat like there is no tomorrow!!!! i often think will i ever go a day without thinking negatively about food?!?!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!