I can not seem to hit 1200 calories

Options
I dont know what to eat to hit 1200 calories, I am always about 360 short at the end of the day. I eat all of my protein but fall short on calories, carbs and fat. Any suggestions. I have never counted what I eat so I dont know what has calories at the end of the day.
Breakfast, instant apple cinnamon oatmeat
5 pretzels between then and lunch
Lunch smart one meal
5 pretzels between lunch and dinner
Dinner usually george forman chicken breast or broiled shrimp or talipa with salad and bushes baked beans.
What can I change to hit my limit?

Replies

• aquietreader
    Options
    What about adding in some fruit with the pretzels?
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories a day, feel free to add me and my diary is open to friends if you want to look. I'm working on trying to be as healthy as possible. I always make home-made food, sometimes it maybe slightly higher in calories but it has way more vitamins and nutrients than a ready meal. Good luck. x
  • kellymae04
    kellymae04 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You could add in some fruits, skim milk, snack on almonds. It's pretty easy to add those calories with a few pieces of fruit :)
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Add an egg in with breakfast.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    More of what you are already eating is one way to do it.
    Otherwise, add some more calorie dense foods - avocado, nuts, olive oil dressing on your salad, rice, potato, sweet potato, fruit, red meat, tuna in oil.
  • aubarnold
    aubarnold Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My diary is open as well, i am around 1200 a day but i am doing a lower carb diet....feel free to check mine out and friend me if you'd like :)
  • rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    try adding some calorie dense foods such as peanut butter. or adding some fruit to your current meals
  • shoeluver67
    shoeluver67 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Throw in an Activia Yogurt or 2...the probiotics are good for you, and they run about 70 calories apiece (the Light ones)
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    A cup of rice

A small pile of pasta

A cup of yogurt

A glass of milk

A piece of toast with butter
  • benbobhenbob
    Options
    monounsaturated fats like olive oil. Or just butter. Butter is delicious.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I wish I had this problem!!! :(

Eat peanut butter!!! Or anything!!! Fruit!!! A granola bar instead of the pretzels. Add some barbecue sauce to your chicken or full Ranch dressing on your salad.

Good luck!!
  • Molly_Pitcher
    Molly_Pitcher Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Wine! a 4 oz glass of red wine is usally 100 calories and it is actually really good for you if you aren't overdoing it.
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Just some random thoughts:
    Add more protein packed foods. Dairy? Low fat cheese, yogurt, milk. Dip your pretzels in hummus or peanut butter. You'll probably go over your protein, but it'll be okay. 2 TBSP of PB contains 200 calories. Hummus is also calorie dense and good for you with lots of protein. Also, add more fruit and veggies. Eat some carrots/celery with the pretzels. Take an apple. Buy some frozen veggies and eat them with your lunch.
  • larke15
    larke15 Posts: 14
    Options
    I went to a nutritionist and was told to try to eat a fruit/veggie with every meal...snack more often!
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Some days I have the same problem. Usually if I'm way short, I have some apple slices or a banana with peanut butter.
  • thenance007
    thenance007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It is healthier to eat some protein with each meal and snack to keep metabolism high and slow down digestion of the carbs. You might add an egg with breakfast AND the almonds/nuts, a glass of milk, or some string cheese with your snacks.
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    How about add some peanut butter, almond butter, or nutella - 2 tablespoons is about 200 calories.

If I'm low on calories I almost always add fat because it's so calorie dense.
  • camayallover
    camayallover Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Try Special K bars or Greek Yogurt (fat free). Both are great in balancing carbs and protein and would fit. I love the strawberry meal replacement bars from Special K....yum!

Use them as a snack so I get 5 meals a day in without thinking about it...for me at my calories it works great. Hope this helps!
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    My diary is open add me :-D
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    try cutting up a real apple and putting it in your apple cinnamon oatmeal! nuts are a great and nutritious way to get calories (just a 1/4 cup of walnuts or almonds is over 200 calories).