What to eat when you crave ALL food?

Options
I've found that sometimes I just crave eating any kind of food... I have this problem when its been some hours after the last meal and its now lunch or dinner time... All I want to do is scarf down food... I really don't want to do this, I want to stay on track...

Anybody have suggestions on what to eat that will help? I'm not eating just for the sake of eating, rather I'm eating because I feel soooo hungry and all I want to do is eat eat eat...

Any specific food option ideas would help...

Thank you!

-Josh

Replies

• japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary so I don't know what your eating. That makes it hard to suggest something to help eliminate the hunger monster.
  • iokua15
    Options
    Yeah, it's kind of a personal choice... I feel like that is letting people in too much... I'm kind of funny that way online... I understand..
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh the "EAT THE WORLD" craving. I know it well my friend.

When that happens I drink a hot cup of tea and consider my options. I take sugar in my tea so that tends to quash the majority of cravings.

If however it doesn't go away then the best option I find is a big sandwich! Plenty of carbs and protein in one easy to hold bundle :)

Check that you're eating enough calories for the day though, as japruzze said, it's tricky to be really helpful without an idea of what you're doing. You may not be eating enough for your current weight, you may not be eating back enough of your exercise calories. You might not have enough protein in your diet (protein is a must have for staying full between meals).

If you would like to add me and open your diary to friends I'll certainly try to help you as only a complete stranger with no training or official knowledge whatsoever can :D
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I would suggest two things:-

1) build snacks into your day, so that the gap between meals isn't so huge

2) investigate low GI/GL foods and try and alter your meals so that they at least contain some of these slower release foods, that will help you to feel less hungry for longer

http://www.glycemicindex.com/about.php
    "The glycemic index (GI) is a ranking of carbohydrates on a scale from 0 to 100 according to the extent to which they raise blood sugar levels after eating. Foods with a high GI are those which are rapidly digested and absorbed and result in marked fluctuations in blood sugar levels. Low-GI foods, by virtue of their slow digestion and absorption, produce gradual rises in blood sugar and insulin levels, and have proven benefits for health..... They have benefits for weight control because they help control appetite and delay hunger...."

EDIT: I found this interesting as well. I saw a programme a few months back where they gave two groups of people exactly the same meal, and measured how long it took for their stomach to empty (scientifically), and them to feel hungry again (just through questionnaires). The difference was, one group had the meal on a plate, with water on the side, the other group had the whole meal made up into the soup with the liquid blended into it. The group that ate the meal and the water on the side had hunger signals earlier, because their body absorbed the water quickly, leaving the smaller solid food portion behind, making their stomach feel emptier sooner. The group that had it all blended absorbed it slower. So if in doubt, eat soup! lol
  • deedles7
    deedles7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try preparing the days food ahead of time , lay it out so you can visually see how much food you are allowed. Some people even take a picture.. Make sure you eat 6 times a day..every 3-4 hours!!! That way your body does not go into monster mode! For me going for a brisk walk or some type of exercise gives me more calories to add to my allotment and also curbs my appetite. Hope this helps.
  • nmunson4
    nmunson4 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I chew sugar free gum to help with cravings!