lower ab's

Options
what helps the lower abs? when i go to the gym i get on an ab machine with 60 lbs of weight. it helps my sides, upper and middle abs, but not my lower!! i have this pooch i'm trying to get rid of!!!:grumble:

Replies

• meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    what helps the lower abs? when i go to the gym i get on an ab machine with 60 lbs of weight. it helps my sides, upper and middle abs, but not my lower!! i have this pooch i'm trying to get rid of!!!:grumble:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about others, but I have a workout program that toned mine. I was eating a LOW fat diet though (like unhealthy low). The program is Slim in 6.
    You may be able to google moves though that focus on those muscles.
    Cause the first thing is shedding the fat so the muscle shows.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    you know the thing that the gym where you prop your arms on and have to lift your legs? Do that- lol- sorry I don't know the name of it.
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    doing lower ab excercises will not get rid of your "pooch" directly... you would have just as much luck working out your biceps as you would the lower abs.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    you know the thing that the gym where you prop your arms on and have to lift your legs? Do that- lol- sorry I don't know the name of it.

I think it's called the captains chair (at least that's what my gym calls it)
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    doing lower ab excercises will not get rid of your "pooch" directly... you would have just as much luck working out your biceps as you would the lower abs.

beautiful dog in your pic!!
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options

Ohhhh I love that thing!
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    you know the thing at the gym where you prop your arms on and have to lift your legs? Do that- lol- sorry I don't know the name of it.

I think it's called the captains chair (at least that's what my gym calls it)

Thanks! lol
  • mrsyac2
    Options

it won't get rid of it but it will help tone it which will make it go down a bit but yes she does need cardio as well.
  • ngifto
    ngifto Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i used slim in 6 before and there is a "free" video called slim in 6-pack and i find that its great for core stabilization. as chubby bunny said if u can google the moves or get only that tape then i recommend it, it's hard in the beginning but u'll get used to it
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    There are no lower or upper abdominals.
    Your abs stretch from your sternum to your pubic bone vertically. There are other ones, obliques, that span from your ribs to your hip bones. When you're lifting your legs up to your body, you're working your hip flexors, which connect your thigh bone to your hips.

The only thing that will reduce fat in that area is overall fat loss.
  • sarturne
    sarturne Posts: 10
    Options
    There is a pike you can do using an exercise ball. There are a lot of good ways to work your abs with the exercise ball I would google it.
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    I found it- Its called a hanging leg raise- but you have to have decent upper body strength since your upper body has to hold your weight.

Also that crunch that you crunch to each knee example
    Left elbow to right knee and Right elbow to left knee-- Sorry Im not helpful in the correct names I just know which ones to do lol-
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Best Lower Ab Workout - How to Blast the Lower Abs
    By Tom Gifford

The first thing that you should understand is that just working the lower abs will not result in losing fat in that area. In order to lose fat in that area, you need to lose fat all over your body. This is how basic fat loss works. If you have a lot of fat to lose, then the best lower ab workout in the world won't do the trick all by itself. The same goes for someone who just has to lose the last few pounds.

1. Alternating Supine Leg Walks

Start off by laying on your back with your hands under your buttocks. Lift your legs so they are vertical. Contract your abs so your midsection is tense.

Then, lower 1 leg so your foot is a few inches from the ground. Hold there for about 1 second, then return that leg to the starting position. Alternate which leg you lower.

Try a reps and really try to feel the lower abs working.

2. Supine Reverse Crunches

Start off by laying on your back with your hands under your buttocks. Lift your legs so they are vertical, then bend your knees at a 90 degree angle. Contract your abs so your midsection is tense.

Keeping your knees bent at the same angle, slowly lower them until the back of your feet are a few inches above the ground. Then, bring your knees up towards your chest and really squeeze your abs while doing this.

Repeat.

3. Leg Lifts

Start off by laying on your back with your hands under your buttocks. Lift your legs so they are vertical.

Contract your midsection by engaging the upper abs.

Then, lower both legs so that the back of your feet are right above the ground. After holding that position for a few second, return your legs to the vertical position.

Repeat.

**** These burn deliciously!
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    cardio is key for shrinking all over- there is no such thing as targeting fat loss- you basically need to step up the cardio- I have lost a few inches in my belly just in the last 4 weeks from hitting the gym hard I do cardio and strength training and burn a min of 500 calories 4-5 days a week- but I burn anywhere from 500-750 calories in a session at the gym
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    I just thought this was a cool visual about the abdominal muscles....

10835-0550x0475.jpg
  • meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    ok cool thanks everyone for the advice! :) i'll try that captin's chair next time i'm at the gym. i always hit cardio hard. tonight i did 6 miles and 700 calories on the eliptical...i feel great...tomorrow maybe not so much
  • BxMom
    BxMom Posts: 363
    Options
    I am not sure about others, but I have a workout program that toned mine. I was eating a LOW fat diet though (like unhealthy low). The program is Slim in 6.
    You may be able to google moves though that focus on those muscles.
    Cause the first thing is shedding the fat so the muscle shows.

Awesome program
  • notoriousteaz
    Options
    The movement that you do in that "captain's chair" thing is about it. Since I work out at home, what I do is lie on the floor on my back and do leg lifts, knees unbent.

Another thing I found just recently that really seems to work is also similar--you sit on the edge of a couch or bed and put your handsnext to your hips to stabilise yourself, then stretch your legs straight out and lean your torso back, then bend into an N shape, and back in and out. (does that make sense?)

I like both of those :smile: