Calories burned during Back Day

Options
gtwin
gtwin Posts: 290 Member
So I tried out my new Polar FT7 today for back day...and I burned 322 calories in just 30 minutes of lifting. Considering I was lifting in the 8-12 range with heavy weight, does this sound pretty accurate compared to those of you who have used your HRM while lifting? I'm 5'3, female, and 171 lbs.....so I'm guessing it's a pretty fair number, I was just surpised at how high it was.

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    HRM numbers are useless when it comes to estimating calorie burn during a strength workout. The increased heart rate is not associated with an increase in oxygen uptake.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    HRM numbers are useless when it comes to estimating calorie burn during a strength workout. The increased heart rate is not associated with an increase in oxygen uptake.

I did not know this. I have only used mine for cardio as i have not started strength training. How would you measure calories burned through strength training?
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

Yeah....he's right. I found this out after I got mine too. It doesnt get much use... Boo :(
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

I did not know this. I have only used mine for cardio as i have not started strength training. How would you measure calories burned through strength training?

If you want to enter them just use the MFP calculation when you enter it. It's not that much of a burn, but the lasting effects make up for that.
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Really?!?!?! I didn't know that! Thank you for saving me 100+ bucks I was going to spend getting one!
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Wow...I didn't know this either. So HRM's are only useful for cardio training? So those using it for P90X, Insanity, and other circuit type training...aren't able to know their cals burned either?