Healthy cheese?

Options
hsh0927
hsh0927 Posts: 259 Member
What are some good, healthy cheeses? Not the little wedges that are the size of a quater and gives you 3 bites. I've heard people talking about using spreadable cheese on fruit sandwiches and other foods but I don't know what kind. Any suggestions/ideas??

Replies

• fusiongal
    fusiongal Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My tip is always to buy a stronger cheese and use lesser of it! Works for me :-) Cottage cheese is supposed to be good for you, but I can't stand the stuff - unless it's cooked in something like lasagne.
  • hstevens3
    Options
    The little triangle cheese is the cheese they are probably talking about to spread on fruits and stuff. It's the laughing cow
  • sassyjvg
    Options
    Parmigano Regiano is a low calorie, flavor packed cheese and a good source of calcium.
  • marielouisehilton
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Was looking for ideas and found this thread, anyone got any more ideas for healthier cheeses? I am looking to boost my protein, rather than a cheese addict ;o)

Thank you!
  • Bethyann7793
    Options
    There's a healhy cheese???!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Do you mean "healthy" as in contains nutritional benefits, or "low-calorie"? Because you can get lower calorie cheese, but be aware that low-calorie foods are just more processed versions of the "real" thing.

I would go for higher quality, hard cheese and eat in moderation. I like parmigano Regiano because a little bit goes a long way.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is healthy, but a better option. I buy cheese made from 2% milk. I get the sharp cheddar to get more taste for less cheese. I also use real parmesan cheese, not the stuff in the shaker. It too gives more flavor for less.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Parmesan and Sharp are great because they are a stronger cheese so you can use less.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Be careful with the sodium. Lot of it in cheese.
  • moksumike
    moksumike Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    White cheese is almost always more healthy than yellow cheese. Some of the best white cheeses are Farmers Cheese and Yogurt (Fountain of Youth) Cheese. Farmers Cheese is getting a little more common in the grocery store, Yogurt Cheese you may have to look for at s Cheese/Deli type store. They are both a mild cheese

Monterey Jack Nacho cheese spread is low calorie, (40 calories for 2 Tbs) but it is not very natural and full of chemicals.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    God made cheese so we could have little peices of heavan on earth. All cheese is healthy :) in my book...especially paired with wine :wink:

But, Laughing cow is a great substitute and you can get VERY creative with them. Wraps, pasta, sammies, dips, etc.
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Linessa makes some great ones, anything from mozzarella and cottage cheese to low fat brie and cheddar and it's all amazing! I love it!
  • frecklesgalore
    Options
    It isn't a spreadable cheese but Cabot makes a 75% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese. I like the white version and use it on everything from eggs to veggies to crackers. I had a friend try it and she noticed a bit of a difference in taste but once I showed her the nutritional facts she was hooked!

http://www.cabotcheese.coop/pages/our_products/product.php?catID=6&id=7
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Goat Cheese!!!

Goes really good on veggie sandwiches, and has a really strong flavor, so you don't need to use too much. (about 70 calories an oz)
  • hauntgoddess
    hauntgoddess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    They have fat free Kraft cheese in cheddar shredded/American Singles...they are low on Sugar/Fat(what I look for.) They also have fat free American Singles in Kroger brand.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I eat Camembert cheese and it is around 50 calories for a 1 inch cube. I eat it really slowly and it satisfies my cheese cravings.

I also love the Laughing Cow triangle things. though theyre less cheesy and more cream cheesy.
  • Briszler75
    Briszler75 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I like feta cheese in salads... yummy and I don't have dressing on it, just feta cheese, olives and salad. YUMMEH!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    It isn't a spreadable cheese but Cabot makes a 75% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese. I like the white version and use it on everything from eggs to veggies to crackers. I had a friend try it and she noticed a bit of a difference in taste but once I showed her the nutritional facts she was hooked!

http://www.cabotcheese.coop/pages/our_products/product.php?catID=6&id=7

Reduced Fat = Increased Sodium

You may be eating less fat, but you'll end up retaining more water. I second the "little bit of the real thing" sentiment.
  • roslynds9
    roslynds9 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Philidelphia extra light is really nice =) you can get it in little individual portion pots that are only 38cals but more than enough for two slices of bread.
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    We get 2% slices and weight watchers shredded cheese...sure it adds calories but it's not like we use it with everything.