desk job

Options
i have a desk job and i feel like i would loose weight so much faster if i had a different job
i think about the day and think wow i've been sitting down for 10 hours of the day so i'm a little frustrated any one else feel this way:noway:

Replies

• jocelynnbug
    jocelynnbug Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i have a desk job and i feel like i would loose weight so much faster if i had a different job
    i think about the day and think wow i've been sitting down for 10 hours of the day so i'm a little frustrated any one else feel this way:noway:
  • miasuperstar
    Options
    i don't have a desk job but have in the past and know its hard. I used to actually feel really tired afterwork even though i'd been sitting down all day! IT can really help if you bring some walking shoes to work and take a long, brisk walk during lunch. Other folks in your office who'd be interested in that could make it more fun too. Other small things help also, taking the stairs, and even pacing around the work place if it's conducive. There are also exercises you can do at your desk with hand weights and ankle weights can be really helpful because they're hidden under the desk and your legs can be lifting or doing whatever with very few people noticing. Drink lots of water too because many office seem to be very dry and dehydrating! Good luck.
  • MrsNattles
    Options
    I agree with the previous post. It's all the little things you can do during the day to get away from your desk. I'm not sure what kind of lunch break you take, but frequently I take 20 minutes to eat a healthy lunch (of course!) and then I go for a quick walk around the office neighbourhood, to make it my full hour break. It's good to get away from the desk, but also I usually come back in a better mood and with a clear mind. Another thing that I've been doing is taking the stairs. Simple, but it gets the blood flowing. Finally, I don't bring bottles of water with me at my desk. I just keep a glass and since I drink a TON of water daily, I make many trips to the kitchen at my office to fill up my glass (not to mention the many trips to the ladies room due to all that water).

Hope this motivates you to get up from your desk! :tongue:
  • ggabald
    ggabald Posts: 14
    Options
    I work 4 10s at a desk. My favorite two things about my job are that it keeps me away from the fridge and I am not necessarily tied down to the desk. When I feel like I can't stand it anymore and need a break from my reports, I do other tasks involving some physical effort. For example,

1. Inventory and replenish the office supply or janitorial cabinets
    2. Gather up paper for recycling or break down boxes
    3. Type filing labels while standing and setting up the files
    4. Replenish the coke machine
    5. Walk to the mailbox
    6. Conduct safety walks throughout the building
    7. Receive and distribute packages and mail
    8. Change the bottled water on the water cooler
    9. Send your print job to the printer across the building instead of the stand-alone in your office
    10. Take the stairs instead of the elevator

There are lots of productive, work-related activities that involve physical activity. Hope some of these ideas help!
  • BxMom
    BxMom Posts: 363
    Options
    Here are some exercises you can do at your desk (from Motleyhealth.com)

1. Ankle Circles
    Lift feet off the floor. Draw a circle with the toes, simultaneously moving one foot clockwise and the other foot counter-clockwise. Reverse circles. Rotate in each direction for 15 seconds. Alternatively, write each letter of the alphabet with your big toe. This increases the range of motion and strengthens the joint.

2. Foot Pumps
    Start with both heels on the floor and point feet upward as high as you can.
    Put both feet flat on the floor.
    Lift heels high, keeping balls of feet on the floor.
    Repeat these three stages in a continuous motion and in 30-second intervals.

3. Knee Lifts
    Lift leg with knee bent while contracting your thigh muscle. Alternate legs. Repeat 20 to 30 times for each leg.

4. Neck Roll
    With shoulders relaxed, drop ear to shoulder and gently roll neck forward and back, holding each position about five seconds. Repeat five times.

5. Knee to Chest
    Bend forward slightly. Clasp hands around the left knee and hug it to your chest. Hold stretch for 15 seconds. Keeping hands around the knee, slowly let it down. Alternate legs. Repeat 10 times.

6. Forward Flex
    With both feet on the floor and stomach held in, slowly bend forward and walk your hands down the front of your legs toward your ankles. Hold stretch for 15 seconds and slowly sit back up.

7. Shoulder Roll
    Hunch shoulders forward, then upward, then backward, and downward, using a gentle circular motion.

The below tips are from: associatedcontent.com
    • Upper-body stretch. While seated, link your wrists and stretch your arms up over your head while breathing deeply. If flexible enough, lean your head and shoulders back at the same time, still breathing deeply. (Releases lower back tension, strengthens arms, loosens tight wrists.)

• Wrist stretches. Place your elbow on the table, palm facing up. With your other hand, press your fingers and wrists backward. (Stretches wrists and helps prevent carpal-tunnel syndrome).

• Cubicle forward bend. At least once an hour, get out of your chair and stand up. Then bend forward as far as you comfortably can while breathing deeply. Grab onto your knees, ankles (or the floor) as your flexibility allows. (Relieves low back pain, increases flexibility, strengthens legs).

Practice the 20-20-20 rule. To prevent eyestrain, blurred vision, and tension headaches, stick to the 20-20-20 rule. Every 20 minutes, take your focus away from your computer screen and focus on something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.