Not enough Fat??

Options
OK, so pretty much every day I'm under on my fat grams by quite a bit, which the obvious part of my mind thinks...duh...you're trying to lose weight, so that's a good thing. But then the evil over-analyzing part of my brain thinks it's NOT a good thing. I don't intentionally pick non fat foods or anything. I guess I just eat leaner meats and yogurts and whatnot without fat.

So my question in a nutshell, should I be upping my fat intake? Like...healthy fats like nuts, olive oil, stuff like that? Or am I over thinking and it's fine?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Fats are the foundation for cell membranes – including the cells in our brains. In fact, fat is critical to brain development and maintenance, and provides the building blocks for cell membranes needed for important work to be performed by neurotransmitters which are responsible for regulation of our moods.
    Fats are needed for the manufacturing of hormones and prostaglandins that regulate bodily functions like immune system function, digestion, and reproductive activity.
    Fats keep the digestive tract working smoothly and balance blood sugar levels.
    The myelin sheath around our nerves is comprised of fats; if we don’t eat fats, the tissue making up these sheaths becomes damaged and can die.
    Fats are necessary to keep our body temperature regulated, protecting internal organs from damage, and allow us to have continuous levels of energy throughout each day

I always make sure I eat things in good fats. Avocados, olive oil, nuts.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Raw nuts (not roasted/not peanuts), good oils (no trans), avocados (wonderful oils) - stir clear of hydrogenated oils - google and read "hydrogenated oils, the silent killer" it will give you good oil alternatives. YES, your body needs good fats/oils, and when it get these, you'll notice a huge decrease of any type of cravings. Also, take a fish oil supplement, this gives your body the good oils it needs and helps to eliminate the bad oils such as Omega 6's.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Looking back over the last week I see most of my days have at least 50 grams of fat, but is there a way on here to see if they are the good fats or not? Does it break down the saturated/trans fats etc?
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Looking back over the last week I see most of my days have at least 50 grams of fat, but is there a way on here to see if they are the good fats or not? Does it break down the saturated/trans fats etc?

Yes, click settings while you are in your food diary (on the blue bar at the top under the tabs) and you can select saturated fats. Not sure about trans fats though... I have never looked for it.