spin class manners

Options
I'm wondering if anyone has had this experience in a spin class. I got to the gym early, put a towel on my bike and then went to warm up on the elliptical. I came back into the room 15 min. before class was to begin and some guy was riding my bike. He had moved my towel and earplugs to another bike! And no, I don't think he was new to the gym because he was wearing cycling shoes and looked quite serious about his ride. Our cycling room has about 75 bikes and only four people were in the room (it was 15 min. prior to class). Never had that happen before!

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    they walk among us
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Lol!!:laugh:
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Seriously, that's rude.

I seen a guy just yesterday, take 5 lbs bells and start flairing them around like in all angles punching up, out, back, left, right like a dance. I'm not one to judge peoples routines, but the fact he was wearing sunglasses in a well lit gym, with a hoodie over his head, like the unibomber with headphones, AND standing in front all the barbells. He effectively stopped every single person from not only walking by for fear of a 5 to the teeth, but from taking any one of the bells either.

Unlike your rudie, mine did not look like he had any damn manners, had ever been there before, or even knew that 5lbs are not there to twirl.
  • fittocycle
    Options
    That's not only rude, it's dangerous! And I'm guessing he neglected to wipe down the equipment when he was finished too!
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    In spin class yesterday, the woman next to me was constantly checking her cell phone!!! Every time she received a text she had to look at it. Since they keep the room dark, it was very bright and distracting. Of course, i don't like to be so quick to judge, for all I know she was waiting on important news about something....but there's also a good chance that wasn't the case as well. People and their cell phones these days really amaze me!

LOL you took "his" bike!! Those people with all the gear tend to be pretty particular, maybe he knows something about that bike in particular....but either way, you claimed it, and that is just rude! I bet he thought since there were 70 other open bikes, that you wouldn't notice, haha!
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your gym. My gym has a rule that you are not supposed to save a bike. There is big sign outside the door to the class with the rules and number one is no saving bikes. If you want it, you need to be in it.
  • fittocycle
    Options
    It's funny how the rules differ from gym to gym. I've been at the same one for about six years and they've always had the same rule-you can save your bike plus one other. I do get it that people are territorial about bikes. I know I like to have a bike in a row with fans. But I would never think of moving someone else's stuff off a bike to take it. :frown: I've been going to spin classes for about 15 years and it's the first time I've had that happen!
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    These stories make my blood boil to read. Did you say something to him? Or did you get all mad and spend the next half-day thinking about all the things you could have said/done? (I probably would have chosen the second option, but like to think that one day I'll be sassy enough to say something to someone's face when they're totally rude and obnoxious like that).
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    These stories make my blood boil to read. Did you say something to him? Or did you get all mad and spend the next half-day thinking about all the things you could have said/done? (I probably would have chosen the second option, but like to think that one day I'll be sassy enough to say something to someone's face when they're totally rude and obnoxious like that).

boiling blood is bad. let it go. breathe deep....
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options

boiling blood is bad. let it go. breathe deep....

Lol....maybe not "boiling"....but you know, more than "tepid"....
  • Caitlinhappymeal
    Caitlinhappymeal Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Haha next week you should go in early and just get that bike and stay on it and just give him a great big smile when he comes in!!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Nobody in my YMCA weight room unracks their barbells once they're done. NOBODY! I've only been going here for 2 weeks now, and I swear I've seen only 2 other people derack a barbell besides myself.
  • fittocycle
    Options
    Haha, Caitlin, that's exactly what came to my mind too!
  • RoosterB
    RoosterB Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Seems to be a big issue with spinning. My gym has a bums on seats policy. You have to turn up real early to get a bike cos when they tried a ticket system they gave out more tickets than they had bikes, so that failed. When you do manage to get a bike, if you go for a pee before class, the gym allow people to move your kit and take the bike.
    We also get those who will have a go at people cos they 'always use bike number 19', and 'can't you use number 23'.

Simple answer "No, f*!k off!!!". They tend not to bother you again.
    It's pathetic and makes you wonder how these people manage in real life.