Commenting on people's food diaries

Options
For the most part, do people want you to be honest and critical on their food diaries? i know that I do. If people see that I'm lacking in a certain area I want to hear about it so I can work towards making more healthy changes in my day to day life. Does everyone want that though? Does someone I only know casually on here want me telling them that I think they need to eat more veggies and less processed foods? Or that they better up their water intake because their sodium is off the charts? I never know if I should just say..."great day" since they were under calories or actually say what I think?

Replies

• cieralea7
    cieralea7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you have constructive tips to share I say go for it....but I think it's important to remember tact goes a long way!!! :)
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I know I dont mind the feedback, if I want to make changes I will, if I dont i'll just disregard the comment.

I'll ask before passing judgement on someones diary though, unless they have either asked for feedback, or I see something that is really unhealthy (eg 500 cals a day or significantly over their calories consistantly for a long time.

I'm not sensitive though, and if I give feedback to people who dont want it they are free to tell me to back off! :tongue:
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Well I was just talking to one of my Pals today on this...I think that so many people make it a negative thing to just bring to surface things that they see in you diary that probably helped them along the way...I know alot of times when i suggest something or just inform to watch for..its really not taken in a negative view( at least thats what I think)..I do it to share some of the things that I have found from those helpful to me...We should all be here for a better lifestyle and if you dont want to really get it keep it closed...at that point you wont really get any comments..I no longer comment on Closed Diaries I cant see what I am saying great job too...
  • sandhillcrane
    Options
    That's the question of the day! If I don't think they ate healthy but were under, I say something like, 'good logging' I don't like to lie about it. Most people eat empty calories. I don't want to hurt feelings so I am careful. I think if they want to know why they are always tired or not losing, I will be honest as long as they are asking. :glasses:
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Oh I totally agree...I can always find something nice to say about someone's food for the day, even if it's just saying how much I like a certain thing they ate. I just don't know if it's rude to say anything critical or if that's what they post it for.
  • Leanne3552000
    Leanne3552000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I like it when people comment on my good days but not on my bad days. I'm well educated in what to eat for a balanced diet and know what I'm doing wrong.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Yes, please.
  • nationalparklover
    nationalparklover Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Great question!

The reason I'm on here is to lose weight and I'm obvioiusly no expert (or I wouldn't have 50 pounds to lose!) so I welcome people's opinions about my food diary. That is why I post it. I appreciate seeing other people's diaries too as it sometimes gives me good ideas. I have had a few constructive criticisms about my diary and I take it for what it is...someone trying to help me reach my goal. I don't always have to agree with them though....but I won't take anything personally. Bring on the comments....
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Oh I totally agree...I can always find something nice to say about someone's food for the day, even if it's just saying how much I like a certain thing they ate. I just don't know if it's rude to say anything critical or if that's what they post it for.

I post it for me, I make it public for others to get idea's or make suggestions. I'm the first to admit I need more veggies. :smile:
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I only critique if they complain about not losing or gaining, but if things are going well for them, who am I to criticize? :flowerforyou:
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    From my experience, I only give someone my opinion on what they're eating if they explicitly ask for it.

I do view diaries for healthy food ideas, but that's exactly my point - the button says 'View Diary', not 'Comment on Diary with a detailed analysis based on your beliefs and personal experiences'.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I am pressed for time I have given a "wtg" or something like that, but I like to look at people's diaries and do what I am here for, hold them accountable. I want to hear where I could be doing better!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    It depends on the person and I would ask them.

I love it when people criticize my diary. I want to know improvements and changes where they think I need it!
    My family stocked my kitchen since I am broke until work starts next month. So more unhealthy food than normal, but telling them in advance helped
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    For the most part, do people want you to be honest and critical on their food diaries? i know that I do. If people see that I'm lacking in a certain area I want to hear about it so I can work towards making more healthy changes in my day to day life. Does everyone want that though? Does someone I only know casually on here want me telling them that I think they need to eat more veggies and less processed foods? Or that they better up their water intake because their sodium is off the charts? I never know if I should just say..."great day" since they were under calories or actually say what I think?

Blast away! I want feedback because that is why I am here. I don't care if I don't know you, you might have some great ideas for me! :happy:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Oh no!

My fragile ego might get bruised......:laugh:
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I don't mind if people comment on mine, but I don't make comments on other people's diaries -- other than an occasional 'good job.' A common thing I see is people either eating an unhealthily low number of calories or eating large amounts of junk and then exercising a lot so they can technically be "under their calorie goal." Of course their sodium is through the roof and protein is way under -- and then they complain that they're not losing weight. I've found that most people get defensive even when you try to tactfully give advice. I've been successful with weight loss (which you'd think would give me some credibility) and I like to try to spare people from making all of the same mistakes I made before finally getting it right, but I guess people have to learn the hard way.
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I don't mind some criticism. The only thing I might have a tough time with is the fact that I have been making most things from scratch. Something like the 2tbsp of honey mustard and sweet potato fries I had for dinner might look like a load of processed crap to somebody, when I actually peeled, sliced, and baked the fries myself, and made the honey mustard from 3tbsp brown mustard, 3tbsp honey, 1tbsp mayo and 1tsp canola oil. Was it the healthiest thing I could have eaten? Probably not, but better than buying it full of preservatives and such.
  • hrs80
    hrs80 Posts: 11
    Options
    I want people to critique my diary... if I didn't I would keep it private.

Soooo... lay it on me!
  • mobskee
    mobskee Posts: 200
    Options

You can critisize me all you want! :bigsmile: I always welcome the advice.
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I like to see what other people are eating. I decided to share mine to give myself more accountability, too. I eat very simply so I may help people that don't cook. I could probably use more veggies and I also know that. I want to find balance, and hopefully will log even when I do eat fast food or something not so healthy and I wouldn't want someone to tsk me about it unless I did it all the time and wondered why I was having a problem. Overall, I think if people let you look, they shouldn't be offended if you comment but obviously tact is key and nobody wants a know it all telling them their choices are bad because it could discourage them. It's one step at a time, and there is a learning curve. Just having a food diary is a step in the right direction.

I do have a problem with cheering for people only because they were under their calorie goal. A lot of people are too far below. Our calories already allow for a deficit so logging and meeting your goal is great as well. I don't always eat my exercise calories, mostly because I think MFP overestimates a lot of them and I don't have a HRM to get the accurate burn so I don't want to overeat. :)