Do you pre-log your exercises?

Options
2»

Replies

• monkeymouse74
    Options
    If you're motivated by logging early, I say go for it!!:happy: Personally I see it as a reward to log once I've completed my exercise.:drinker: I do sometimes log my food in advance, I'm trying to eat more, I really struggle to get all the callories in. But I have been doing better over the last two day's.:blushing:
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how we are wired. I personally do not because I haven't earned it yet. I can't eat more calories until I've earned the right to do so.

Hmmm. I never think of it that way. I plan my food around how much energy (fuel) I need for my workouts. Many Saturdays I ride 2-3 hours and will burn appx 1100 - 1600 cals. I will usually eat at least some of those extra calories the day before the ride in order to store glycogen.

If I do a really big ride, like 100 miles where I'll burn over 4000 cals, I'll eat extra starting 3 days before.

Your body needs the fuel BEFORE the event.

blessings.
  • chicklidell
    Options
    Sometimes I've found that by logging in my exercise BEFORE doing it, it's practically been chiseled into stone and one way or another it will be done.

Curious if its taboo for some peeps to ever log something that hasn't preceded?
    Actually, I do.
    I have a 2 hour workout most days, and I start at 530 am for an hour of cardio.
    I eat breakfast, then do an hour of resistance.

Later, I'll play tennis or something but count that as "activity", and in the end, it all adds up to a great day.

Are workout styles are very similar...cardio....eat..later resistance, then I show up to my job...lol...and then fun stuff...right now I roller derby and play raquetball...and teach classes! but don't add in the fun stuff
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I do religiously.

It's how I keep track. organize and have a sense of order to what I'm doing. It lets me knwo where I am, where I am slacking or plateauing on lifts to give myself a rest longer.

It's everything to how I manage my weights.

The results are impressive though. I tripled my weights in two months. I know EXACTLY what it will take to get to a goal, how long it will take to get there.

On the flyers cant do that.

I really value your opinion. I did double my weights in the span of two months and found it incredibly difficult. Perhaps if I pre-logged my exercises I would've gained faster results.

I'd still say though that, as an on-the-flyer, I will do it. It will just take longer and be a lot more difficult to get there.

I mainly pre-log exercises when I know I've eaten above average lunches/breakfasts. I pre-log some exercise and make sure to do it to plan my dinner so I don't go over my limit. It's how I keep my balance.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I used to do this sometimes, because like you said, I felt it would MAKE me do it. However, now I use the app runtastic on my iphone to help count calories a bit more precisely so I wait till after. My next step is the Heart Rate Monitor watch. Once I get that I will never log before I do because I want accurate numbers.
  • ryanherbert
    ryanherbert Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Definitely, especially if I work out later in the day. I want to know how many calories left I really have!
  • lizalee85
    Options
    On days that I am eating more than my daily allowance or if I am craving something and am right at what I am suppose to eat for the day I log before I work out so I make sure I am not going over my total calories including the workout calories. That being said I always make sure I do at least what I pre-logged and sometimes more. I use the pre-logging as a minimum which sometimes encourages me to work out even more.
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Meals, yes (if I know what my mom is cooking).

Exercise, sometimes. Only the strength building stuff I do before bed like squats, or bridge.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I never think of it that way. I plan my food around how much energy (fuel) I need for my workouts. Many Saturdays I ride 2-3 hours and will burn appx 1100 - 1600 cals. I will usually eat at least some of those extra calories the day before the ride in order to store glycogen.

If I do a really big ride, like 100 miles where I'll burn over 4000 cals, I'll eat extra starting 3 days before.

Your body needs the fuel BEFORE the event.

You can only store about 2000 calories worth of glycogen, which is not going to meet the needs of the 3-4 hr bike ride. Anything eaten more than what can be stored right then, is stored as fat unless you use it right then.

Now, using fat as the main fuel source is the answer. Keep the HR low so more fat is burned than at the higher HR. Now you can make that 2000 make it 3-4 hrs without hitting the wall, or needing to keep wolfing down sugar packets (energy gels) in the losing battle to replace the glucose.

Then again, I've never been able to force myself to go that slow either on the bike, just about impossible. Best I've done is set a high HR alarm to stop going into the anaerobic zone.

But ya, unless you are depleting your glucose stores in the days coming up to a long ride by still having intense exercise, eating that far in advance isn't really doing anything for you. Even the carbo-loading popularized by runners really has a very specific ritual to it to provide any benefit. Pasta the night before ain't it.

Eating well the day in advance so sodium and potassium and other electrolytes are up is about the best you will really benefit from.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I don't, because then I have to go remove it if i don't do it...logging it early has never been a reason I have pushed myself to do it...
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I try to plan everything in advance if I can. I do find it motivating to have a plan and stick to it. Diet or exercise.
  • fittraier
    fittraier Posts: 138
    Options
    I prelog if it helps my planning or if away from internet for extended period of time. I prefer to long on my computer vs. phone, it's just easier as I have a window phone no app, have to go through internet and is kind of a PITA.

I once and a while find I can do more or less depending on how I am feeling that day. I try to listen to my body when it's talking to me. So, I don't what ot have to change things in MFP.
  • RoseJ0
    RoseJ0 Posts: 5
    Options
    I do if its something planned i.e a dance class because if I put it in then i'm less likely to decide I can't be bothered going but other stuff like walking I would put in after. Don't see anything wrong in pre-logging as long as it helps you.

Rosie x