eating healthy-- more like eating expensive!

Options
Hi everyone! I am a 22 year old college student who is going to go without a meal plan for the first time next semester. Each of our meal swipes are worth a certain amount of money, and I found myself grabbing chips, candy, sodas-- basically any not-so-good-for-you food I could find just to fill up the left over money I would have for one swipe. Needless to say, I definitely didn't need all of those extra calories, so I decided to skip the meal plan this time around and try cooking for myself. The only problem is that everything healthy is so expensive! I'm doing alright now because I am living at home for winter break and my parents are doing the food shopping, but I'm nervous that when I get back to school I am going to slip off course because I don't want to shell out the money for healthy food. Anyone have any suggestions about how to keep my belly (and my wallet) full while staying on track?

Replies

• may2490
    may2490 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Its really not all that expensive if you don't shop name brand food wise. A lot of places have deals on produce and veggies. Get store brand in foods, and you'll find the cost goes down. Meat can be expensive, but shop around in your town, or see if your town has a meat market. Sometimes, you can get more meat for a better price there. I know, food shopping can be expensive especially since I just graduated, but just realize that its much better for you and coupons work wonders :)
  • pickenslmc
    pickenslmc Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live, but a food coop might be an option. I joined bountiful baskets, every week you contribute $15 that is used to buy fresh produce. It works out cheaper than buying from the grocery store, and forces me to try new things. Here is the website www.bountifulbaskets.org
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I think it's a myth that eating healthy is more expensive. It is true that eating healthy and cheap is a lot of work. Beans and rice are cheap and so are cabbage, rutabagas, potatoes, onions, winter squash and sweet potatoes.
  • meganepreston
    meganepreston Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    A lot of grocery stores have a clearance section... I know at Target it's on an endcap. It's a random assortment but I've found soups and other interesting things (protein shakes, rice, etc) there for less than a dollar. When I had my meal plan I would always stock up on fruit to get up the amount of money allotted. I would also look into a store like BJ's where you can buy in bulk. This is really helpful for meats and frozen veggies, where you can just stick them in the freezer until you need them. If you have housemates it will help with other purchases too I'm sure. Good luck!
  • raidawn11
    raidawn11 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Shop in the bulk section for rice, quinoa, spices, etc. You will save a ton.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    have your parents buy you a bunch of non-perishables to take back with you. Brown rice, canned black beans, salsa, whole wheat pasta, etc then you only have to supplement with fresh
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    it isn't expensive to eat healthy. That is a total myth. We feed a family of 4 on $100 a week. Stick to the perimeter of the grocery store. Fresh veggies and fruits. Freeze meals. Real rice is super cheap and only takes boiling water and a lidded pot to cook. Left over cold rice you throw in with some stir fry vegetables and you have a healthier alternative to fried rice. Soup is so easy and cheap. Beans are cheap and high in protein. Don't overbuy on veggies or they will go bad. So plan out every meal for the week. Make your own pizza on a slice of bread when the craving hits...

friend me if you want more recipes. Just make sure to tell me what kind of foods you like. Avoid the processed expensive "healthy foods."
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    make healthier choices with the food card in the cafeteria, grab fruits or veggies instead of chips and chips, yogurts and water salads and things like that.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby? You can get some great, healthy food (especially frozen veggies/meat) for a lot less than most chain stores charge. A lot of their stuff is organic too, if that's your thing. I'd be pretty lost without them.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Buy in bulk....beans, brown rice, etc., anything that you can. Cook with a crockpot and freeze leftovers so you aren't wasting anything and you don't get tired of eating the same things over and over. Only buy as much produce as you will eat in a week so it doesn't go to waste.

I have a family of 4 and we eat lots of beans, rice, chicken. Good luck! Also, there are TONS of really delicious recipes online for heatlhy, filling, and inexpensive meals.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Beans, sweet potatoes, cabbage, kasha... basically, eat like a Russian peasant in the late 19th century.
  • kmille36
    Options
    Hey,

As a single gal, and college student/ and full time nurse,I found the same thing, until I realized I was just buying too much and letting it go to waste. while it's tedious planning a week's worth of food in advance helps. Go to the groecery store once a week, and STICK TO THE LIST. I prepare meals on the weekend that I can quickly put together. I like to crockpot soup, once it's cooked I put it in portion sized containerse and freeze em, so when I need some variety I pull it out of the fridge. I typically eat the same thing for a few days, with little variation (mostly a time constraint for me), but it's just how I like to do it.

Hopefully that helps some :D
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I'm a grad student with a very limited income. I usually go to the store once every week and a half to two weeks and spend about $60 a visit. I buy a lot in bulk, I research what's on sale before I go, and I buy a ton of produce. I very rarely buy frozen or prepared meals, and I limit my eating out to about once a week. It's totally possible - think of it as a creative challenge. And feel free to add me if you'd like the support!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you like too. When I was younger I thought you should always have meat in your dinner, now that I've experimented more with cooking I probably only eat meat (chicken, pork or seafood) 5 meals a week (lunches and dinners combined). If you are a big fan of meat this doesn't help you sorry lol, but generally meat tends to be the most expensive part of the meal.
  • meganepreston
    meganepreston Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Oh yes and coupons! I spend $2 for a Sunday paper and use a ton of coupons for food. If you live in the South, Harris Teeter has awesome coupons deals every other month or so. I use this website (slickdeals.net) to find out when they double and triple coupons. When they've done this I have gotten free condiments, snack bars, Kashi meals, cereal, etc. A ton of stuff. Just takes some work to find the deals. If you have time to read up on it online then you can get a lot of free or really cheap food when these deals come along. This has helped me A LOT.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    it does seem expensive at first, but even just today I was thinking about how I get all upset this time of year when cucumbers are 99 cents each. I am like, $1 for one cucumber, that's crazy...then I realize that a year ago I would absolutely have paid 99 cents for one of those (2ish serving) bags of Doritos at the gas station and plowed it all down right there. So looking at something like that really brings it into perspective for two reasons...the cost is the same and I could probably get 2 or 3 snacks out of a cucumber, but the bag of chips...well, I'd probably eat all of that!
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Hmmm... Are you shopping in the stores on campus? Because those do tend to be more expensive. I hear people frequently say eating healthy is more expensive, but I don't think so. The only thing that is more expensive is lean proteins, like hamburger, chicken, and turkey burgers. But, since you are only buying for yourself, if shouldn't be too bad. The cost of a bag of chips is about the same as the cost of a bag of apples or oranges. Since, you are trying to cut costs, don't spend money on organic since those items tend to cost more. And, frozen vegetables can be purchases cheaply, especially if you are buying the store brand. When you eat fruits, vegetables, lean meats, whole grains, and drink the proper amount of water, you will find that it is filling and you won't need to eat as much. Junk food is empty calories and doesn't fill you for long. Good luck!
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am also a college student who's going to school full time and working part time. Here is the way I can afford to eat healthy foods:
    I have a low income card at my local food co-op. Maybe see if there is a store like this near you where you might be able to find this. Also, if they are accessible/suited to you - food stamps! Another trick - buy things in bulk and get comfy eating the same meal for maybe an entire week. For example, I will make a pot of brown rice at the beginning of the week and eat it with some salad greens and tofu for lunch for the rest of the week. Not buying too many things on impulse (a.k.a planning) is a good idea. Next - coupons! Always useful. Lastly, and this might totally gross you out, so take it with a grain of salt - dumpster diving. I have salvaged whole loaves of perfect bread, lemons, avocados, fresh bags of lettuce, fresh sealed apple slices, and more in the dumpsters at a couple of my local grocery stores. If you're up to it, you might at least consider it.

I also agree with someone else's suggestion, don't get too fixated on brand name. Sometimes I go to the discount grocery outlet and find some total scores that fit into my diet (the other day I found nonfat organic greek yogurt, 8 for $1). The point is, you can make it work if you want to! Good luck! :)
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    im different because i have my own home and not in college any longer.. i shop wisely and in bulk food that doesnt go bad fast..for instance i buy boneless skinless chicken breast for 1.29lb but i have to buy 40lbs of it .. i throw it in the freezer . brown rice and dry beans goes a long way for what you pay for it. i do get fresh fruit but found a market that has it less expensive than most grocery stores. if i find sonmething on sale i stock up on it and put it away .. like red bell pepper for instance. i freeze that so it doesnt go bad .i use it in a ton of cooking so when its on sale i stock up on it .. if tuna is on sale for.99 then i buy about ten cans .. just keep your eyes open when you shop and use the weekly sale flyer to see what is on sale that you want.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    So, true about the Doritos and cucumbers! You really have to change your whole way of thinking about food.
    it does seem expensive at first, but even just today I was thinking about how I get all upset this time of year when cucumbers are 99 cents each. I am like, $1 for one cucumber, that's crazy...then I realize that a year ago I would absolutely have paid 99 cents for one of those (2ish serving) bags of Doritos at the gas station and plowed it all down right there. So looking at something like that really brings it into perspective for two reasons...the cost is the same and I could probably get 2 or 3 snacks out of a cucumber, but the bag of chips...well, I'd probably eat all of that!