hcg diet?

Options
I am just curious. Who has thoughts or experience with the hcg diet? Good or bad, let's hear it.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I am just curious. Who has thoughts or experience with the hcg diet? Good or bad, let's hear it.
    Threads on HCG get closed here. It's not considered a viable way to lose weight safely.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • briocktj
    briocktj Posts: 128
    Options
    I have never heard of it...
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ME SOME PREGNANT LADY PEE!!!!! DERICIOUS!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's a bad idea. You won't get enough calories to be healthy and will probably gain a lot of weight back once you stop. Do a search on here for more details.

Just eat healthy and exercise. It's the best way. :smile:
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    omg.gif

Dangerous, a waste of money, a scam.

It's just the VLCD that causes weightloss. The HCG does nothing. The only thing HCG will succesfully help you lose is money.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Please read the articles on these websites before you try HCG. I know some people that put their faith in the HCG diet, and became very ill from malnutrition as a result. It is NOT safe!

The Government is now in the process of getting all that fraudulent stuff off the market, and it's about time!

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm281333.htm

http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/hcg-diet-dangerous-1428

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hcg-diet/AN02091

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-hcg-for-weight-loss

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/weight-loss-cure-dont-want-you-to-know

http://www.dietscam.org/reports/hcg.shtml

http://www.tucsonmedical.com/pages/hcg.php
  • merlinite
    Options
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    bad...stay away
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

I just checked your profile and it shows you've already lost 39 lbs and only have 36 left to go, and I believe it said you're a runner? It sounds like you're already doing really great already, I would recommend to just keep at it and continue losing weight in a steady, healthy way. The HCG 'plan' basically has you using either injections or drops that have not actually been proven to help in weightloss in any way, and then it requires you to eat only 500 calories per day. People think the HCG is making them lose weight, but in reality the extremely low calorie diet is making them lose weight. 500 calories is so low that people on the HCG 'diet' are encouraged to NOT exercise b/c they really don't have the energy to spare. Do you want to have to give up running to do this 'diet'? Some people that do it think it's all wonderful and amazing b/c they drop weight so quickly, but keep in mind when you lose weight TOO fast you are likely to lose a larger amount of muscle, not just the fat you want to lose, but MUSCLE, which can have a negative impact on your metabolism and make it harder to keep the 'weight' off when you are done. 500 calories is about the amount that a person suffering from anorexia might eat. It's very difficult to get in adequate nutrition on such a low amount, and consequently some people experience nasty side effects such as hair loss, mood swings, etc.

Some people do feel that very low calorie diets are an okay way for morbidly obese people to get a jumpstart on their weight, but I would never suggest it for anyone that is already active and is not facing immediate danger to their health due to the huge amount of weight they need to lose. Anybody who's dr. isn't saying 'you need to lose a LOT of weight RIGHT NOW' should really be going about things in the healthy, moderate way that MFP suggests. It is healthier and more sustainable to do things the moderate way.

If you feel like you're stuck in a plateau and looking for a way to break it, and that's what led you to ask about it, there are other, safer, effective ways to break out of plateaus. You can try zig-zagging your calorie intake, or try sticking to your deficit 90% of the time but then doing a 'spike' or high-calorie day (sounds crazy but it totally works IME), changing up your diet in terms of the amount of carbs/fat/protein just to mix things up, or changing your workout routine so that you are challenging your body in new ways, rather than just doing what it has become accustomed to doing.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    ok you guys stop it, I did it and lost all my 112 lbs and am maintaining wonderfully. Most of you are on my friends list too.

I just sent you an email if you need anything I am here for you :flowerforyou:
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    Teagin - you started out with quite a lot of weight to lose - just wanted to point out that I did qualify in my answer that it might be okay for people who have a LOT of weight to lose. I just honestly do not feel it's a good option for people that are not starting out with a lot of weight or people that are already exercising and progressing well on their own. I am happy for your success (and blown away by your before/after pics that you post sometimes) but this lady has already lost 39 lbs on her own and only has 36 left to go, I just don't feel it's necessary for her to start eating 500 calories per day to continue to progress.
  • mrdee555
    mrdee555 Posts: 178
    Options
    That diet sounds crazy but if it works well then, each to their own fair play. And congrats to anyone thats mastered it and maintained
  • mrdee555
    mrdee555 Posts: 178
    Options
    What i want to know is how easy is it to purchase is it not illegal in most countries without prescription?? and in that case it would only be available to men with infertility issues??
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    What i want to know is how easy is it to purchase is it not illegal in most countries without prescription?? and in that case it would only be available to men with infertility issues??

The drops are still on the shelf in my local drugstore. I thought they were supposed to be banned now, so IDK if these particular ones are NOT or if my store is just lazy taking things off the shelf. Pretty sure there's no 'actual' HCG in the stuff you can buy in a store though. You do have to go through an MD to get the injections.
  • lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options
    40lbs down. It saved me. Prepping for my next half marathon. I did my research. It's not for everyone.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Grabbing some popcorn and getting ready for the show.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a good thing for the majority of the planet... I think anything that makes a man have a positive pregnancy test is dangerous... What's wrong with good old fashioned calorie counting and exercise? It may not be glamorous or instant but it works!
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    omg.gif

Dangerous, a waste of money, a scam.

It's just the VLCD that causes weightloss. The HCG does nothing. The only thing HCG will succesfully help you lose is money.

Agree
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    Teagin - you started out with quite a lot of weight to lose - just wanted to point out that I did qualify in my answer that it might be okay for people who have a LOT of weight to lose. I just honestly do not feel it's a good option for people that are not starting out with a lot of weight or people that are already exercising and progressing well on their own. I am happy for your success (and blown away by your before/after pics that you post sometimes) but this lady has already lost 39 lbs on her own and only has 36 left to go, I just don't feel it's necessary for her to start eating 500 calories per day to continue to progress.

Thank you for your kind words :flowerforyou:

My response is more of calm down people it is not evil and will not consume all good in the world :laugh:
    Just do your research and find what works for you.
    Personally I used it as an alternative to weight loss surgery. It is very strict and I never did any cheats at all, this is how I got the results I did. If you have other options, or are not disciplined enough to follow a diet plan like you have a medical condition and what you are doing is the antidote then it's not for you!
    I see so many people doing cheats and eating foods that are not on the list and then not eating enough cals after they are off. This is detrimental to their long-term success and is why it is best to be followed under the supervision of a doctor.

Good luck luv, and again if you have other options I wouldn't recommend it, it is just too hard.
    I think that is why I push myself so hard now to stay healthy. I never want to go through that again :smile:
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    you-must-be-new-here-willy-wonka.jpg
This discussion has been closed.