Advice for a first time weight lifter. Please and Thanks!

2»

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I recommend finding a gym that offers Les Mills classes in your area if you can, and start with a Body Pump class - it is a 55 minute class that uses a barbell with weighted plates on the end - they do a warmup track, a shoulder, chest, squat, lunge, back, bicep and tri-cep track with a final track of abs and cool-down -

If you can't find that, everybody knows a Beachbody coach, and you can now order Les Mills Pump (the kit) through Beachbody - and if you don't happen to know a Beachbody coach, just go to www.beachbody.com and check it out -

Candy

I'm a les mills instructor and while I think that doing the classes is sound advice, it's different from hitting the weight room. I've actually decreased my body pump time in lieu of nrol4w as it's a different kind of lifting. The op wasn't looking for a different program as she already has a really good one selected, she's looking for advice on what to wear.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,805 Member
    Lift heavy ****, and do primarily compound lifts. And if a personal trainer tells you that full squats are "bad for the knees" and suggests you shorten your range-of-motion, fire them on the spot.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    The only advice I can give here is that lucy has really cute work out clothes.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    I wear cross trainers, comfortable yoga or gym pants (ones that have a cinch string are best, so I'm not constantly pulling them up), a sports-bra tank top, and a tee on top (because I'm still a little self conscious about myself in just the tank.) I looked like a total noob the first couple times I was in the weight room lifting, and I"m totally okay with that, because we all have to start somewhere. Google the typical form for the exercises and make sure you bring your notes with you. Other than that, don't forget to smile at that pretty face looking back at you in the mirrors - you're doing this for YOU, and anyone that would even think to look sideways at you in the gym can go EABOD.

Congrats and welcome to NROLFW!
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    tank top, sports bra and capri leggins. easy to move around and if you bend over your t shirt wont ride up.

shoes, well i wear asics

weight lifting? i hire a personal trainer which reminds me, time to give that hooch a shout!
  • Go to a sporting goods store and get some weight-lifting gloves -- they will save your hands! I have enjoyed lifting a LOT more now that I have them ... calluses are no fun. The gloves often are in standard black/gray, but mine have a bit of a pink detail, and you should be able to find something similar if you so desire. Get what you like so that you'll have one more reason to get out there and do it!

I mostly lift at home for the convenience and because I seriously get annoyed with men grunting and showing off in the weight room. Really, you won't be the annoying one in the weight room -- expect the annoying ones to be the regulars. When I'm at home, I often don't even wear shoes (but I'm guessing that's really not recommended -- you should protect your toes! Also, there's that whole no shoes, no service/basic human hygiene thing at a gym). However, you're not going to need any sort of special shoes to lift. Keds would do. I would just make sure they have decent traction so that if you pick up a weight and bit off more than you could chew, you at least have your footing to get yourself back in a safe state.

Congrats on starting lifting! I used to lift a lot in high school while I was on swim team, and I was in the best shape of my life. I didn't feel bulky/too masculine at all, and I loved the definition in my arms. I realize this has probably been the missing piece with my fitness efforts over the years, because I have been a cardio queen with very small gains. I just started P90X again and am ready to see some gains and jumpstart my metabolism! I love, love, love how much progress I see from one workout to the next -- it's a lot more rewarding than the scale has been lately.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Converse All-Stars lo-tops.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Converse All-Stars lo-tops.

warning, I did find that they run a little big, so make sure that they fit well, try some lunges in the middle of the store.