Help, discouraged....no weight gain, but no loss either ?!?!

Options
I'm trying to make sense out of this. I've been doing this for about 3 months now and have loss only 12 pounds, which I am grateful for. I'm trying to loose a total of 45 pounds. So, this is becoming VERY frustrating to me because based on what I'm doing, I think I should have lost more. To the point, I've taken this whole weight loss thing to a science/math level with the following as a basis of my reasoning for what I'm doing:

(1) CALORIES : 3,500 calories = 1 pound : Meaning, if I want to lose 2 pounds per week, I must "bank" 7,000 each week. In other words, if I consume 8,400 calories per week (1,200 per day), then, I should burn or excerise 7,000 per week (1,000 per day).

(2) STARVATION MODE : If you don't eat at least 1,200 per day, your body will go into starvation mode and store fat instead of burn it.

(3) VARIETY, FOOD : It is good idea to try and meet all four food groups using the "My Plate" (new food pyrmaid). see: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/ so, I'm eating a nice mix of fruit, vegetables, dairy, meat, & grains.

(4) VITAMINS/NUTRIENTS/MINERALS : On MFP, I'm mainly tracking Protein & Carbohydrates as well as Calcuim & Fiber (b/c I'm a 43 female). So, I ensure that pretty darn close to the "recommended" intake for a 1,200 diet.

(5) EXCERISE : Muscle weighs more than fat. More than 90 minutes of excerise during a routine is counter-productive (meaning, you will loose muscle tissue).

(6) FOOD DIARY (intregrity of the data) : In order for MFP to be accurate & work for you, you HAVE to log EVERYTHING you eat including a bite of a cookie or a piece of gum. On that note, the information must be accurate. So, I watch to see how many confirmations of data an item has before I add it or I use bar scanner to add items to my MFP diary.

(7) SCALES : Not all scales are accurate. So, I'm using a variety of scales on a weekly basis - the one at the gym, the one in the nurse's office, the one at home, etc.

So, I've armed myself with the above information and have implemented the following plan for myself:

(1) CALORIES / VARIETY / VITAMINS / FOOD DIARY: I fill out my diary the day before with what I plan on eating so I can adjust the foods to accomodate the nutrients/minerals that I need, ensure I meet the MyPlate requirements, and still stay right at or slightly above 1,200 calories per day. I also do not eat fast food, drink sodas, or eat out of vending machines. We eat fresh fruits/vegetables and alot of "home-cooked" meals. I mainly drink plain water (8+ cups per day), black coffee, and sometimes decaf-tea w/ a 1/2 tsp of splenda.

(2) EXCERISE : I do not have a very sedentary lifstyle. I'm on my feet most of the time when I'm at home (meaning, I watch little to no TV). We do alot of home-cooking and play with our boys as well as do housework. I am also on my feet a good bit of the day as well at work. WORKOUT #1, I've been going to the gym 3 times per day for several months. I have a strength training routine (75 minutes) that includes barbell, pullovers, chin-ups, sit-ups, etc. Afterwards, I hit the Racquetball court for about 45 minutes and play. WORKOUT #2, Over the past week, I added going to the gym 3 more times to use the elpitical/EFX machine for 45 minutes.

(3) SLEEP : I go to bed about 9:30 pm and get up about 5:00 am after hitting the snooze for about 30 minutes.

I am 5'7", 43 years old female, currently weigh 173 (which is "overweight" by "the powers-to-be"). I started out at 185 (which is "obese" by the "power-to-be") and am trying to reach 145 (which is in the middle of the "healthy" range via "the-powers-to-be"). I am also on a thyroid medication, which is monitored by a doc for "hypothyroidism" see: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000684/

On average, each night when I lay my head down to sleep, via my MFP diary I have anywhere from 1,200 to 1,600 to the "good". Meaning, I am well exceeding the 1,000 per day needed to lose 2 pounds per week. So, what the heck??

Can anyone PLEASE tell me what I'm doing wrong?? Any suggestions on what to change or do differently?? Any help would be greatly appreciated because I'm soOooOOOOooo frustrated!?!?!?

Replies

• stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If I'm understanding your post correctly, you're eating 1200ish calories a day before all that exercise. If that's the case, you're not eating nearly enough. I think people jump on the "starvation mode" bandwagon way too quickly on this site but if you eat 1200 calories a day and exercise off say 1000 calories a day then you're really only eating 200 calories a day and if you've been doing that for months then you're jacking up your metabolism. 1200 net calories a day is the accepted minimum. Ease up on the exercise and eat some more for a couple of weeks and see what happens. It sounds like you're doing too much.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories!!! You should fall below 1200 after you calculate in your exercise calories. If you don't exercise then only eat 1200. If you do lose doing it the way you've been doing it, you are losing more than fat and that's not healthy at all!!. Your poor heart is taking a beating, not to mention all of the other organs. Eat girl, but make it count.

And muscle doesn't weight more than fat. A pound of fat = a pound of muscle HOWEVER, a pound of muscle is much smaller than a pound of fat in mass.

Also, pick one scale. Weigh once a week at the same time with the same clothes (if any) - you're gonna make yourself crazy weighing all over the place.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If I'm understanding your post correctly, you're eating 1200ish calories a day before all that exercise. If that's the case, you're not eating nearly enough. I think people jump on the "starvation mode" bandwagon way too quickly on this site but if you eat 1200 calories a day and exercise off say 1000 calories a day then you're really only eating 200 calories a day and if you've been doing that for months then you're jacking up your metabolism. 1200 net calories a day is the accepted minimum. Ease up on the exercise and eat some more for a couple of weeks and see what happens. It sounds like you're doing too much.

Agree with this post!

MFP already figures in a calorie deficit of a 1000 a day.... so anything that you exercise on top of that is extra calories burned and should be eaten back.

Also, you only have 28 pounds to lose.. so two pounds a week is kind of an aggressive goal. I'd try upping to a pound a week lose, eat exercise calories back and see what happens.
  • JoanneLynn
    JoanneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I lose an average of 3 pounds per month. Try looking out your sodium intake.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    You stated that "More than 90 minutes of exercise during a routine is counter-productive", that can't be right, while training for the marathon I routinely run over 90 minutes. Can anyone clarify this statement?
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories!!! You should fall below 1200 after you calculate in your exercise calories. If you don't exercise then only eat 1200. If you do lose doing it the way you've been doing it, you are losing more than fat and that's not healthy at all!!. Your poor heart is taking a beating, not to mention all of the other organs. Eat girl, but make it count.

And muscle doesn't weight more than fat. A pound of fat = a pound of muscle HOWEVER, a pound of muscle is much smaller than a pound of fat in mass.

Also, pick one scale. Weigh once a week at the same time with the same clothes (if any) - you're gonna make yourself crazy weighing all over the place.

^ this

1200 is the min for a small sedentry woman and as you said you are NOT sedentry..
    Good luck on your journey :smile:
  • ChickaDee2012
    ChickaDee2012 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Here's what I have learned:
    1) Your metabolism gets slower as you get older and it also takes longer to adjust that metabolism level That said, when you started Day 1, your body was likely adjusting to get to a new metabolism level. This process is a longer process for a 40-something year old than for a 20 something year old. So you have to keep that in mind. When I was 43, I was miffed at why I wasn't losing weight like I did when I was 40... I worked with an elite athlete train me for weight loss, and that's what he told me because I had the same complaint: that it will take a longer time for my body to adjust to a new metabolism level and I have to allow for that.... (just like most things when we get older, it's just not as easy)
    2) Agree with what the previous posts. Have been told that as you increase the amount and intensity, you'll actually need MORE calories.
    3) Intensity is just as important and if not more, than the amount of time you exercise. Only you know the level of intensity you put into your exercise. 30 minutes of high intensity exercise is much more effective than 30 minutes of a comfortable pace. You sound like you are doing quite a bit of activity...
    4) My friend has had a thyroid problem which had affected her ability to lose weight...in fact, she gained. I'm not saying this is a factor, but something to consider.

All that said.... I think 12 pounds in 3 months is great! Don't be discouraged. Kudos to you for doing all that you're doing... Make a few adjustments, and just only look forward from here! You will get there!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Agree with this post!

MFP already figures in a calorie deficit of a 1000 a day.... so anything that you exercise on top of that is extra calories burned and should be eaten back.

Also, you only have 28 pounds to lose.. so two pounds a week is kind of an aggressive goal. I'd try upping to a pound a week lose, eat exercise calories back and see what happens.

^This

Here is a guide for setting appropriate weekly weight loss goals, and with each of these you should still be eating your exercise calories, otherwise your deficit is too large for the amount you have to lose and could result in the lose of a large % of lean muscle, not the fat you are looking at losing:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi, I hope this helps!

Literally had a quick glance as I'm on my lunch break!

For weighing yourself, I'd advise you to do it every fortnight at the most however, so many people do it weekly and really it will depend on how important it really is to you to weigh yourself and how often.

Use the same set of scales, if you have your own, then use them as consistency is key! I would imagine the scales at the gym will get abused with so many different people jumping on and off them and, you will not know how often they will get calibrated!

You are not eating enough IF you are consuming 1200 cals and not eating back your exercise cals. Your 1200 will be calculated including a deficit. For me, to maintain my weight, I need 2030 cals a day. Last week I chose to set mine to maintenance and whatever I burnt off I do not eat back which was something new for me to try as, I've always ate back my calories. I work out 5/6 days a week so 1/2 days a week I'm not doing anything but this is working for me. I try to have a good 150g of veg in with my main meal and eat 1-2 pieces of fruit a day. If I can get veg in with my lunch then great too, as I often have a salad. You have to find what works for you but do it in a healthy way!

For the exercise you do, as a rule of thumb aim to get 250ml into you per 15mins of exercise! I know for someone who is 200lbs or heavier, the daily suggestion of 8 glasses of water does not apply. You're really looking at 10 glasses as a minimum, then more if you work out. Hydration is key!

It's great you do home cooked meals, so many people don't and it's a good learning curve, trying new foods and dishes too. You know exactly what has gone into them!

You seem to be getting enough sleep, nothing less than 7hrs really.

Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. 1lb of fat is the same as 1lb of muscle. Muscle is denser. The more you work out and eat those calories back (if you're already in a deficit) the better your body (the engine) will work for you at burning additional calories!

I can understand that frustration can get you down, especially when you feel as though you're trying so hard sooo what I may recommend to you is, perhaps give yourself a week off, go into maintenace mode and enjoy some extra food. Then look at how much you realistically want to achieve losing each week and set your goal to that!

I hope I've helped!

Sarah
  • swilkie1961
    swilkie1961 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Ditto what gotsoul2 said... You are doing great! 12lb in 3 month is great way to lose. Just keep going forward!
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    EAT! I remember the first time someone told me to eat more and exercise less, I thought they were nuts. That was how I got into this situation. But I've eventually come to understand that my body needs food and if it isn't getting it, its going to hold on to what it has. So don't go crazy, start by trying to eat half your exercise calories and see how it goes. Good luck!