Remaining cals or net cals - which # should I be paying atte

Options
At the end of the day when my remaining cals # is higher, my projected weight in 5 weeks is lower (ie 147).

However when I try to eat back workout cals so my net cals can be at (or close to )1200 (like so many have recommended) then my projected weight in 5 weeks is higher (ie 152) - what in the world?! :noway: Just based on that alone, I know which # I'm GOING to be following but can anyone explain what's going on with that? Thanks!

Replies

• miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to be following your net calories because that is how much your body is really taking in after subtracting your exercise calories. However, I don't follow that. I try to work out everyday and I eat semi-healthy so some days I eat more and others not so much and it has worked out for me fine.

I think everyone is different as are their body types so I don't think there really is a way you have to go (ie: remaining vs net). I'm sure this post doesn't help much, but that's just my two cents, haha.
  • dos_treinta_y_cinco
    Options
    the whole numbers is crazy. However slow and steady wins the race. One member said she knew it would be a long time to lose the weight (6 mos in her case) but time was going to pass anyway. She now looks wonderful. I would say to try to not starve and enjoy the transformation
  • thump418
    thump418 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I know some friends here that will eat back the calories they burn through exercise. The program is subtracting the calories needed to lose the weight that you are specifying...I know with me based on my lifestyle if I set it up to lose 1/2 pound a week it deducts 500 calories. With that being said if I burn 800 calories.......even just trying to write about it is confusing.....LOL Artie says it best by stating "slow and steady wins the race". :smile:
  • Just_Bethy
    Options
    Sometimes I eat them back..some times I don't ... Different things work for different people..as long as you don't go over that days total allowance its all good..and if you do go over once in a great while..its still all good....This is Life...not every day will be the same..I have had days the dreaded starvation warning pops up when I have been too busy or sick..there are days I have gone over so much I deleted the whole lot out and didn't even log! LOL..For ME ? I stay around 1500 give or take no matter how much I worked out...Thats the easiest way for me to do it and it works for me...you will find what works for you x
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't pay any attention to workout calories. I figured out my BMR and how many calories I should be eating based on what I do during the day (how much I'm on my feet, basically). I don't eat more than that even if I do a workout.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I think it's more of a trial and error thing...because everybody's body is different and will react to diet and exercise in a unique way. As long as you don't go under 1200 cals /day (doing so would actually slow your metabolism in most cases) you should lose weight. But like I said, try out different things and go with the method that showed you the most success.

I know for me, I need to eat my calories back after I work out if I'm below 1200...but again, that's what works for me.