Stand-up Paddleboarding

Have you done it? If yes, how did you like it?

Replies

• MalibuBeth
    MalibuBeth Posts: 87 Member
    anyone? anyone?
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    I am dying to try it and will this spring!!! It looks so fun.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Have done it twice. Love it. Easier than it looks :) I want a board so bad! It's kind of a spendy hobby.
  • MalibuBeth
    Me toooo! I am going to take a 2-hour tour on one, and was wondering how it is. If i like it, maybe i'll even buy one because it really looks like so much fun!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    I'll know next month -- we're renting paddleboards for the week we're in Key West next month. I'm super excited to try it -- looks like so much fun!!!
  • AliKK
    AliKK Posts: 11
    Did you fall off?? I'm wondering if you can do it on a calm river, or if you'd want a deeper lake!
  • MalibuBeth
    I live in miami, and can walk to the beach. I always see people on them on a calm day, and I have always wanted to try. I am afraid I'll look like an idiot, but I'm hoping it's not that hard.
  • It's great exercise and it's not as hard as it looks. The paddling is a great arm work out and the balancing is a great core work out. I take my board out to the sound and paddle for an hour or 2 depending on how much time I have. My husband just bought a board this Christmas so I can't wait for the two of us to go out together. I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask on here or send me a message.
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    I tried it in Key West in September and absolutely loved it! Since I have good balance, I was able to step on the board and go, but my husband kept falling off the board. It's definitely worth a try and I can't wait to go paddle boarding again!
  • finding_my_way
    finding_my_way Posts: 174 Member
    I am addicted to SUP. I have two boards, one is 10' and the other is 12'. I don't like paddling at the beach unless it's a super calm day, but I love the local lakes and rivers. It's an amazing core workout and super relaxing/therapeutic.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    I love SUPing. One of my good friends has a board and we go all the time in the summer. They are a bit pricey ($1000+ for the board and $200+ for the paddle), but I think it is a good investment if you are planning on going a lot. Right now a lot of places aren't renting for insurance reasons, so instead they do tours and they take you out for an hour or so. We usually hit up the ocean but I'm dying to take it out on some lakes.
  • I actually own a stand up paddleboard specialty shop in Fort Lauderdale - SUPing is excellent exercise, easy to get into, and something you and the whole family can do almost every day of the year down here in South Florida. The events and races are fantastic too - we just finished the Miami Orange Bowl Paddle Championship, and there were over 200 paddlers this year. Such a fun event.

As for the question about rivers - you sure can SUP in a river as long as it has enough depth for the draft of the fin. A consideration, though: rivers tend to be rocky, which is rough on traditional boards. We recommend inflatables, soft, or roto-molded boards for river use.

(MalibuBeth) Regarding falling: it's easier than you think...but it really helps to do a lesson with a quality instructor. And here's what I mean by a "quality instructor," because there are a lot who have no right to instruct:
    - They spend time with you on land teaching you about the board, paddle, and safe operations
    - They instruct you on the proper way to mount the board, hold the paddle, and stroke with confidence
    - They accompany you on the water, offering coaching
    - They're insured and authorized to operate where they are planning to give you the lesson

Be wary of Living Social/Groupon/etc - search a company before you buy the coupon and check their feedback on other sites.

Josh
    Precision Paddleboards
  • Join our community at http://www.paddleboarding.com

members receive discounts on paddle board rentals in Fort Lauderdale.

cheers,

Mario
  • keldawm
    keldawm Posts: 35 Member
    Did it a couple of times last summer and loved it! Can't wait to do it this summer.