clean eating

Options
2»

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    The original question here was, 'can I see such quick results from eating clean." Not "can someone tell her how she is wrong in her use of the word." All that matters is that she is seeing progress due to her healthy changes.

True. But I'm still wondering which "toxins" she is cleansing.

These are the imaginary toxins that one needs to 'cleanse' from the body supposedly. Hey, if she thinks she's cleansing toxins, where's the harm in that even if it has no scientific basis, people believe in all sorts of strange things!

Interesting....I wonder why Kraft makes 2 different versions of their prepackaged foods? One for the USA and one with out all the banned crap that they put in our food for the UK. If those chemicals and other crap they put in their food is okay, I wonder why so many countries HAVE BANNED THEM?

I also find it interesting that my chronic pain levels have gone down dramatically since I stopped eating processed foods (I used to eat a lot of prepackaged vegetarian foods and lean cuisines and crap like that). That is all the scientific proof I need. Processed food makes me hurt....period.

And yes, by not eating all that sodium in processed foods, you will drop water weight. Is it fat? I have no idea. I switched over to clean eating last fall and I am very happy with the results that I see on my 44 year old body. Its going to get tough later, especially when you want to grab something quick and easy or do not feel like all the prepping of the food, but it is totally going to be worth it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I still have no idea what people mean when they blab on about 'clean eating'. Especially since the most vocal proponents seem to love chugging protein shakes, multivitamin supplements etc. It just seems like a self-righteous way of trying to avoid cakes, sweets, biscuits and fast food.

I don't know why it would seem "self-righteous" but yes, it would mean avoiding overly processed foods like most store bought cakes, sweets, biscuits and fast food.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    Everyone is different. The body is not an exactly science. You may be seeing bloat go away. That's awesome!
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    I still have no idea what people mean when they blab on about 'clean eating'. Especially since the most vocal proponents seem to love chugging protein shakes, multivitamin supplements etc. It just seems like a self-righteous way of trying to avoid cakes, sweets, biscuits and fast food.

I don't know why it would seem "self-righteous" but yes, it would mean avoiding overly processed foods like most store bought cakes, sweets, biscuits and fast food.

Exactly. I shop the perimeter of the grocery store. Nothing boxed, frozen, or canned. Everything is homemade. Anything I buy has 5 ingredients or less. Clean eating is the best way to go. and who says protein shakes can't be clean? I buy the ones with all natural ingredients.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely eat clean, if such a thing existed.

Quote from Layne Norton

"I find the whole idea of ‘clean eating’ pretentious. What exactly defines a food as ‘clean’? Do you spray windex on it? Rub soap on it? I find it a bit preposterous. I’ve been in debates with people promoting ‘clean eating’ but when I ask for a specific scientific definition of what makes a food ‘clean’ they are silent. I think the restrictive diets where you can only eat a half dozen or so foods are not only unhealthy because they don’t give you a diverse intake of nutrients but I believe they promote eating disorders and binging. I see people who ‘eat clean’ during most of the week and then binge on cheesecake, ice cream, and donuts because it’s a ‘cheat’ meal. Oh yea… that is way healthier than eating ‘unclean’ foods in moderation to a hit a specific macronutrient target. *rolleyes* Now that said, I do believe that many IIFYMers (I find it funny that something myself and others been promoting for years gets an acronym attached to it and is now this ‘new’ way of eating LOL) actually go too far in one direction. Most people who origionally promoted targeting macronutrient intakes instead of obsessing about food choices actually eat ‘clean’ foods 95% of the time, we just don’t agonize over having a homemade burrito with a low carb wrap or some reduced calorie ice cream. We see the value of a controlled intake in order to prevent uncontrolled binging. But I do see IIFYM followers who eat as much sugary, high fat foods as they can and wear it like a badge of honor. That is not the point. If you are following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition you will be eating a lot of ‘clean’ foods by default because you will not be able to hit a protein, carb, fat, and fiber intake conducive to body composition improvement if all you eat are high sugar/fat foods. The point is it’s ok to have these foods in small amounts if you are still hitting your goal macronutrient intake."

http://www.shreddedknowledge.com/home/a-talk-with-the-doc-dr-layne-norton/
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    These are the imaginary toxins that one needs to 'cleanse' from the body supposedly. Hey, if she thinks she's cleansing toxins, where's the harm in that even if it has no scientific basis, people believe in all sorts of strange things!

Interesting....I wonder why Kraft makes 2 different versions of their prepackaged foods? One for the USA and one with out all the banned crap that they put in our food for the UK. If those chemicals and other crap they put in their food is okay, I wonder why so many countries HAVE BANNED THEM?

I also find it interesting that my chronic pain levels have gone down dramatically since I stopped eating processed foods (I used to eat a lot of prepackaged vegetarian foods and lean cuisines and crap like that). That is all the scientific proof I need. Processed food makes me hurt....period.

And yes, by not eating all that sodium in processed foods, you will drop water weight. Is it fat? I have no idea. I switched over to clean eating last fall and I am very happy with the results that I see on my 44 year old body. Its going to get tough later, especially when you want to grab something quick and easy or do not feel like all the prepping of the food, but it is totally going to be worth it.

Nobody is arguing that some processed foods are not bad for you, nor that different countries have differing regulations on food additives. However this has nothing to do with 'clean' eating, or 'cleansing toxins'. I am an advocate of eating healthily, even if I don't always follow my own advice but eating healthily and clean eating are two different things. As for 'cleansing toxins' I think you'lll find your body does a very good job of that all by itself and what the body can't get rid of, no amount of clean eating will shift.

And although it's nice to hear that your pain levels are down, I'm afraid that is only anecdotal evidence, not scientifice proof and doesn't take any account of the well known placebo effect (which incidentally even works on animals).
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Why make snarky comments to someone who is eating healthy? Let’s not confuse being a habitual contrarian with being instructive or helpful.

It is great that you are eating well, it isn’t easy!
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The original question here was, 'can I see such quick results from eating clean." Not "can someone tell her how she is wrong in her use of the word." All that matters is that she is seeing progress due to her healthy changes.

True. But I'm still wondering which "toxins" she is cleansing.

Among the many strange and unsupportable things people believe is that governments are both wise and benevolent. At least governments in Europe, you know, because they ban a lot of evil stuff.

"It must be bad(good) for me. The government says so. If only I knew which wise and benevolent government to believe!"
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Among the many strange and unsupportable things people believe is that governments are both wise and benevolent. At least governments in Europe, you know, because they ban a lot of evil stuff.

"It must be bad(good) for me. The government says so. If only I knew which wise and benevolent government to believe!"

Absolutely right! And goes along with "If you haven't done anything wrong you have nothing to fear" when the government wants to clamp down even further on your liberty. I would not trust a politician further than I could throw him/her. In my opinion the wish to become a politician should preclude one from becoming one!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Exactly. I shop the perimeter of the grocery store. Nothing boxed, frozen, or canned. Everything is homemade. Anything I buy has 5 ingredients or less. Clean eating is the best way to go. and who says protein shakes can't be clean? I buy the ones with all natural ingredients.

Lots of boxed, frozen or canned items have all natural ingredients. Protein powder is just one of them, and not sold on the perimeter of any store I've been in.

I shop all the aisles and 50+ years of healthy checkups say I eat a healthy diet.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

HFCS contains all natural ingredients, so using your logic it must be clean
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Why make snarky comments to someone who is eating healthy? Let’s not confuse being a habitual contrarian with being instructive or helpful.

Hi, welcome to MFP. :flowerforyou:
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as clean eating.

Also your results are from reduced caloric intake, not clean eating.

You can get fat on clean foods too.

In for moral superiority because of "clean eating" crowd.
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I dont know to be honest whether I eat clean or not,what is not clean??? I cook everything from scratch all my groceries are the raw materials I need to cook with flour,butter,milk,buttermilk ect,I make most of my own bread dont use any packaged food aside from tinned tomato's ,while Im waiting for my own crop to ripen,grow my own fruit and veg,I dont know why you would call this clean this is the way we have always lived and if you eat too much you will gain weight,I feel myself and I do not claim any sort of expertise that the biggest culprit in weight gain is the soft drinks industry,I keep small bottles of water in the fridge,my kids take these to drink if they are thirsty also in the school lunch boxes,I gained weight not because my diet is bad but I just eat too much so keeping an eye on that is helping!you are what you eat is very true!!!!
  • tjthegreatone
    Options

HFCS contains all natural ingredients, so using your logic it must be clean
    #
    Quite. And the rules are STILL seeming arbitrary. 'Five or fewer ingredients', 'natural ingredients', 'avoid middle aisles', 'organic only'. Still missing a consensus. My comment about self-righteousness was just that - there is far too much snobbery and moral superiority - I'm yet to see any information on why boxed, canned or frozen foods are so evil. Presumably those protein shakes and multivitamins come in some kind of packaging.