Biggest Loser Weigh-Ins: Does Anybody Else Want To Kick Thei

Options
bjshields
bjshields Posts: 677 Member
Okay, maybe this is just me, BUT -- I am soooooo tired of hearing BL contestants whine about not losing more than 4-5 pounds A WEEK on the show!! The majority of us in the real world have a rough time losing 1-2 lbs. I wish Alison would start saying, "Thanks, Bill -- step down and stop whining!" Anybody else feel this way?:smile:

Replies

• KMSForLife
    Options
    I watched the weigh-ins last night. It is the first time I've watched the show since it originally aired. I was stunned at the disappointment by both the contestants and more so by the trainers. The trainers, especially Bob (?), was noticeably upset that folks weren't losing more than they did. I thought that was nuts and now I think the show is a joke. It was disappointing because those people should've been so proud of themselves but instead - they get unrealistic goals and feel like garbage when they don't meet them.
  • opher
    opher Posts: 19
    Options
    Well, you're right of course, but... these people are morbidly obese and for the first time in their life (or at least in many years) are working out 6+ hours a day and strictly controlling their diet. Their basal metabolic rate is probably around 3500 calories a day, and when they work out, their heavier weight means they burn more calories per hour. If you burn 600 calories an hour on a stair climber, they'd burn 1200, and with a trainer on top of them, probably 1500. This means they end up burning about 6000 calories working out each day, so they probably have a net calorie deficit of about 4000 each day. This leads to an expectation of losing about 7 lbs a week. With that expectation, if they lose 2 or 3 lbs in a week, that's disappointing.
  • jayjaybee1015
    Options
    94 pounds was an impossible wager. The show could probably be an hour long if they'd edit out the phony scale fluctuations and stock-footage shocked faces and just show the weight.

14149439.png
  • luvinlaurakate
    luvinlaurakate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It frustrates me as well, but I try to look at it this way... when they go on this show, losing weight becomes their JOB. All they do is work out, and try to eat well. That is all their days consist of. Obviously you can't always control what your body does, and we see this all the time on the show where people plateau, but like Opher said, the entire regimen is set up for them to lose those big numbers, so when they don't, it is a big deal. For us normal people doing the day-to-day and not able to devote our lives strictly to exercise and losing eight, it takes alot longer, and we don't have the same drastic results as they do. I think that the common mis-conception that people have with the show is that they expect to be able to get the same results, and that just isn't possible.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my biggest issue with this show (and ironically, I LOVE the show!) is that the general public can be lulled into a false sense of how much weight they should lose, when it's NOT your job to lose weight. Thanks for letting me vent!:smile:
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I agree with opher. They are doing this all day, everyday. Their whole life revolves around this while they are at the camp. Just as if
    I expect to lose two pounds a week and I do not lose any, I am going to be upset.
  • liseyicious
    Options
    I love you all for your feeback! shows like this make me pissed, when I have .5 weight loss weeks and gains.
  • 276NoMore
    276NoMore Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    perhaps if one looks at the % of weight loss (pounds lost DIVIDED BY original weight) then true comparisons between the contestants loss and those of us who are not contestants could be made - just saying :)
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!! Like it was said above, I'm more mad at the trainers! I was Bob's biggest fan but last night...OMG he acted like a first class Diva, ranting about how thse were his old workouts.... And then visably being disappointed at weigh-in...maybe it was all editing for TV but I really thought he was better than that. Usually he is all about how hard week 2 is and you lost, look at you! It's great. But last night was awful....granted I haven't watched the show much since the beginning but it sure seems to have taken a turn for the worst!
  • NettyB62
    Options
    Well, you're right of course, but... these people are morbidly obese and for the first time in their life (or at least in many years) are working out 6+ hours a day and strictly controlling their diet. Their basal metabolic rate is probably around 3500 calories a day, and when they work out, their heavier weight means they burn more calories per hour. If you burn 600 calories an hour on a stair climber, they'd burn 1200, and with a trainer on top of them, probably 1500. This means they end up burning about 6000 calories working out each day, so they probably have a net calorie deficit of about 4000 each day. This leads to an expectation of losing about 7 lbs a week. With that expectation, if they lose 2 or 3 lbs in a week, that's disappointing.

well said...:smile:
  • NettyB62
    Options
    So don't watch it.
    I love the show...I cannot imagine being that overweight and in such poor health and working out for 6 hours a day. I like to watch the show to remind myself to quit whining when I have to go to the gym for 2 hours.
  • stacyjbaker1010
    stacyjbaker1010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

well said...:smile:

Agreed!
  • raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has come out and said that the female contestants are required to burn 5000 calories a day before they can go to bed, and the men have to burn 7000 calories a day. A DAY!!! The women eat anywhere between 1200-1400 calories a day ... some have been brought down as low as 800 calories a day being medically supervised. The men eat anywhere between 1600-1800 calories a day.

When you look at those numbers ... you can see why these people expect such huge numbers! Their bodies must be starving!!!
  • ffwinger63
    Options
    It is frustrating to see but makes sense in that they have sooo much to lose and it is their job, workouts and eating right, no other responsibilities such as work, etc. Also, having the seperation from social committments, parties, etc make it much easier for them to stick to it........I agree this may be the first time in their lives when they are working out (and very intense as well) and eating right so I think in the beginning they lose weight fast. Frustrating but they still motivate me and I watch that show all the time....
  • Fubar_Bill
    Fubar_Bill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    The results on show are definitely unrealistic for the rest of us with real lives (be it jobs or children to take care of), but I still find it inspiring and a good reminder of what is possible with time and effort.
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I can't watch that show, those people are so out of shape and are forced to do too much too fast. I fear for their lives all for the sake of ratings..it is all so unreal.
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I thought last night everyone was particularly whiny in general...it was annoying. I like the show, but I always record it and fast-forward through the fluff. I do think it is irresponsible to air something like that without being clear about just how the people are going about doing it (meaning more information about their diet and exactly how much they are exercising).
  • Rhondavet
    Options
    I personally love the show...it does help motivate me...that being said I dvr the show so I can fast forward through some of the parts that 'bug' me. I did not like Mike's whinning last night and fast forwarded through much of that argument! :wink:
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    WELL SAID!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I believe the weight loss expectations are unrealistic. I watch it for the motivation. If that 400 lb guy can run and work out hard..then dammit...I can move my butt for an hour at the gym!