Can I lose weight running 4 times a week?

Options
Hi. I am not new to MFP or to exercise or diet but over the past few weeks/months my weight has stabilised so I decided to drop all weight training and have fallen in love with running. I do a zumba class once a week but the rest of my exercise is running 4 times a week on average 15 miles spread out over those days. I run for 2.5/3 hours a week. I am watching my diet and have set my calories to 1700 a day. I sometimes go over by a couple of hundred at the weekend but in general am between 1200-1800 calories throughout the week a day. My diet is good and I am cutting down my carbs and raising my protein intake.
My question is can I kick start my weight loss by dropping the weight training and just cardio exercising? I am losing body size but just want to kick start those scales. I have 14lbs to lose and I know its the hardest bit to lose but seriously I want it off.
I am happy to say my weight didn't change over the festive period so I do have my diet sorted.

Do I have to weight train? Can I just run my fat off?

Thanks guys :-)

Replies

• 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Do the things that you enjoy most, if that's running, then run, in the end, it's all good.
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I do pretty much running only, as that is the only excercise I like and I have lost over 30 pounds.
  • drivermarshy
    Options
    maybe reduce the time u spend weight training. otherwise ur body may start to canabolise that lean muscle u have gained. ur lose the last few pounds but not necesseraly see a change if u totally stop the weights
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It depends, people are different.

My experience was that it was much easier for me to maintain a low body fat % while doing only weight training, than it is while doing only running. I have to pay more strict attention to my diet when i only run. but I love running & that's my chosen acivity, so I just pay attention to my eating closer. I can do it both ways, it's just that for me, lifting weights gave me a bigger cushion.