Confused weight gain?

Options
So I started counting calories a little over 2 weeks ago and have lost a total of 7lbs! I have been a member of MFP a little over a week. I am 5"11 and as of this morning 286 lbs. I allow myself 2000 calories a day but usually don't go over 1900. My Dr. recommended 2500 calories but I saw no results so i took myself down to 2000.

I haven't cheated at all, last night my calorie intake for the day 1943. I weighed myself this morning and I actually gained 1 pound! I am so confused I weigh myself more than I should (every otherday) I know I should only weigh in once a week but it has been exciting seeing it come off 1/2 a pound at a time, I find it really motivating.

Has anyone else seen unexpected weight gain? I am talking about truly shocking weight gain not like well I didn't do as good as I should have type weight gain. I thought I did everything right. I did have 250 calories worth of candy because my calories for the day was so low but that should matter because I was still under my calories, I don't even care for candy I just didn't want my calories to be to low I was told that was bad too.

So confused right now! Any advice or any one out there experiencing the same thing?????

Replies

• m0ns00n
    m0ns00n Posts: 11
    Options
    1 pound is virtually nothing, and you shouldn't worry about it.

Your weight can fluctuate quite a lot over the course of a day, due to a number of various factors. Try and weigh yourself just once a week - that way you won't notice these daily fluctuations.
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    1lb weight gain can be as simple as 1lb of water soluble fibre (veggies etc) still in your digestive tract......awaiting elimination if you get my drift..thats why daily weighing can be counter productive & sometimes depressing.
  • Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    Don't worry about a pound. Don't even worry about two or even three. I've "gained" as much as 5 pounds in a day and then have it vanish by the next morning. This is actually the reason they say not to weigh so often. You'll panic. It could be wet hair from a shower, heavy clothing for the cold, lots of water intake, having just eaten, even having not used the potty in a bit. If you're following as you're supposed to, just take a deep breathe. You're doing great!
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thanks all that makes me feel a little better. I will try to weigh myself less and I am still sticking to it.
  • JessicaOke
    Options
    This is a good example of why you should not weigh yourself everyday. There are too many variables to explain the one pound weight gain. It could be water retention, especially if you weighed yourself before you used the washroom first thing in the morning. I've been fighting with my weight ever since high school and I've done the same thing as you. It does get really depressing when you see that number go up again but don't get discouraged. Try to fight the urge to weigh yourself everyday and just start focusing on how good you're feeling instead.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others about it likely being water weight. If you're not tracking your sodium, I'd suggest adding that to the food diary as high sodium meals can really mess up a weigh in. Also, make sure you're drinking plenty of water, especially if you're exercising.

I"m not sure what your nutrition goals are but google healthy calorie dense foods for other options to fill up your calorie goal for the day. No need to use candy, especially if you're not really a fan.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    thanks for the encouragement! I did my weekly weight in and my weight is back on track. Down a total of 8 lbs since I started!
  • jarae876
    jarae876 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    thanks for the encouragement! I did my weekly weight in and my weight is back on track. Down a total of 8 lbs since I started!

Wonderful News!!!! Congrats
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options

Woo hoo!