Can you lose some weight by walking?

Options
Hi,
I'm 27 and had a child almost 10 months ago. I'm also asthmatic and really not in shape. I'm struggling to lose the baby weight as I am very sedentary. I was wondering if I could lose some weight just by walking everyday or buy doing workout dvd like "Walk away the pounds with Leslie Sansone". At least for a little while until my body and respiratory system ajust to a little activity everyday?

Replies

• nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Omg, yes. You can totally walk. My friend lost a crapload of weight by starting with walking. Then she gradually moved onto running. You can do it!
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Yay! It's good news then =)
    I like to run one day too!
  • keywestsunset
    keywestsunset Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Of course you can!! walking burns calories, and the brisker your pace, the more calories you burn. Go on to track exercise and type in walking. It will bring up miles per hour, and you can see how many calories you can burn. Do you have exercise induced asthma? Do you have an inhaler or take anything?
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    As long as you have a balanced diet and a mild calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Diet for weight, excersize for fitness.
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I believe you can - or at least you can start to gain some fitness. I am in similar shoes (sedentary - my kids are 16 and older- LOL-so it's way older than post-baby fat!). I have started walking every day and I DO feel the difference even after only a week, so it has to be doing something! I didn't want to push too hard and injure myself, so walking was the way to go - hope that helps!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    There are benefits to any movement.
  • gwensmamma06
    Options
    I love Leslie Sansone's dvd's! It helped me lose 45 lbs, which I gained back when I stopped eating right and doing the dvd's. I am starting to get back to them recently. I forgot how good of a workout it really is, the 2 mile one has made me sore! Good luck!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you can! You just need to walk for longer to burn the same cals as running would use.

Get yourself some good music or some audio books and go for it :)
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 70lbs just walking.... so yeah I think so... Then again I was 370
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    As long as you have a balanced diet and a mild calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Diet for weight, excersize for fitness.

this is completely true.

no one says you need to go out running for an hour. build up your strength. my first run in a long time was 2 miles done in about 30 minutes. and the only way i was able to do that was because i had been riding my bike a lot. that helped build cardio strength and endurance.
  • Trovan
    Trovan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Weight-loss is more about what (and how much) you eat than exercise. The key is to consume less calories than you burn. Walking is a great way to burn more calories and improve your overall health.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Yes. I struggle to do high intensity cardio, so distance walking is my go-to workout for days when I just can't do a run.

Great calorie burn!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal weight just by walking and eating right. It's totally possible, even those "stubborn last 5-10 pounds"

I don't have kids but my bff was determined to lose her baby weight (or rather, her husband MADE her but that's another story) and her doctor didn't give her the OK to work out for 8 weeks after delivery so 4 weeks after, she popped her son in the stroller and walked 6 miles a day, lost all her weight in 4 weeks and by 8 weeks was ready to start lifting weights again. She gained like 50 lbs during her pregnancy so I hope that's a little motivation for ya! ;-)

3rd edit: :laugh: My asthma went away when I stopped eating processed foods. I read some articles on how colors, preservatives, fillers, etc. cause your body to spend energy "fighting them off" so your immune system gets run down and it can't attack real pathogens when it needs to. I suffered from asthma and allergies since I was a kid and don't have that problem anymore. It's worth a shot.
  • ash1976
    ash1976 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That's all I did at first and I lost loads and quickly gained in fitness.
  • jujuwoome
    Options
    Leslie Sansone DVD's are great! Good for the winter time. They can be deceptively hard though. Start out small.
  • heatherlmorris
    Options
    Yes you can! I started walking a week ago 2.5 miles everyday. And just kind of watched what I ate last week and lost 4lbs in one week. Now this week I am watching what I eat and still walking everyday 2.5 miles and can't wait to see what I lose next week! Granted the weather has been good here in Michigan so I have been taking advantage of it and somedays if I have time I walk twice but that has only been about three times now. But yes walking is good! So get out and walk. I wake up every morning and just say a hour today that is all I need just one hour. So far so good! Good Luck!!!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, walking is how I started, then added more as I had time and energy! You go for it.
  • pumpkinspice08
    Options
    I started walking in September 2011...it is now January 2012 and I am 20 pounds lighter. On days it's too cold to walk outside I do the Leslie dvds. Walking is awesome exercise.
  • pinstripepirate
    pinstripepirate Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. The only exercise I did while losing the first 50 pounds was walking briskly, and over time I was able to increase my speed and walk even faster. Now I jog/walk intervals, use machines, and take cardio classes at the gym like spin and bootcamp to mix it up.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 30lbs by walking 3-4 times a week for 20-45 mins. Walking is still my exercise of choice though I'm getting into toning now as well.