Zumba, spinning, running??

Options
I can honestly say my favorite pass time is Zumba! I love my instructor, she does awesome! I go twice a week. On that same note, spinning gets me all excited as well! I dread heading there, but once Im there, it is just a huge relief. But, Running, I suck. Im not fast, I can barely do it for a full min. WHAT GIVES?? I cannot run a mile, and I know if I kept with it I would be able to. I have tried the couch to 5k, in which I only last til the 3 rd week, having to redo week 2 and 3 twice! Any one in the same boat as me?? any suggestions on the running aspect? Or really just anyone wanna YELL at me, to JUST DO IT! haha

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Well the more you do it, the better you get at it, and a lot of people have really good success with the C2K5 program. But I actually took a month off from even trying to run and did the 30 Day Shred, and then when I tried running again I had improved a lot - I could only run less than 5 minutes before having to walk before, but after I got through my round of the Shred I hopped on the treadmill and ran 12:30 before having to walk! I think that working on the strength in my leg muscles helped a lot. IDK if that's actually a good recommendation or just a coincidence or anything like that, just relaying my person experience. I was really, really out of shape when I started the 30 Day Shred too, so just working my body in different ways to improve my general fitness probably helped me a lot. Might not do so much for someone that is already pretty in shape.
  • continue29
    Options
    im with you on this one. I detest running... im rubbish at running.. Not actually sure if its more wont than cant though.

Ive tried to work my way up to running.. taking baby steps forward in time, speed & incline but once i get to the actual point of letting go & running... nope! - im done within 2 or 3 minutes. I just dont enjoy it.

The same doesn't apply to everything else.. ive worked on my fitness levels & can now do much more in other areas such as zumba, swimming, body pump, x trainer than i could when i first started.

The way i see it is this - if you are active & have plenty of variety in your exercise already then why force yourself to do one thing you really dislike?

l
    x
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    The best exercise is the one you do. The one you're most likely to do is one you love. Running just might not be for you. No-one NEEDS to run to lose weight or get fit.

However, if you want to give it another go, here are my beginner's running tips:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Please note point 1, its what might get you past week three:
    1. When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

There's no shame in repeating any weeks you need, by the way, C25K isn't one size fits all. Nearly everyone I know has repeated several weeks. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've ripped up a running programme and started again.

Good luck!
  • Hazelhippo16
    Options
    I am terrible at running - one street and I'm out of breath. I am looking or a zumba class as it seems fun and a fun way to burn calories.
  • mshel19
    mshel19 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    same for me i hate running i usually do the elliptical for half hr or an hr then maybe take a body combat class or zumba class i love dancing i used to when i was in highschool .. i would prefer to do classes and workout with groups of ppl than run, i just started ripped in 30 (jillian michaels) and its only 20 mins a day so i figure whynot its alot of work in 20 mins but i think in the end it will be so worth it :)
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    If you hate running so much then why do it?

On a different note if you stick with it you will improve and it will get better... you might even find that you enjoy it
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I think Zumba is as good as running! I dont know how many calories are burned during Zumba, but I was sweating at the end! It is so fun too! When you are doing aerobics, my trainer told me this: warm up for 15 minutes on one machine, then go to a different machine for 15 minutes, then one more machine for 15 minutes. So you would do 15 minutes on treadmill, 15 on bike, then 15 on elliptical!

15059117.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba, it's what got me started getting active and healthy. I also do Body Pump and spinning too, for diversity.

I started running in January of 2010 and HATED IT! I mean seriously, I fought running in any form and I sucked at it.

A year later, I'm planning to run a race a month and I can now run 2 miles without stopping. It takes time and getting your body adjusted to the endurance needed in running.

If it's something you want to pursue, just keep at it.
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Running is a HUGE mental game. If you go into it dreading it and thinking it's gonna suck, it will. I used to be in the Army and HATED running but I had NO choice but to get over my mental hurdle and just do it. Now that Im no longer in the military and I get to run for enjoyment rather than as a testing standard I like it so much more, I'm past the mental "have" to do this to just enjoying the run. That's not to say you will ever enjoy running but if it's something you really want to incorporate into your lifestyle try to look at it in a positve light and not about making it something you HAVE to do to be fit. Also think about what it is you don't like about running and come up with solutions. Do you get bored, do certain muscles hurt, do you get out of breath?
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I started Zumba at my Y after I had my son....I was feeling like a blob but I was tired of mindless, boring classes and endless hours on the elliptical. Zumba completely changed my outlook on fitness and honestly, probably changed my life. I actually looked FORWARD to working out - and it never really seemed like working out! I love this instructor so much that when she left the Y to open her own studio, I followed her and pay the extra membership costs. Two or three nights of Zumba a week mixed in with my regular gym routine help me avoid the gym burnout.
  • a_bradford
    Options
    Maybe running just isn't for you. It sounds like you have other things to do that you do enjoy. But if you want to keep trying, perhaps you'll find something that helps. Berryh's blog on the topic is a good one! I haven't been running long myself and don't claim to know ANYthing for sure, but here is some of what I've experienced:

The first few minutes are hard and make me feel like just stopping immediately. I run through them and then feel better. It doesn't help that my house is at a dip in the road, so either way I go, I'm heading uphill right off.

I got myself some Vibrams and suddenly running went from drudgery to enjoyable. I'd read about the elation that people experience when running barefoot or with this sort of minimalist shoe, and I've experienced it. That can be a problem though, because it works all kinds of muscles that never get worked in regular shoes, so in your enjoyment and "Hey, I can do this!" you push too much too fast, and can get into trouble (I tore a calf muscle). If you decide to try it out, read up on it and work up to it SLOWLY - which it sounds like you want to do anyway.

I started running in the spring and can now run two miles fairly easily - it's amazing to think back to when I could hardly make it once around a track. Of course having a nice place to run helps take my mind off feeling tired, so try to find a place where you enjoy the scenery and that isn't very hilly. Hills are for later! And like Berryh says, take it at your own pace. If you get tired quickly, slow down. Slow down until you feel like you can handle it. Trying to keep up with someone else who had been running for a while was really doing me in.

Good luck!
  • justforme8
    justforme8 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses!! I really want to enjoy running. I did my first 5K 2 years ago in october at 45:15 :/ not the best, but I LOVED the feeling afterward. I guess Im going to just have to keep chugging along at it. >;) I am so very glad Im not the only one out there with the mental or physical issues with running. Thanks again for all the advice and tips!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I haven't run for a few years, but it is something I really want to do again.

The first time I ever went for a run, I absolutely hated it and was sure I would never be able to do it, but I went back to the running club the following week, and stuck to it. Within a few months I had done my first 5k, then a 10k, and was up to doing 10 miles on a Sunday. Even when I was doing the long runs, the first ten minutes were the worse, it just takes time to get into your rhythm.

The hardest step for me is the one out of my front door!