brown rice improvements

Options
13»

Replies

• mari0605
    mari0605 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Oh I just bought cilantro and lime today to make pico de gallo...I'm trying your idea tomorrow. Sounds delish :happy:
  • reynolds33
    reynolds33 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If I am cooking 4 cups of cooked brown rice I first sauté the rice in1 tsp of sesame seed oil until fragrant and then add boiling water and cook covered until tender. The sesame seed oil adds a nutty flavor that I enjoy.
  • LovingCruz
    LovingCruz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I mix whole red or pinto beans, pico de gallo & cooked ground turkey instead of ground beef.

My 2nd favorite is frying it in a little olive oil and adding carrots and peas and toping with a nice piece of tilapia.

sounds good...yummy
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Add cumin to a little hot oil. When it turns golden brown, add garlic, ginger and a cinnamon stick. Then add turmeric when you add the water, bring to a boil, add rice. Also good with 50/50 rice and lentils. Vegetable broth is good too. Or the sauce of whatever you're eating it with. I'm with the people who like it plain, I guess it's an acquired taste.
  • FreshStart89
    FreshStart89 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i put two tablespoons of campbells chicken with herbs condensed soup. its very good :)
  • rbhoffman
    Options
    Bump
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jen91010
    Options
    Great ideas! I like to make the Success Instant brown rice, and mix it with tofu. I season it with garlic and sometimes add shredded cheese, but not too much. ;-) I call it "Cheezy Tofu & Rice".
  • JayneWilson1963
    JayneWilson1963 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mfoster1019
    mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i find that cooking brown rice in chicken broth instead of water makes it taste so much better!
  • astow8
    astow8 Posts: 24
    Options
    posting for later!
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Just had some brown rice tonight! I like adding carrots, celery, garlic, and onion as well as a little salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes (if I want a bit of a kick!) to my rice for just a plain side. If I'm making it southwestern style, maybe I'll add some tomatoes, corn, and chili pepper/cumin. MMm!