Riddle me this batman

Options
If I weigh a set of weights, (30 pounds to be exact) on my scale it will say 30 pounds. I will weigh in at 225-228. my mothers scale with 30 pound weights on it will also read 30 pounds but I will weigh 5-8 pounds less. Weight is always taken in the morning, always with only underwear on. No variable has changed except the scale. But both are calibrated before use.
Anyone care to take a guess?

Replies

• Niesah
    Niesah Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it could be something with the sensitivity of her scale?? I don't know if maybe it could read more accurate for a lower weight than a higher weight?? Just a guess...
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Could have something to do with the surface area? As long as you weigh yourself on the same scale every time, I would not worry about it.
  • Pams_Shadow
    Pams_Shadow Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    dang... this thread isn't what I thought it would be

Possible answer is that the scale is off a little bit and doesn't show until you reach bigger numbers. Might be off 1/2 for every 50 pounds...
  • plargomar
    plargomar Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Are both scales the same age? Or has your mom's been around for ages and the springs have relaxed? I remember my mom's was old as dirt and all you had to do was wiggle on it a little and it would give you a different reading LOL

If they are the same age, I would agree with the post above in that the sensitivity between the two at higher weights varies. As a quality engineer, we see this when the measurement device we pick for a large measurement does not have the sensitivity at the smaller measurements (think yard stick versus a micrometer).
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It's pretty common for a bathroom scale to lose accuracy as it's pushed towards the top end of its load range. They're not precision instruments...
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to get down to 30lb for the scale to weigh you accurately.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to get down to 30lb for the scale to weigh you accurately.

^^ This

HAHAHAHA

I believe I am in girl love.
    :laugh:
  • fantabayo
    fantabayo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Take your mother's scale to the same spot your scale is and reweigh it there. Sometime the different altitudes may mess with the scale and also it may be on a different surface. Your weigh is not as evenly distributed as the 30 lb weigh so a little difference in altitude may affect yours more.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    It's pretty common for a bathroom scale to lose accuracy as it's pushed towards the top end of its load range. They're not precision instruments...

This is true. Especially if your scale has a different upper limit than hers (for example: your scale's max capacity is 250, hers is 300).