weight loss pills

Options
Im contemplating getting some pills to give me a little boost, and to boost my self esteem to. What are pros and cons of these and does anyone use any good ones?

Replies

• smiliekiwi
    smiliekiwi Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a lot of on line research.. and I think they can help... No cons apart from cost from what I can see.
  • rsmithy89
    rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Depends if you want to spend the money really.

I see it like this:

They contain caffeine - at the very least, you will get some energy before a workout. I also felt more energetic throughout the day at work. It also comes in cheaper than a cup of coffee.

They contain green tea extract etc - They have some things that are an appetite inhibitor. Its good but I feel like you need to get used to controlling cravings by yourself or you will depend on these products for an extended period of time.

They need to be cycled - you cannot take this much caffeine and other ingredients in for a prolonged period of time. All the good fat burners need to be cycled.

They make you sweat a lot - the good thermogenics make you sweat a heap. Be prepared to be absolutely soaked during your workouts. Also good for losing water weight but this isnt fat.

As for fat loss, well they may help MARGINALLY. They are no miracle cure and you still require a good diet or fat loss will not occur. If you want that extra energy, give it a go. I also feel that if you fork out 50 bucks for a bottle of pills, you are less likely to quit because of that initial investment.

If the ones containing ephedrine arent banned in your country, get those. They are more effective than others.

Hope this helps.
  • Sianarella
    Options
    As someone who used diet pills (trust me there isn't one I haven't tried) just don't do it, I have made myself ill taking them, I couldn't function without them and they just mess you up and most contain speed.
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I took some stuff that a weightloss clinic prescribed me. It skyrocketed my blood pressure. I went and saw my family physician on Friday. He told me that I need to stop taking them. He said that yeah, they work short term, but you can't take them forever. He said that once I stop taking them, I would probably put back on the weight. He told me to stop taking them and just do my weightloss the old fashioned way.

Also, my mom tried some stuff last week and it sky rocketed her blood pressure as well. I have tried various types by the way since I was in high school. Here's what I have learned...
    1.) They make you jittery
    2.) They can make you feel sick
    3.) They can actually make you sick
    4.) Increase your blood pressure
    5.) Make it hard to sleep (even taken in the morning)

Yes, some I lost weight on. Mainly the reason was because it made me so sick that I didn't want to eat, or so sick when I did eat. Talk to your regular doctor before you try anything.
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    they are all crap for helping with weight loss. i have tried many in the past. but they can help with energy, it's just not worth the side effects.....you are better off losing the healthy, right way
  • jbahrami
    jbahrami Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You need to be careful with the way they can affect your heart rate and your thyroid functions...if you take them for too long, they can cause damage to your system. My worry with them is the fact that once I would reach my "goal", I would gain all the weight back due to the fact that you can't take them forever. I steer clear from them...too many worries with them. If you choose to go that route, you really should consult them with your doctor to make sure they won't interfere with your health. Good luck with what you decide to do!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I would skip them. Every time I tried them in the past 5 years I had no results. When I started eating right and working out regularly I lost weight. Granted, the same thing doesn't work for everyone, but I have to be concerned when you say that you think taking a pill will help you with your self esteem? How is that even possible?
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Dumb....
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If you don't already drink coffee, you could save yourself some money and try that every morning first. I bought a big container of it hoping to do stackers, then realized how nasty the OTC ingredient is, so now I'm just drinking the coffee. And I'm still losing weight. So if caffeine is the main ingredient in diet pills anyway...go for the coffee.
  • neversettle
    neversettle Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    SO bad for your heart!
    I was stupid and took them for a while in high school and I'm surprised I didn't have a heart attack.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Forget it, they don't work and if it does it will only be temporary. The only way to do this is to change how you eat and exercise. Diets are temporary. This is for life.
  • avimoo
    avimoo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    NO WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My aunt got addicted to them :(
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    My question would be if there are so many of them out there and if they actually worked why are people still obese? (same goes with "diet" foods).

Because the answer is not in a pill. It's in what we do to ourselves and our bodies. If we eat crap our body will work like crap (gaining weight, sluggish, health issues,etc). If we don't exercise all of the above. But if we make healthy choices, don't over load our body with food it doesn't need and get exercise because we need it then our bodies will work the right way.

You are looking for a quick loss and in my experience (lifelong dieter and no long term loss recorded yet) when you lose it quickly you don't have the healthy habits necessary to sustain the weight loss and you will usually gain it and more back.

Don't fall for the hype. You are strong enough to do it and you self esteem will sky rocket knowing you did this and not a magic pill!!!
  • ChrisIn757
    ChrisIn757 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    they are all crap for helping with weight loss. i have tried many in the past. but they can help with energy, it's just not worth the side effects.....you are better off losing the healthy, right way

I totally agree with this. Ive tried several different weight loss pills, and powders. I think they are all gimmicks, and nothing will help you lose weight the way good old fashion working out does. You may get some caffeine gitters out of them, or "energy", but that's about it.