pants...the difference between men's and women's sizes

mnishi
mnishi Posts: 419 Member
edited October 7 in Chit-Chat
Can somebody PLEASE tell me why men's pants sizes are waist and inseam in inches, but clothing companies assume all women are only one of three heights; short, regular, or tall. WTF?!? I'm too tall for a short and too short for a regular.
Just venting...

Replies

• dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    No clue but it annoys me too. I mean how much easier would it be to just say I have a xx inch waist and xx inch inseam then trying to figure out how a 26 inch waist translates to the coresponding size in women's clothes? I used to work at Gap Outlet and the rule there was to measure your waist and then subtract 20 to get the correct size in women. So if you had a 26 inch waist then you were a size 6. Although, on the flip side, I'm not sure I want to go shopping for my size in inches. That would just be depressing!
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    I suspect it's a marketing thing. They figure women are probably going to try the clothes on anyway to see how they look in the outfit, so the size is more of a guideline to tell you whether you should bother trying it on. On the other hand, they figure that men will say "Pants are pants, who cares?"
This discussion has been closed.