Sweet Sugar Substitute?

Options
MericoX
MericoX Posts: 199 Member
Are any of the sugar substitutes as sweet as sugar?

We got a Kureig, so I've been drinking more coffee, and finding a dilema of getting it sweet enough for me to actually drink it. A "pre diet" cup would have about 8 teaspoons before it was sweet enough for me to actually drink. Today I tried Sweet and Low and after about 20 packets I gave up and dumped the cup out as it wasn't sweet enough.

Has anyone found Splenda, or Truvia? to be sweeter? I will just give up drinking coffee because I am not drinking one that costs me 150 calories, or having 20 packets of Sweet and Low in it (and no, I don't like coffee that is not at least a little bit sweet).

Replies

• adidas1023
    Options
    I can't believe that you'd normally dump 20 teaspoons of sugar into a cup of coffee, although whenever i go to DD, I ask for double cream, double sugar (LOL). There is a sweetener called Truvia... it's sweet and doesn't taste too bad in hot beverages, although I don't think anything exists that truly tastes like sugar that is artificial. Good luck!
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I can handle splenda in coffee....foams a little, but tastes ok.
  • Dundreggen
    Dundreggen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Splenda lies, it DOES have calories, so if you are using a lot it will add up.

I like liquid sucralose, like ez sweetz, it has actual no calories. Also the funny aftertaste of splenda seems to be the filler, not the sweetner. I can't stand splenda anymore.
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    I dont know if this helps, but I use Sugar Free / Fat Free Vanilla creamer and it is super sweet. :smile:
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat. I would put 6 - 8 scoops of sugar in my coffee. Lately I've been cutting that down as much as possible. I've found that by putting about 4 sugar packets into my coffee it's usually enough to curb the bitterness and make it tolerable. It's not sweet like it used to be where I was literally drinking sugar at the very end of the cup...but that's what got me here in the first place.

None of the artificial sweeteners I've tried taste good. Sweet and Low is the only one I can really tolerate but I only need 1 pack of that to sweeten my coffee...I don't know how you could do 20...
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    go with something natural that has some calories but a slower release so your blood sugar doesn't spike like agave syrup or maple syrup. A little goes a long way. Or you can use raw stevia that has 0 calories but a little different taste.

Or try a favored coffee... if your coffee is bitter you're brewing it wrong.
  • kkm2605
    kkm2605 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Why not drink tea instead? The caffiene is there , no calorie.
    I think it with two sweet & low & sometime put skim milk in it... it's not bad.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    go with something natural that has some calories but a slower release so your blood sugar doesn't spike like agave syrup or maple syrup. A little goes a long way. Or you can use raw stevia that has 0 calories but a little different taste.

Or try a favored coffee... if your coffee is bitter you're brewing it wrong.

2 Things...have you tried agave nectar in coffee? I haven't but I've had agave nectar and I can't imagine it would taste very good in coffee...but I'd be willing to give it a shot...

As for the bitterness...I've brewed coffee every way I know how. I've bought every coffee from cheap to expensive, arabica to robustica. Even white coffee. I've had some pretty amazing drip coffees. In fact the one I'm drinking as I type this is fantastic. But still needs sugar. I've tried adding salt to grounds to cut bitterness. It just doesn't work. I've never had a cup of black coffee that wasn't bitter. The only one that ever came close still had a fairly prominent bitter note to it and tasted much better with a small amount of sugar (although only a very small amount was needed)
  • lukeout007
    Options
    Why not drink tea instead? The caffiene is there , no calorie.
    I think it with two sweet & low & sometime put skim milk in it... it's not bad.

I've tried this a few times but I just can't get in the habit. I like tea...but I LOVE coffee. And for some strange reason the last time I tried I drank tea for about a week and actually threw it up every morning that week. I thought I had some sort of stomach bug but it turned out the tea was making me sick. The weird part was that it wasn't all the same type of tea...I haven't had tea since.
  • Courtneycms88
    Courtneycms88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would say Steiva sugar but if you have to add that much sugar to coffee I would suggest chosing a different morning beverage. It sounds like you are coving up the taste of coffee so no reason to drink it. Try a 5 hour energy instead or even a little fruit juice. If you have a Trader Joe's near you they also have these new cream and sugar added coffee packets that taste great.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joe's near you they also have these new cream and sugar added coffee packets that taste great.

This intrigues me...are they low calorie?
  • 1HappyRosie
    1HappyRosie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Truvia works for everyone in my family, we switched from Splenda.
  • MericoX
    MericoX Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, I did not drink the cup with 20 Sweet and Low in it. I just sipped a bit of it, but once I got to 20 I dumped it and didn't drink it. And yes, it's mostly to take the bitterness out of it. I will try tomorrow for less regular sugar and deal with it I guess.
  • jgriser
    jgriser Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try liquid stevia
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Truvia is stevia so it is natural. Taste is good. I haven't tried in a large amount but watch it because 1 packet is sweeter than 1 packet of sugar or substitute. You can get some sucralose liquids (the stuff in Equal but Equal is mixed with sugar so it has calories) that are really good. Fiberfit and EZ-Sweetz I use all the time. Both taste great and you need just a drop.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    Just to clarify, I did not drink the cup with 20 Sweet and Low in it. I just sipped a bit of it, but once I got to 20 I dumped it and didn't drink it. And yes, it's mostly to take the bitterness out of it. I will try tomorrow for less regular sugar and deal with it I guess.

I've found this works pretty well. I wouldn't get too discouraged if you have to use 4 packets or teaspoons...it's still better than using 8. And as long as you can work it into your calorie budget I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
  • Courtneycms88
    Courtneycms88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joe's near you they also have these new cream and sugar added coffee packets that taste great.

This intrigues me...are they low calorie?

They are 50 calories per packet and I drink one a morning.
  • eacatterton
    eacatterton Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have been using Susta in my coffee for the last month or so and I really like it. It does not have an aftertaste like some of the other sweeteners and it is all natural. It also has some health benefits. check this out. http://sustastore.com/health-benefits.html I used to use 4 to 5 heaping spoons of sugar in my coffee, but I have cut down to 2 tsp of susta, sometimes a little less, depending on my sweet tooth for that cup of coffee. But I also use sugar free creamer in my coffee, so that helps keep the bitterness down as well. I don't think I would ever be able to drink a solid black no sugar cup of coffee, but I am happ with where I am right now with my coffee. It comes in at about 55 calories total for my 2 cups of coffee in the morning.
  • azuria518
    azuria518 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have used truvia and strevia. I prefer truvia. The strevia just didn't seem as sweet to me :-/.
  • SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    be careful with steiva - it can interfere with blood sugar levels and can cause low blood pressure. there are loads of articles on the net about it - plus other reported side effects!