Leslie Sansone's -walk away the pounds?

Options
One of my friends got Leslie Sansone's dvd's a while back and has since lost weight and is super healthy!
Was just wondering...is it just walking that she does in the dvd's?
Ive never seen it...so am not sure....how many miles of walking is it?
Ive just started walking (2 days ago) outside...and hoping for similar results? Can you get the same just by walking on your own?

Replies

• strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have one of her dvds too, and you can chose whether to do anywhere from 1 to 5 miles on the one I have. She basically walks in place, but she also does different moves like kicks, knee lifts, etc. to work different muscles.
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I love her workout DVD's she has a variety of them out there!

Kickboxing is probably my favorite. It's simple but yet she gets you to a target zone.

Plus her footwork is easy to follow. :)
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I just tried the walk and kick...good workout!
  • itsmskimmichelle
    itsmskimmichelle Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    She has a lot of DVDs! I do them almost everyday! You'll sweat! She doesn't just do walking but kicks, knee lifts, arm movements, squats..it varies depending which DVD you get. You can view them on Collage Video. You can buy them on Amazon or Target. She's fun! There's a group on here called Leslie Sansone. Join it!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can walk outdoors (weather permitting) - just keep a good quick pace. I used a treadmill for a couple years ....... until I got too bored with it.

Now I use Leslie Sansone videos several times a week. I don't have to worry about the weather or the time of day. Leslie keeps a nice brisk pace. I can bump up her workouts with light handweights. I like not having to think about workout music, or playlists. I can just pop in a DVD and go. The moves are so basic I can use my own music if I want to.

Here is a You Tube clip to show you what it's all about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsfbneFQ_8&feature=related
  • TeaBea
    Options
    One of my friends got Leslie Sansone's dvd's a while back and has since lost weight and is super healthy!
    Was just wondering...is it just walking that she does in the dvd's?
    Ive never seen it...so am not sure....how many miles of walking is it?
    Ive just started walking (2 days ago) outside...and hoping for similar results? Can you get the same just by walking on your own?

Answering your question - how many miles is it? If the DVD is from the "Walk Away the Pounds" series (originally VHS) .... the number of miles is on the cover ..... it can be anywhere from 1 - 5

If the DVD is from the Walk at Home series ..... it is (almost) always chaptered. That means you can "choose" the number of miles you want to do by hitting the "skip" button on your remote ...... or going to the menu.

Walk Slim 5 Really Big Miles is her newest. Very fun, good music (for a workout DVD) and chaptered. All the big box stores carry this one. As another poster said ...... collagevideo.com has video clips and reviews.
  • MHunte
    MHunte Posts: 149
    Options
    I don't do the dvd stuff but here is something you might want to read,

Most people report that weight loss and increased cardiovascular fitness are their principle
    goals when beginning an exercise program. Increased muscular fitness and appearance are
    also high on the list of goals. For the working professional, the over-extended, or the
    individual not wanting to spend hours and hours at the gym, the search for optimal exercise
    training is of preeminent importance. This search begins with bioenergetics and, as you will
    see, ends with incline training.In order to enhance cardiovascular fitness, the lungs, heart, blood vessels, muscle tissue,
    mitochondria, and the oxidative energy system must be stressed. This stress, often measured
    by heart rate, results in improved function by some or all of the physiological components
    involved. Research has shown that exercise intensities at or above 75% of age-predicted
    maximal heart rate are needed to stimulate significant improvements in aerobic fitness.
    Generally, exercisers must speed up their movement pace in order to elicit such a large
    increase in heart rate. This increase in speed may increase risk of injury and, as seen below,
    actually decreases the amount of fat utilized during exercise.
    The oxidative energy system is the only system capable of utilizing large amounts of fat for
    energy. In order to function as the predominant source of energy, the oxidative system
    requires that exercise be performed at a relatively slow pace. This is a result of the many
    enzyme reactions needed to transform fat tissue into a usable form. While a person is
    walking, the oxidative system is able to provide the majority of energy, resulting in fat being
    utilized to fuel. As an individual begins to run, caloric expenditure increases due to greater
    amounts of muscle tissue activated in order to propel the body at a faster speed; however, the
    rate of movement requires a gradual shift from reliance on aerobic energy production to
    greater and greater reliance on anaerobic energy production. Running at faster speeds results
    in a larger number of calories being burned but those calories are predominantly from
    carbohydrate stores rather than stored fat. In order to burn larger amounts of fat, the amount
    of muscle tissue activated must be increased while maintaining a slower pace of movement.
    Enter incline training! Examining Physiological Changes during Treadmill Exercise
    Recent research conducted under the direction of Dr. Matthew Rhea, Director of Human
    Movement at A.T. Still University, demonstrates the changes that occur when an individual
    exercises at different speeds and inclines on the Incline Trainer. This research used exercise
    science tools to measure changes in heart rate, oxygen consumption, caloric expenditure, and
    muscle activation under different exercise conditions. Among a group of 30 year old adults,
    walking at 3 mph with 12% incline resulted in the same heart rate at running at 6 mph on flat
    surface. The slower speed can be beneficial to reduce risk of injury during treadmill exercise
    while still obtaining the needed cardiovascular benefits.
    EMG measures, which identify the amount of muscle tissue activation, demonstrated
    important changes with the use of incline as well. At 0% incline, only about 20% of muscle
    tissue was activated in the legs. As incline was increased, muscle activity in the calf,
    hamstring, and gluteus increased. At inclines above 15%, muscle tissue activation in the legs
    approached and exceeded 75% of maximal isometric contraction.
    Perhaps the most significant finding of this research was the change in fat utilization at slow
    speeds and high inclines. With increased muscle activation at higher speeds and inclines,
    calorie expenditure increases. If only speed is used to increased energy demand, the body
    must use more and more carbohydrates as fuel because fat utilization takes too long.
    However, with the use of incline to increase demand while keeping the speed at 2-3 mph,
    physiological measures and calculations such as oxygen consumption and respiratory
    exchange ration demonstrated that fat utilization increases dramatically. It was hypothesized
    that the slower speeds allowed the processes involved in fat utilization to keep up with the
    energy demand. At 2 mph and 16% incline, over 6 calories per minute from fat were utilized.
    This was compared to less than 2 calories per minute from fat used at 6 mph and 0% incline.
    These data demonstrate the increased physiological demands while walking or running at an
    incline and present several useful applications of incline training. Individuals seeking
    increases in muscular fitness, cardiovascular fitness, and weight loss can effectively use
    incline to enhance the effectiveness of treadmill training. The most apparent benefits in these
    areas occur at inclines above 10%.
  • Lesah0808
    Options
    Walk away the pounds is one of the best workouts! I Love It & I was considering starting to do a mile daily, it's only 18 minutes. She uses a great variety of cardio moves & it's very easy so if you need to challege yourself you can.
  • gennybunny1
    Options
    I just signed out one of her books from the library and it had a dvd with it. I am loving it and will try to do it for the full 6 weeks that she recommends in her book. I have rediscovered the library and they have a huge variety of fitness dvd's that I am wanting to try.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to be the equivalent to like walking 5 miles [if you do the whole thing] or something, if I remember right. The DVD is pretty good. Not super intense but not super easy.
  • beverlywu
    beverlywu Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just started doing the Leslie Sansone series and now have a few dvds. They're really great! The intensity is not too high, so you can more easily exercise for longer periods of time. WAY BETTER than going for a walk. Basically it's low impact aerobics (except for 2 minute "boosters" on certain dvds where you jog a bit) - really easy on your knees.

4 basic moves - walking, side steps, kickbacks, knee lifts - then variations on those moves.

Lots of other muscles engaged in core and arms too, with or without resistance bands or weights. This is good for strength training, which you don't get by walking outside.

You can always add some arm movements or sit lower in the side steps if you want to bring it up a bit, which is what I often do. I try to do one session first thing in the morning and one more session in the evening.

My favourite walk booster is the walk belt is from the Walk at Home "Walk away your Waistline" dvd. Super comfy!
    I'm not a fan of hand weights. The firm band is good too, but it can kind of hurt your hands sometimes.

I have the Walk Away the Pounds Ultimate collection DVD - 1 to 4 mile workouts. I think some of the workouts were filmed quite a few years ago with a microphone that picked up everyone's voices...a bit annoying. Leslie's laugh and lame conversation with the walkers is annoying too, but I can get over that :P

Leslie is really good at reminding the viewer to take it one mile at a time, and to bring the intensity down or up at anytime you feel the need.

Overall, my favourite exercise DVD series so far. Great for winter because I don't have to go out in the cold or go all the way to the gym (major deterrents to exercise for me!)

Good luck with your walking!
    B
  • lifewithme2
    Options
    How would I add the 1 mile , 2 mile or 4 mile walk as my exercise? I love these videos.:wink:

Thanks,

Tracy
  • TeaBea
    Options
    How would I add the 1 mile , 2 mile or 4 mile walk as my exercise? I love these videos.:wink:

Thanks,

Tracy

You can either use low impact aerobics, or walking (no incline) at a speed of 4 MPH - both of these are pretty close.
  • MamaLuvsDJ
    Options
    I watched Leslie Sansone one time and fell in love with her. As someone who is just beginning her journey I find that out of every exercise guru out there....Leslie Sansone is easy to follow. I did one of her workout videos and I did sweat! I will be buying her DVDs, for the beginning I do not want to over do my exercise. I need to do it slowly if not I will easely fall off track. I recommend her!
  • TammyBee
    TammyBee Posts: 178
    Options
    I just started using her a couple of weeks ago and i LOVE her. Her videos definitely get you sweating and you can get many different ones at Walmart for cheap. If you want to try her out go to youtube and type in her name.
  • apirotte
    Options
    My sister gave me Leslie's DVD for Christmas last year and I've never watched it. I belong to a gym, so I do my workouts & walking there. But, my sister says that Leslie's DVD is great! She still uses her's at home. She started with the 1-mile walk and built herself up to 5 miles. She looks great and feels great! I need to get that DVD out and start using it. I'm very excited about myfitnesspal.com, though. After 2 weeks, I've lost 2 lbs by watching my portions, caloric intake, and exercising at the gym. Only 21 more lbs to go until I reach my goal weight! I can do it!!
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I like her. I got the Four Fast Miles - it's gets my HR up and was just $9 at Walmart. The pace is not too fast, but you're working your arms the whole time too, pretty much. My BodyMediaFit records her videos as almost all vigorous workouts, which is not the case of me just regular walking, so I feel like I'm getting a good workout.
  • dollienj
    Options
    I have the Walk Away the Pounds 4 DVD set at home - I need to get back into them. I actually enjoyed doing her workouts. She makes it simple to learn and the workouts are energetic. The intervals in the longer workouts can help keep your body from "getting used to" the moves - at least, it helped that way for me. I highly recommend them.
  • Susan77
    Susan77 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I enjoy he dvd;s and has lost weight with them!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Pretty much thats what she does!! She has a few other moves too, but its all very good and easy on your joints. I started with her and worked my way up to a 1/2 marathon!