Exercise after C-Section

Options
I'm 38 weeks pregnant. I was able to continue working out until 29 weeks pregnant. I've got Gestational Diabetes and my baby is breech. I've been trying to get him to turn, but so far unsuccessful. I will probably end up scheduled for a C-Section next week or the week after. I'm not a bodybuilder by any means. So I'm not at that level. But I did work hard to get where I was pre-pregnancy.

I want to know, realistically, when can I expect to start being able to work out. What type of exercises? When can I start running again? When can I lift heavy again. I've been worried about not getting back into the gym, but I don't want to bust a gut either. Any help is appreciated. I know I'm going to get a lot of "talk to you doctor". But let's face it, it's not the same as other people's real world experience.

Thanks.

Replies

• jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I had a c-section, you can't lift over 10-15 lbs for the first 2 weeks. Shoot, just walking upright is a chore for the first couple of days. I don't think you'll get a full release until at least 6-8 weeks postpartum but it may be even longer before you are able to lift heavy.

You may be able to do some running before that but you won't be able to jump right back into anything that you were doing before full force, you will likely need to start small. I would mention specifically the activities you want to resume, I'm sure your doctor will tell you incrementally what will be appropriate.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    When you are preggers you abdomen muscles actually separate to your sides. You have to wait for those muscles to return to their original position before starting any work out regime.

Hate to tell you, but talk to your doctor.