How do you do it?

Options
Everyone talks about these awesome low cal/carb meals, snacks, and drinks. It's easy for me to look up things like that to make, but I simply don't have all the ingredients in the world and don't go shopping for them for just one meal. I'm not a big cooker and don't want to eat the same things over and over. So I guess my question is, what is an example of your shopping list and approximately how much do you spend when you go shopping, and how often do you shop? I need to start somewhere but I just don't know where! Thanks in advance for any help!!

Replies

• joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Simple lean meats and green veggies are low cal/carb.
  • sewkool39
    Options
    I wold suggest looking at the recipe thread on this site. Find a recipe that sounds good to you, then look for things you have on hand that you might sub. An example would be a can of plain tomatoes and a can of green chillies for Rotel tomatoes. I did that today making the Taco Chicken Chilli.

Next thing I would do is make a grocery list, buying items that you can use in several recipes. As to how often to go to the store, with a good list, I only go once a week. We live in the country and go to town at least 3 times a week for Church, so I can pick up things I forgot, or milk and bread.

Hope this is of some help to you.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I make a HUUUGE pot of chilli that makes like 10 servings, then i put several pounds of chicken breast in a slow cooker and use those as my on the go meals. Awesome protien, and i only cooked 2 things but now i have food for several weeks.
  • kimborious
    Options
    Staples on my grocery list include

Ezekiel 4:9 bread
    Cottage cheese
    Greek Yogurt
    Laughing Cow Cheese (spreadable swiss is great on toast or sandwiches or with apples - processed? yes. Delicious, also yes.)
    Chicken breast (that I cook and cube and store for later use in tacos, salads etc.)
    FRUIT
    VEGGIES ( I am better at eating these raw or juicing them)
    Eggs

All of these things mix and match and make great snacks alone or combined in different ways.

Just with this list there are lots of nice combos. Simple piece of toast with spreadable cheesey goodness, veggie and/or chicken omlettes, various salad options (I use cottage cheese instead of dressing) Chicken tacos with greek yogurn in lieu or sour cream and lots of veggies. Diced bits of fruit tossed around with some greek yogurt and a smidge of honey.

Of course my shopping list always has random odds and ends, but these are things I always have close at hand.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Everyone talks about these awesome low cal/carb meals, snacks, and drinks. It's easy for me to look up things like that to make, but I simply don't have all the ingredients in the world and don't go shopping for them for just one meal. I'm not a big cooker and don't want to eat the same things over and over. So I guess my question is, what is an example of your shopping list and approximately how much do you spend when you go shopping, and how often do you shop? I need to start somewhere but I just don't know where! Thanks in advance for any help!!

Please understand, not everyone just goes shopping for an item for that 'one meal'....

One of things being medically required to do a low-carb intake, is that in conjunction with a food elimination list, I personally dont ever purchase prepackaged/processed food items. I work as a chef for a living and use my culinary background in conjunction with my medical background for patients...

Everything I purchase must be real food, fresh food all the time. I make my own ricotta (extremely cheap and simple to do) instead of paying the 5-6.00 per large container for when I make pasta. Im about to start making my own mozzarella and cant wait to be saving money.

I purchase my meats in bulk every four months. Everything gets broken down into four-serving type packages. Each package is either marinated (again only homemade recipes), season-rubbed, or left as-is so I can make some meals on-the-fly. Seafood is purchased the day it gets delivered to the vendors I go to. And, when I grab it, it gets consumed that night.. I only want the freshest possible.

Fresh vegetable repeats are onions, mushrooms, colorful peppers, carrots (hubby loves them), avocados, zucchini, summer squash, broccoli, cauliflower, and TONS of fresh garlic.

I will get a few potatoes for my husband but I cant eat them (I dont want to hear from future moderation-is-the-key-police, I cant digest them)...

No pasta for me, but pasta for him
    No rice for me, but rice for him
    Same goes for corn, potatoes, breads and most flour.