Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

iron .... eeeek

having suffered from anemia most of my life having intially becoming a vegge when 13 and made the decission in my 20's to eat fish I still struggle with my weight. Embarking on loosing 2 stone !

On the reports its great to be able to see all the different reports that can be produced. i think I am now eating healthier than I have done in years but note my iron intake according to the report is still around 50% of the recommended amount!

so any good iron rich recipes out there? and honestly how bad is my diet? and yes swopped the wine for vodka and weaning myself of the alchol heck diet, low on carbs and exercise making me moody enough !!

thanks for reading

Replies

• Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Just to let you know a lot of foods in the database don't count a lot of nutrients, especially iron, as it's not compulsory to label iron on food labels. So you may actually be getting more than that.
  • Avengertk
    Avengertk Posts: 102
    thanks. have started snacking on raw spinach with light soy sauce! and seam to be adding spinach to meals a fair bit. thinking though should go back to iron tablets :(
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    before you take any iron supplements you should really see your doctor. getting too much iron can damage your organs.

if you are unsure if you are getting enough iron, you should see your doctor for a blood test. i am a vegetarian, and i get a yearly check up that includes iron..my iron was higher than the norm..not by much..and i dont take any iron supplements.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    bump
  • GoCanada
    GoCanada Posts: 92 Member
    I agree with seeing the doctor just to see what's actually going on. I'm anemic and go for blood work every 3 months... I am on supplements because I have a hard time retaining iron at all and have to consume *a lot* to even keep normal amounts in. But that rarely happens, and tons of people can change through diet! I was vegetarian for a year and it didn't change my iron levels at all - actually shifted it a bit up (still WAY too low, but slight shift). The doctor can advise you on a route and possibly routine blood work to make sure diet changes are working as well! Good luck, I know how much anemia blows :(
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Spinach is a good source of Iron, but so are beets. I am Iron deficient, so I started taking a beet juice powder from The Aim Companies, and I feel much better, and my iron levels are in normal ranges now.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Firstly, your diary isn't public so we cant see what you're eating.

Secondly, don't rely on the database, especially for nutrients like iron.

Thirdly, make sure your bread and cereals have added iron.
  • When you eat that raw spinach make sure you have vitamin c with it so you can absorb the iron.
  • Avengertk
    wow thanks everyone..

yes i have been to the doctors and regularly have blood tests taken hence i know my iron level is seriously low. I have upped it a bit and stopped taking the iron suppliments (without doctors permission ) a while back but with the 'report here' i am thinking for once would be nice to have a normal iron count and due anotehr blood test soon.

how do i post my food diary ? am I weird I love snooping at others and any feedback on mine will be welcome (be kind!!).

gonna read back your posts to check I havent missed anything!
  • Avengertk
    oh and if my iron count hastn moved my doctor has told me a blood transfusion will be the next step!! obviously a route i do not wish to travel
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 292 Member
    Ferro Gradumet?? Not sure if you have that wherever you are - I am vego too and there is no way I would be chewing on raw spinach - ick.......
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    You definitely should go back on the iron supplements and add iron rich foods. I really like the beet juice powder, but eating lots of cooked beets is good too. Like the previous poster said, Vitamin C binds to the iron for better absorbtion. As to diary, go to setting, then diary settings and you can update that.
  • I'm also anemic- but I HATE the supplements.

I have had a big improvement in my iron levels from having a fruit smoothie every morning for breakfast. I have unsweetened greek or bulgarian yogurt, a banana, and three handfuls of baby spinach (not frozen). You can also add mango, or berries, or kiwi or whatever makes your tastebuds tickle. It helps if the extra fruit is high in Vitamin C, since Vitamin C helps with the absorption of non-heme iron found in uncooked spinach. I'm now just under normal levels, no longer at risk of a hospital visit and feel so much stronger!

I also enjoy a good spinach salad- baby spinach (preferably organic), mandarin orange (tinned or fresh), toasted almonds, and balsamic vinegar. SO delicious. If I feel naughty, I like to crumble in bacon too (shh!) but it is just as good without.

Happy spinach eating!
  • Avengertk
    I'm also anemic- but I HATE the supplements.

I have had a big improvement in my iron levels from having a fruit smoothie every morning for breakfast. I have unsweetened greek or bulgarian yogurt, a banana, and three handfuls of baby spinach (not frozen). You can also add mango, or berries, or kiwi or whatever makes your tastebuds tickle. It helps if the extra fruit is high in Vitamin C, since Vitamin C helps with the absorption of non-heme iron found in uncooked spinach. I'm now just under normal levels, no longer at risk of a hospital visit and feel so much stronger!

I also enjoy a good spinach salad- baby spinach (preferably organic), mandarin orange (tinned or fresh), toasted almonds, and balsamic vinegar. SO delicious. If I feel naughty, I like to crumble in bacon too (shh!) but it is just as good without.

Happy spinach eating!

I love the idea of mixing oranges with the spinach and balsamic with a sprinkling of almonds !! definatley getting the idea of mixing the Vit C with iron rich foods.
  • Avengertk
    and yes HATE the iron suppliments too for messing up my system shall we say lol
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member

We have a supplement in the UK called Spatone. It is in liquid form which you mix with juice (but not grape juice - tannins reduce absorption of iron, so avoid drinking tea when you eat). It is a more bio-available form of iron which means you absorb a lot more of it. That means that your body isn't having to "dispose" of so much (like with the tablets) and you don't get the digestive issues that you do with tablets. If you look at the dose on the packet it is much lower than the tablets but that is because you will be absorbing most of it rather than only 5- 10% like with the tablets. I don't get on with iron tablets but this Spatone works really well for me. I start with 2 or 3 sachets a day if I am anaemic and then drop it to 1 when I start feeling better or my blood work has improved.

http://www.nelsonsnaturalworld.com/en-gb/uk/our-brands/spatone/

If you're not in the UK you might be able to get it anyway or you may have something similar where you are. It might be worth talking to your pharmacist to get a supplement that suits you.
  • ninyaw
    ninyaw Posts: 13
    Found this link that might be helpful.
    http://www.ironrichfood.org/iron-content-of-asparagus-raw/
  • AriadneSnow
    AriadneSnow Posts: 131 Member
    I'm severely anaemic and I hate iron tablets too they make me really constipated and it doesn't seem to matter how much fibre I eat.

I'm taking a herbal iron tonic (Floradix - don't know if it's available in the US), I've just started, but so far no bad side effects. I'll have to see in a couple of months if it improves my iron levels but I feel like I have more energy.
  • Avengertk
    thanks everyone... still need to hunt out some more iron rich meals though <3
  • Avengertk
    I have an open diary if anyone can make any suggestions how i can increase my iron intake without resorting to iron tablets >>>please.