Make your own microwave popcorn

Options
dmoses
dmoses Posts: 786 Member
Wow... never really thought about it:

Drop 2 tbsp kernels into a paper lunch bag (makes 2 to 3 cups popped), fold over the top and microwave two to three minutes, or until the popping stops.

According to Yahoo, "Boxes of nukable corn are almost 25 cents more per ounce than loose kernels."

Replies

• hkmamma
    hkmamma Posts: 70
    Options
    and filled with chemicals!:noway:
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Its THAT easy?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    It really is that easy! I started popping 1/3 cup kernels in a paper bag a few weeks ago - and now my family is going through popcorn like crazy! I love how much less expensive it is - and how much better for us - than the store bought microwave stuff. I use a brown paper bag, 1/3 c popcorn, and use the popcorn button on my microwave - comes out perfect every time. Now if I could just stop loading it with butter.... :D At least it's real butter and not the flavored stuff!
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good to refresh this topic - yes, making popcorn is REALLY easy!

Three ways:
    1. microwave as described (you can also toss with oil and salt in a bag first, or add herbs for flavor

2. on the stove (~ 1 tbsp oil in a pot, add in 3 kernels, once they pop, add the rest and keep covered, shake to keep from burning, season afterwards)

3. air-popper machine ($20 on amazon, takes 2 minutes for a giant bowl of popcorn, season as it comes out for even flavor, oil and butter are to taste so easy to make healthy)

Oh, and as for cost? You can get a 2lb bag of kernels for $1.50 at our local grocery store! That's like 2 cups a day for a month.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    So if you use the microwave method, there is no need for any oils?
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    So if you use the microwave method, there is no need for any oils?

Right. You may get a lot of unpopped kernels, just like with commercial microwave popcorn. I'm going to try pre-soaking it to see if that helps. Fresh popcorn may do better than stuff that's been drying out for months.
  • Picola1984
    Options
    DAMMIT! I forgot to get a brown paper bag from work!

I will have to try this another day as I'm off 2mo
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    DAMMIT! I forgot to get a brown paper bag from work!

I will have to try this another day as I'm off 2mo
    Get more than one - I use the same bag several times, but sometimes they split after so many uses. It's one of our favorite snacks, I'm eating some right now. :tongue:
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I do the plain-brown-paper-bag route, maybe a pinch of salt if I'm feeling needy. But it's pretty good just plain!
  • Picola1984
    Options
    I did it! Although my bag burst at the bottom! I totally put far too many kernels in
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    I did it! Although my bag burst at the bottom! I totally put far too many kernels in
    LOL I have made mine nearly too full before! My standard measure is 1/3 cup of kernels, and I making it a heaping 1/3 cup if the whole family wants some (there are 3 of us). It fits in a large size lunch bag.
  • Picola1984
    Options
    I'm a bit unsure of how to count the calories of it now, the bag states in 100grams but I haven't a clue if thats popped

I had 5grams of popped which states 19kcal so I guess thats right!
  • k1mcat
    k1mcat Posts: 68
    Options
    Bump. :flowerforyou:
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Never would have thought to do this!
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit unsure of how to count the calories of it now, the bag states in 100grams but I haven't a clue if thats popped

100g of popped popcorn and 100g of unpopped popcorn is the same amount ;)

It's only the volume of it that changes
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking a washable muslin drawstring bag would be perfect if I'm popping it without any oil. Trapped steam makes popcorn tough. That's a project for this weekend.
  • Picola1984
    Options

100g of popped popcorn and 100g of unpopped popcorn is the same amount ;)

It's only the volume of it that changes

Lol, its like the muscle/fat weight question

Doh!