Blueberry Grunt (kind of like a cobbler dumpling thing...)

Options
speckle
speckle Posts: 40 Member
I had never heard of a grunt before...I adapted a recipe I found. Its essentially biscuits/dumplings baked swimming in a blueberry filling. Makes a single serving, but could easily be doubled or tripled.

If you omit the tablespoon of sugar, this is 260 calories. It takes about 15 minutes of prep and 20 of baking. A good dessert or breakfast, with lots of fruit!

1 CUP BLUEBERRIES
3 TBSP WATER
1 TBSP SUGAR
LEMON JUICE
CINNAMON + NUTMEG

Put everything in a pot and bring to a boil. I omitted the sugar the second time I made it, and it was still good, but if you want something sweet, add it in. The lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg you can just season to taste. I didn't measure those.

Let it simmer on the stove while you mix the dough, stirring every few minutes. Also, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

.5 CUP FLOUR
1 TSP BAKING POWDER
PINCH SALT
.5 TBSP BUTTER
.25 CUP MILK

Mix dry ingredients and cut in butter. (I'm lazy so i just melted the butter in the micro a bit and then mixed it in.)

Stir in the milk. The consistency is not super important. If it is a little wet or sticky, it will come out fine.

The blueberry mixture should have been simmering for 5-10 minutes. Pour it into a ceramic or glass oven-safe bowl.

Place dollops of dough on the blueberry mixture.

Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.

Eat while warm.

This is the recipe I adapted: http://veganyumyum.com/2008/07/individual-blueberry-grunts/
My biscuits didn't look much like that, but it gives you an idea of what a grunt is, if you don't know.

Replies

• speckle
    speckle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of a grunt before...I adapted a recipe I found. Its essentially biscuits/dumplings baked swimming in a blueberry filling. Makes a single serving, but could easily be doubled or tripled.

If you omit the tablespoon of sugar, this is 260 calories. It takes about 15 minutes of prep and 20 of baking. A good dessert or breakfast, with lots of fruit!

1 CUP BLUEBERRIES
    3 TBSP WATER
    1 TBSP SUGAR
    LEMON JUICE
    CINNAMON + NUTMEG

Put everything in a pot and bring to a boil. I omitted the sugar the second time I made it, and it was still good, but if you want something sweet, add it in. The lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg you can just season to taste. I didn't measure those.

Let it simmer on the stove while you mix the dough, stirring every few minutes. Also, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

.5 CUP FLOUR
    1 TSP BAKING POWDER
    PINCH SALT
    .5 TBSP BUTTER
    .25 CUP MILK

Mix dry ingredients and cut in butter. (I'm lazy so i just melted the butter in the micro a bit and then mixed it in.)

Stir in the milk. The consistency is not super important. If it is a little wet or sticky, it will come out fine.

The blueberry mixture should have been simmering for 5-10 minutes. Pour it into a ceramic or glass oven-safe bowl.

Place dollops of dough on the blueberry mixture.

Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.

Eat while warm.

This is the recipe I adapted: http://veganyumyum.com/2008/07/individual-blueberry-grunts/
    My biscuits didn't look much like that, but it gives you an idea of what a grunt is, if you don't know.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Yum! :love:

That looks good! :flowerforyou:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    That looks sooooo yummy! :happy: