Askin All cookers - Preparing Meals for ONE person !!

Options
diehard412
diehard412 Posts: 58 Member
Im a 28 year old male who currently lives alone.. I consider myself pretty good in the kitchen when I have to be.

My problem is i work 7 - 5 and by the time I get home its 6. So its really easy to live out of the freezer which i know is not the best solution... Please Help!!

I find it hard in preparing meals just for me throughout the day. i have heard of preparing meals for the week on a Sunday.

Does anyone out there have any simple easy meals that you could share??

looking forward to some good advice :happy:

Replies

• diehard412
    Options
    Im a 28 year old male who currently lives alone.. I consider myself pretty good in the kitchen when I have to be.

My problem is i work 7 - 5 and by the time I get home its 6. So its really easy to live out of the freezer which i know is not the best solution... Please Help!!

I find it hard in preparing meals just for me throughout the day. i have heard of preparing meals for the week on a Sunday.

Does anyone out there have any simple easy meals that you could share??

looking forward to some good advice :happy:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    could you try something along the lines of prepareing large batches of food on the weekend and then freezing single portions? Casserole type dishes work well for that. Then you just bake the meal you want. easy stuff!

a lot of my meals are really simple- a grill a lean cut of meat on my george foreman, I make a serving of rice, and I steam some veggies or throw together a salad. Less than 20 mins prep really.

Stir-fry is nice and quick too.... mmm and very yummy.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    could you try something along the lines of prepareing large batches of food on the weekend and then freezing single portions? Casserole type dishes work well for that. Then you just bake the meal you want. easy stuff!

a lot of my meals are really simple- a grill a lean cut of meat on my george foreman, I make a serving of rice, and I steam some veggies or throw together a salad. Less than 20 mins prep really.

Stir-fry is nice and quick too.... mmm and very yummy.

I was going to say the same thing! Stir fry and burgers, ha!

Also, crockpotting is excellent - you can make batches of beef stew or whatever and freeze in serving size containers. Then just pop in microwave for dinner.

Other things that I like to make when I'm alone (a rare luxury, really):

- Egg-white omelette with sun dried tomatoes (takes me 15 minutes to make) serve with green salad and whole wheat pita
    - Big ol' salad with whatever I have (veggies, blue cheese crumbles, grapes, etc.)
    - Tortilla with black beans and home made salsa (plain yogurt and fresh jalopenos as topping)
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Tam posted a good meatloaf recipe that you make in cups. You could freeze portions to pull out as needed. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/29116-diner-meat-loaf-muffins

Cooking things like taco meat, spaghetti meat/sauce... then you can defrost and toss stuff together.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    The meatloaf muffins are good. I don't use the muffin tin. I make small loaves about the size of two muffins. Bake. When cool wrap & freeze. Put one in the fridge in the morning and bake it with a potatoe when you get home. Make a side of salad or vegies to go with.

Soups, chili, spaghetti sauce, sauce for chicken cacciatore , pizza sauce (I make my own) all freeze well. Place into indivual servings. I let mine thaw in the fridge before I use them but in a pinch you can heat them on low when they are frozen.

I don't care for pasta after it's froze. So I always make fresh. If the soup calls for pasta take out what you aren't going to eat and freeze. Add the pasta only to what you are having that day.

Buy a rotissere chicken and freeze the meat you don't use. Works good in soups, chicken salad or just a sandwich.

I'm sure you'll get some more ideas. I like having things in the freezer for easy dinners.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Here's a blog post I wrote about that very topic. . .
    :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/viviakay/view/practical-tips-5010
  • marisa0918
    marisa0918 Posts: 178
    Options
    This is my fave plus it is sooo easy and cheap. I forget the calorie count on it though.

1 box of Pasta Roni Angel Hair Pasta with Herbs prepared as directed
    then I just buy some frozen shrimp, dethaw them under some warm water and toss them in.

It is sooo yummy. You can even get more creative and put in some steamed veggies or something. Plus a box of the pasta is seriously only $1.

My chili recipe is pretty easy too again I do not know the calorie count

brown up some ground turkey

mix in pot and simmer:
    1 large can diced tomatoes
    1 can rotel
    1 can dark red kidney beans
    browned turkey meat
    chili powder
    and usually I add about a can of water

ohh and beef stew
    1 package beef for stew
    some parsley flakes
    some baby carrots
    a couple potatoes cut up
    mix and simmer on the stove

I have a few other easy recipes. I work full time and have to come home and cook so I am all about easy :wink:
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options

i just recently started doing this. made a garden style lasagna from cooking light.com

i am going shopping tonight and making the following for the freezer:
    taco soup
    chicken artichoke pasta
    zucchini pasta
    those meatloaf in a cup things - not the muffins, but planning those for the future
    and possibly lemon butter tilapia....

so, wish me luck as i probably need it. or send money so i can pay for all this stuffisisis! :smokin:
  • diehard412
    Options
    easy and cheap is ALWAYS good to hear : ) You ALL have great ideas.. thanks soooo much : )

Scott
  • nicolet04
    nicolet04 Posts: 830
    Options
    i like to buy bags of frozen chicken. its so quick and easy. i just take one out on throw it in a pan with a little evoo, put some spices on it, throw the lid on and cook! takes about 15 min. u could buy those frozen vegis in the steamer bags to go along with it.

they make microwave steam bags that u could put some fish in with some spices and cook in minutes.

hope this helps!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Hey I work from home and find it hard to get dinner on the table some nights. My weapon of choice on busy days is the crock pot. I have two and I found timers for them.

I prepare all kinds of stuff in them from soups and chilis to all kinds of meat dishes. I throw everything in the crock pot after dinner the night before and after I get the kids to school I put the crock pot on and let it do the cooking for me.

You can find any recipe imaginable online. cookinglight.com has great recipes that are very yummy and take 30 minutes start to finish.

I also do the one day a week cooking thing when possible. I plan the menu ahead of time using meals that have similar ingredients so I can get all the chopping and prep out of the way, then I can cook everything at one time. I also prepare ingredients for stir frys ahead of time so on the day I plan to have that meal all I have to do is the cooking portion.

NOt always easy, you have to find the best solution for your schedule, good luck.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    My favorite - easy and quick

1 chicken breast
    Vegetables - microwave 3 minutes in a little water - then in to sautee pan
    Cavender's Greek Seasoning

add all 3 in to sautee pan - until chicken is cooked

Minute brown rice in individual cups (micro 40 seconds)

Dump on to a plate -

Done -