Work as a Workout?

Options
Hello! So I work for Peet's Coffee and am on my feet, moving constantly, bending, lifting, etc for 8 hour shifts, 5 days a week. I spoke with my sister who is finishing up her clinical nutrition degree at UCD and she said it's about equal to 180 minutes of a super slow pace (2.0)....but this doesn't seem right. Maybe because I've been doing it for so long it doesn't exactly feel like i'm working out but I'm obviously burning calories - any suggestion/ideas/input? Thanks guys!

Replies

• addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Don't log it as exercise. Just set your lifestyle as active and go from there.
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    I agree, choose the correct activity level setting but don't log it as a workout. Also from what you describe, it doesn't sound like it challenges your body enough to count as a workout (I could maybe accept in certain circumstances someone new to a physical job who is getting sore muscles, sweaty, exhausted might want to temporarily consider their work a workout of sorts while their body adjusts, but not the case here).
  • irismoon
    Options
    Activity that your body is used to doing doesn't count as exercise. Its a bummer. However, you do need to do as the first person replied. Set your lifestyle as active. This will account for the calories you burn while at work. Now if you do some extra stuff at work one day that you don't normally do, log that. Also there are great ways to add in some exercise while at work so that you can get in some extra calorie burn. You just have to get creative.
  • kaylielavin
    Options
    I definitely work up a sweat, so maybe I can find a middle ground?