Low Carbers- Help!! Sushi ?

Options

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I know I can opt for brown rice or just not eat the rice but is it totally gonna kill me having that small amount of rice??

Why did you decide to go low carb in the first place? Are they hazardous to your health somehow?

Anyway, the obvious answer of what to eat in a sushi restaurant if you want to avoid carbs is a big plate of sashimi.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    So... you're saying Sashimi is just the rice and no fish right?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a complete intolerance to carbs, why not eat it, enjoy it, log the calories and go back to your regular eating pattern tomorrow? I don't see how a bit of rice is going to ruin everything!!
  • sarscab
    sarscab Posts: 13
    Options
    Nigiri = raw fish on top of rice (also usually listed as just 'sushi' on most menus)
    Sashimi = raw fish served usually with a bowl of rice on the side.

There's about a cup of rice in most sushi rolls fyi.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    since when did rice become unhealthy?

Just eat it & stick to your cal goals.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    So my husband just called and said that his brother wants to take us out to sushi tonight :-( Can I have sushi? I know I can opt for brown rice or just not eat the rice but is it totally gonna kill me having that small amount of rice?? Options please!! I already had some carbs today so Im thinking its best not to touch any for the rest of the day to make sure uggh Sushi is my fav!!!

If you want to totally avoid rice - you need to order "SASHIMI"... they can serve it over Daikon threads....
  • emmyp_14
    Options
    I like to do weight watchers and I will do sashimi (Just STRAIGHT raw fish, NO rice) and then 1 cucumber roll which is 3WWP! :D Miso soup is also only 1 point!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

For some of us, low-carb intakes arent rice-happy....

For someone like me, its a food-allergy....
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Just stick with the sake... kampai!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    So if I don't want rice I should order the sushi right?
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    They just talked about this on biggest loser lt night. I think they said like 8 pieces equals 6 slices of white bread. I would opt for something else if you are that worried about carbs.
  • kaligrl1
    Options
    Ask for extra cucumber and avacado and just make your own creation on your plate.
    :happy:
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    One meal only negatively impacts you if you over do it. Stop stressing and enjoy life.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Check out this group...you might get better results.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group
  • lynnandtodd
    Options
    I love sushi too, and it's not taboo, no matter which kind of diet you're on. You just have to be aware of the portion size you're eating, and which kind of sushi you're eating.

Things like nigiri and a spicy tuna roll will have fewer calories than anything fried, like a sushi that has shrimp tempura in it.

Just plug a few examples into MyFitnessPal.com before eating, so you know what you're getting into ahead of time. For the most part, you're OK if you eat just three pieces of a sushi roll, rather than the whole roll of six or eight pieces, especially if the restaurant also serves miso soup and salad with ginger dressing with your sushi!

Bottom line is that I still eat sushi, but just in moderation.

Good luck and happy dining :-)
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Sashimi is the raw fish right? I like that but what about the rice underneath? Just skip it? or is it not that bad for you?

Sashimi is just raw fish but sometimes it comes with rice.

Just go with sashimi. Wasabi + soy sauce = YUMMO
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options

Low carbers, dude
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Sashimi + edamame = AWESOME

Ginger salad is good too.
  • fuzzimama
    Options
    They just talked about this on biggest loser lt night. I think they said like 8 pieces equals 6 slices of white bread. I would opt for something else if you are that worried about carbs.

That sounds a bit odd to me. Unless the 8 pieces are enormous! I make my own sushi, and I have entered the ingredients very carefully, and I normally eat 2/3 of a roll (4 pieces) and that is about 28g of carbs. Two pieces of fairly average wholemeal toast bread is about 34g carb, so unless those are big old pieces of sushi, sounds a bit off.

However, I live in NZ, and I do remember rather large food portions in restaurants in the USA, so its possible that my pieces are only about 1/2 the size of your portions. I make mine a similar size to those in sushi bars here.

I get that people like to eat low-carb, but for me, eating my sushi regularly hasn't stopped me losing weight at a reasonable rate, and in answer to your question "It won't kill me...?" I don't think it will LOL.
  • sansouchi1050
    Options
    I follow lower carbs also. Normally 40-80gm/day. Sorry wish I could give you ideas for dinner tonight.
    I did a quick search and it looks like most rice sushi has between 7-10 gms per small piece.
    I let myself have one meal every two weeks that I don't count carbs. Sometimes it's suchi, sometimes it's mexican. I've noticed if it's just one meal, and I continue my normal exercises then i don't hit a weight loss stall or gain.

Hope you get to enjoy your dinner out