Tried on the wedding dress.....and cried

Options
I bought an informal dress last year for my wedding as I couldn't afford the real wedding dress I wanted. Its a simple sundress.......its pretty...........

Well my fiancee and I decided to elope in April.....we were supposed to marry in August, but couldn't afford to. So I had to wrap my mind around the idea that we have to go to the court house :( Not my idea of the perfect wedding.....at least not the one I have been dreaming about as long as I can remember, but he is the perfect guy and I had to see that first..........I tried the dress on today..........and its awful.......it looks absolutely hideous on me......in another 50 pounds it may be nice....75 for sure, in fact probably quite hot....but I am not getting married 75 pounds from now. I am getting married next month.........I know its just a courthouse wedding, but I want to look at least pretty.......Don't wanna get married in my street clothes. And I can't afford a dress :(

Just *****in'......................

:brokenheart:

Replies

• sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I bought an informal dress last year for my wedding as I couldn't afford the real wedding dress I wanted. Its a simple sundress.......its pretty...........

Well my fiancee and I decided to elope in April.....we were supposed to marry in August, but couldn't afford to. So I had to wrap my mind around the idea that we have to go to the court house :( Not my idea of the perfect wedding.....at least not the one I have been dreaming about as long as I can remember, but he is the perfect guy and I had to see that first..........I tried the dress on today..........and its awful.......it looks absolutely hideous on me......in another 50 pounds it may be nice....75 for sure, in fact probably quite hot....but I am not getting married 75 pounds from now. I am getting married next month.........I know its just a courthouse wedding, but I want to look at least pretty.......Don't wanna get married in my street clothes. And I can't afford a dress :(

Just *****in'......................

:brokenheart:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    aaaawwww....:frown:

There are so many pretty spring dresses coming out, you'll be able to find something. :flowerforyou: Maybe even a 2nd hand wedding store will have just what you're dreaming of.

Don't give up, you'll be stunning no matter what! :flowerforyou:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    So sorry!! If I thought it would fit you I would send you the dress I got married in! I hope you can find something that will work and make you feel pretty - maybe even sexxay!!!
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    awww! :flowerforyou:

you are so stinkin beautiful sassy! i am sure something will work out for you! dont give up hope - i bet your perfect dress is right around the corner! :flowerforyou:
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    could you borrow something from a friend?? maybe a top to pair with bottoms you already own and then fab shoes?
    obviously, this idea may be completely unworkable, but just throwing it out there.
    when you say no $ you mean NO $? or very little? if it's very little, maybe a thrift store could have an item (top or bottom) that you can work with your existing "street" clothes and still feel fabulous.
    or wear your street clothes and get your hair done differently and new trendy earrings. draw the attn to your face and gorgeous smile. :happy:
    i know that none of these suggestions are ideal--but you have a good attitude about marrying the right GUY not the perfect wedding. that's a wonderful way to start your marriage. :flowerforyou:
    and congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    Thanks yall, maybe I will hit the goodwill and see what I can come up with........honey said he would marry me again every year of his life....so maybe next year I will be able to wear it...........:ohwell:
  • Elita
    Elita Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    maybe you can get it altered? or Try Dillards, they have some really cute dresses for under $100
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    Thanks I will look.

:ohwell:
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    ........honey said he would marry me again every year of his life....

that has got to be one of the sweetest most loving things i have ever heard. :heart: :heart:
  • Mrs_Ford
    Mrs_Ford Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    :heart: But you ARE so pretty & I'm telling ya your future hubbie won't be thinking..."wow, if only she'd lost that extra few pounds around her tummy she'd be amazing..."

Honestly, he's gonna see you & think, "Thank God this woman is gonna be my wife for the rest of my days. I can't wait to get the heck outta here & get back into my fave jeans & take my new wife to dinner!"

:smile: I know this cuz' my hubbie was thinking the same except he wore a suit. Guys don't think weight & if he didn't think you were amazingly beautiful he'd never think of putting that ring on your finger. ^.^

Just smile & enjoy the day you marry your soul-mate. No worries! :flowerforyou:
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Thanks yall, maybe I will hit the goodwill and see what I can come up with........honey said he would marry me again every year of his life....so maybe next year I will be able to wear it...........:ohwell:

Aw, now that's the sweetest thing I've ever heard. You definitely found the right guy and that's definitely what matters! :heart: Congratulations! :drinker:
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    could you borrow something from a friend?? maybe a top to pair with bottoms you already own and then fab shoes?
    obviously, this idea may be completely unworkable, but just throwing it out there.
    when you say no $ you mean NO $? or very little? if it's very little, maybe a thrift store could have an item (top or bottom) that you can work with your existing "street" clothes and still feel fabulous.
    or wear your street clothes and get your hair done differently and new trendy earrings. draw the attn to your face and gorgeous smile. :happy:
    i know that none of these suggestions are ideal--but you have a good attitude about marrying the right GUY not the perfect wedding. that's a wonderful way to start your marriage. :flowerforyou:
    and congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!

Thanks, I think I will do this. My guy thinks I am beautiful in a gunnie sack, big, small, makeup or none.....he is a country boy, and likely wearing jeans, boots and a cowboy hat with a nice shirt.......maybe I will pick out those dark wash jeans he loves and those 4 inch heels.....that strapless shimmery top he loves and do like you say and have my hair done.............................

Thanks, I guess I just thought I wanted it to be a bit fancier...................

:ohwell:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Don't be sad. You will be beautiful no matter what you wear.:flowerforyou: You might want to join freecycle and post that you need a wedding dress of a certain size. Someone may come through for you.
    Best Wishes.
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    Thanks all I feel much better.....still teary eyed......I try to keep this reaction from 9-5pm as my honey already works 2 jobs to keep us alive, if he saw how upset I was about this dumb dress he is likely to go rob a bank so I could have the expensive one..(j/k about the bank-but you get what I mean).......

And he is the GREATEST man I have ever known.....................so....I guess I have to just let it go.......:flowerforyou:
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    Don't be sad. You will be beautiful no matter what you wear.:flowerforyou: You might want to join freecycle and post that you need a wedding dress of a certain size. Someone may come through for you.
    Best Wishes.

Thanks, I will look at this

:flowerforyou:
  • Paeonia
    Paeonia Posts: 161
    Options
    Thanks, I think I will do this. My guy thinks I am beautiful in a gunnie sack, big, small, makeup or none.....he is a country boy, and likely wearing jeans, boots and a cowboy hat with a nice shirt.......maybe I will pick out those dark wash jeans he loves and those 4 inch heels.....that strapless shimmery top he loves and do like you say and have my hair done.............................

That sounds like a great idea! Add a country bouquet, or perhaps some flowers for your hair, and it sounds lovely :heart:
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Well, I say, just wear whatever to the courthouse. Lose the weight you want to lose, save some money, and renew your vows in the beautiful dress you always dreamed about, for everyone to see!!!!!!!

Memaw

p.s.
    You ARE gorgeous, and it's you he's marrying, not the dress!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • beagle595
    beagle595 Posts: 226
    Options
    Thanks all I feel much better.....still teary eyed......I try to keep this reaction from 9-5pm as my honey already works 2 jobs to keep us alive, if he saw how upset I was about this dumb dress he is likely to go rob a bank so I could have the expensive one..(j/k about the bank-but you get what I mean).......

And he is the GREATEST man I have ever known.....................so....I guess I have to just let it go.......:flowerforyou:
    I wore my Twin's dress.... that my Mom paid only $100 on clearance... My sister said I just had to take care of it... She got a little upset when I did "Wipe Out" in it.. But it all came out in the cleaning :happy: ... What you wear doesn't matter, just the person your saying " I Do" to does.. ... And he sounds wonderful. If he's wearing a hat.. At Fabric stores 95% of those employees sew and maybe they can help you throw something together for a veil. Either off a hat, headband etc, some kind of pretty hair accessory...Barrette anything.. You'll look beautiful regardless. A bride always has a special glow about her... It's your special day so enjoy it no matter what you do. Just be happy! :heart: (The only thing I had new was my shoes, veil, garter with a blue flower on it, I even borrowed my girlfriends jewelry)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to toss in my 2 cents-

my DH and I decided to get married on a Monday. We had been together for 7 and a half years, and we always planned to get married "once we can afford to". Then we found out that I needed three root canals. (gasp) His job had dental coverage, and I had none. We found out that if we were married, the insurance would cover me right away. So on Tuesday (yep, the very next day) we went downtown and got married (it helped that we lived in Reno (instant wedding availability) at the time). We wore nice clothes, but nothing that had been purchased for the event. We used rings that we already owned (my grandma's heart ring, and he used a horseshoe ring that an old cowboy had given him LONG ago) The only thing I purchased for the wedding specifically was 2 yards of tulle that I pinned in my hair. Our intention was to keep it a secret, and still save up for the "real" wedding. We looked at it like this: we weren't getting married because of the dental thing, we were just choosing our date because of the dental thing. We still got married because we love each other and wanted to commit to forever.

Later, we did buy "real" rings. It ended up being our 1 year anniversary gifts. I don't love it any less than if I had gotten it on day 1.

Now, three years later, I don't care a bit that we didn't spend thousands. I'm actually glad that we didn't. Our day was only about us two, and there was no stress, no hoopla, no meddling relatives, none of the drama that sometimes accompanies wedding planning. There are some fun parts I didn't get to do, but the net effect was still the most important part: we said our vows, we are married.

Hope that helps-
    :flowerforyou:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Aw, I'm sorry Sassie!

You really don't have to have a ginormous wedding for it to be a fantastic, special day. I got engaged March 2007. About the middle of June 2007, we said, "I think we should get married next month...", because of our upcoming schedules in the fall. Planned everything in a month. Bought my dress on Clearance for 60 bucks (honestly, it was EXACTLY what I was looking for...it was a simple white sundress). Had the wedding in an open field. No bridal party. no chairs for guests. because it was so short! Open ceremony (about 200 did show up! :noway: Totall surprised). Reception at my mom and dad's house.

And the greatest compliment that I received after it was all said and done was: "that was totally you...."

It was perfect. For us.

Even if you go to the court house to get married...maybe one day you can have a ceremony that you want! :flowerforyou: